This I Believe: Life Lessons by Dan Gediman

This I Believe: Life Lessons

by Dan Gediman

I’ve always enjoyed the NPR series This I Believe. It provides great perspective and can provide some great life advice. I remember the first book that came out. I got it in audiobook from the library, each story read from the author. Great leaders, thinkers, everyday people, and even some from the original series in the 1950s participated. Over time, I stopped listening and reading them. I think the stories from everyday people are just as powerful, sometimes even moreso. In this edition, it’s all stories like that. While many of them are very powerful, there are also many that seem to be reaching. Some seemed to make their story more than what it was. It reminds me of the early years of MTV’s The Real World. After the first few seasons, it was less a documentary about different people trying to live together and more about getting on the show to be a big star (and now it’s infected all sorts of reality shows). While many of the stories are illuminating, there are just as many that fall into this latter category.

Favorite Parts:
(From Caring Makes us Human)
“There’s a lot of talk about what’s wrong with prisons in America. We need more programs; we need more psychologists or treatment of various kinds. Some evern talk about making prisons more kind, but I think what we really need is a chance to practice kindness ourselves, not receive it, but give it.”

“…but by simply saying, “I need some help here,” he did something important for us. He needed us—and we needed to be needed. I believe we all do.” (p24)

(from Peace can Happen)
“Peace starts right here. Peace starts with you and me. It starts today.” She was right. I didn’t have to suffer personally in order to understand the pain of others. I believe that through compassion, peace can happen. It echoes from the heart of a single individual.” P. 31

(from Walking in the Light)

“I started to believe that no one is capable of knowing God’s specific identity, so I decided to seek him down my own path, because I believe that’s what he wants me to do.”

“The higher power I now pray to gives me love, joy, and comfort. And I’m not afraid of him. I had to break away from the God I was supposed to believe in to find the God I could believe in.” p. 44

(from I Could be Wrong)

“The real error is to be too certain to see my mistkaes. Certainty becomes a prison for my mind. Humble uncertainty lets the truth emerge.” P. 69 ( )
  shadowofthewind | Aug 28, 2012 |

"Inspiring life wisdom from people of all ages--based on the This I Believe radio programThe popular This I Believe series, which has aired on NPR and on Bob Edwards' shows on Sirius XM Satellite and public radio, explores the personal beliefs and guiding principles by which Americans live today. This book brings together treasured life lessons of people from all walks of life. Whether it's learning the power of saying hello or how courage comes with practice, their intimate reflections will inspire, move, and encourage you. Filled with the valuable insights distilled from a wide range of personal experiences, This I Believe: Life Lessons is a perfect gift--for others or for yourself. Includes extraordinary essays written by "ordinary" people who share the story of an important lesson they have learned about life Shares a wide range of beliefs and experiences from a diverse group of contributors, including a physician, a roller derby queen, a corporate executive, a homeless person, and many others Based on the popular This I Believe radio series and thisibelieve.org website No matter what your age or circumstances, this book will give you valuable food for thought and important new insights on how others have learned from life's challenges"-- "In this book, you'll find ponderings on life?s big questions, like "Why am I here"? and "What is my place in the world"? There are beliefs in the importance of saying hello, saying thank you, and saying ?I forgive you.? And there are revelations on the importance of listening to your inner voice and taking responsibility for one's actions"--… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,517,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible