Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane…

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (2012)

by Jane O'Connor

Other authors: Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator)

Series: Fancy Nancy (Book 13)

Fancy Nancy returns in this thirteenth picture-book devoted to her adventures, excited about the "Deep Sea Dances" recital her ballet class is putting on. Sure that she and her best friend Bree will win the part of mermaids, Nancy is distraught when instead she is give the role of a tree, and Bree that of an oyster. Things only get worse however, when Bree wins a mermaid role after all. Can Nancy work through her jealousy, and be happy for Bree? Will she discover that being a tree is a good part after all...?

Like its predecessors, Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet presents an entertaining story, one that offers a sympathetic portrait of its eponymous heroine's struggle to accept the less than 'fancy' realities of life. Fortunately, Nancy has a way of winning through her troubles, thanks to her warm heart, generous spirit, and her ability to find the 'sparkle' in everything she does. I appreciate those qualities in her, and the fact that author Jane O'Connor always manages to highlight an important childhood lesson - in this case, accepting disappointment, and being happy for others, even when they get something and we don't - without allowing her story to become at all preachy. The artwork here, as with all the other Fancy Nancy titles I have read, is colorful and cute. Recommended to all young ballet and mermaid lovers, and to anyone who has read and enjoyed other books about this high-spirited young girl. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 6, 2017 |
Nancy and her friend Bree want to be mermaids in the upcoming Deep-Sea Dance. Nancy hopes her ballet instructor picks them to be mermaids in the dance. Unfortunately the girls do not receive the part they want initially. Nancy is chosen as a tree, and Bree is the oyster. Nancy is heart broken, but the teacher later explains that Nancy isn't just any tree, but a weeping willow. Nancy is excited again about her part, and then suddenly one of the other dancers has sprained there ankle. Now the mermaid spot is open, but instead of Nancy receiving the part, Bree is chosen one. Nancy acts happy for Bree even though she is not, and this is a good way to teach our students about jealousy. Sometimes we will get jealous in life but we can not let jealous rule our life. Friendship is more important in this book, and just because you don't get something you want doesn't mean the worlds over. We move on and celebrate victories! ( )
  John_Spelce | Sep 1, 2016 |
Nancy and her best friend Bree will be in a ballet. They hope to be mermaids, but Nancy is a tree and Bree is a mermaid. Nancy becomes jealous, but her mother tells her to be happy for Bree. Nancy ends up loving her role as a tree and her and Bree perform perfectly. This is a good book to teach about being happy for others. ( )
  mamontgomery | Mar 28, 2016 |
My first Fancy Nancy. Very cute. A little pink and glittery for me, but I can handle it. :) ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
41 months - ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Jane O'Connorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glasser, Robin PreissIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Nancy makes the best of not dancing the lead in her ballet school's Deep Sea Dances show, but becomes jealous when her best friend gets a better role than hers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,008,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible