Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol…

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate (Manga)) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gail Carriger, Rem (Illustrator)

1631973,133 (4.15)16
Member:Tmyres77
Title:Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate (Manga))
Authors:Gail Carriger
Other authors:Rem (Illustrator)
Info:Yen Press (2012), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:*****

Soulless: The Manga, Volume 1 by Gail Carriger (2012)

This is an adaptation of the entire first Soulless book: starving made-vampires appear out of nowhere and have no clue what they are or how they're supposed to behave, there's a wax-faced man, and Lord Maccon is interested in Alexia. It even ends at the same place the book did, with the wedding.

That's a lot of stuff to cram into just one manga volume, but I thought the results were okay. I don't know that I'd have liked it as much if I hadn't already read the book – it fleshed out the world and characters a lot more. Just as with the book, I found myself wishing that the focus had either been entirely on the romance or entirely on the mystery aspect.

Some things:

- There is an accidental boob grab. Was this in the book, or is it just a rule that, at some point, the male lead in a romantic comedy manga must accidentally grab the female lead's breasts?

- One thing I noticed missing from the manga that was definitely in the book: all the issues surrounding Alexia being half-Italian. Alexia's father is barely mentioned, there's no hint that her skin isn't just as pale as every other girl's, and Alexia's belief that Lord Maccon couldn't possibly want her is based entirely on her age (she's 26, and therefore old) and the fact that she's an inexperienced spinster.

- I mostly liked the artwork, although I admit that I enjoyed the color pages at the beginning more than the black-and-white art that made up the bulk of the volume. However, I should note that there was at least one inconsistent detail. “VIXI” was sometimes missing from the wax-faced man's forehead. Oops.

- At one point, Alexia pulled a mirror (or glass) shard out of her cleavage. One, ouch. Two, due to stuff from the book being cut out, this no longer made any sense. Alexia explained the shard by saying she'd hidden it during a time when she was left alone, but the manga showed absolutely no moments when her captors might have been so stupid as to leave her on her own.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 15, 2014 |
This was a very well done graphic novel retelling of the Soulless novel (1st novel of the Parasol Protectorate series). I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of humor and action, along with a Victorian and Steampunk flavor. There is also quite a bit of romance.

Miss Alexia Tarabotti is a soulless or preternatural and finds herself attacked by a rove vampire at a ball. She refuses to be dismissed and insists on helping Lord Conall Maccon solve the mystery behind the appearances of more and more rove vampires. Alexia may be headstrong and smart, but is she strong enough to stand up to the attention and flirtation of Lord Maccon without becoming too emotionally involved?

This was a very fun read, it was engaging and I loved the illustration style. The illustrations are absolutely stunning. The costumes are extremely intricate and beautiful and I never had any trouble following the characters or story. The style is very manga-like but the book is read from front to back, left to right in American style.

I actually think this manga retelling was even more fun than the original full length novel. It hits all the best points of the story, there is a lot of humor, and the dialogue is witty and fun. This is the first time I have really read a manga that focused more on romance than action (although there is plenty of that). I actually really enjoyed it, it was just so much fun (I know I keep repeating fun...but it really was a fun read).

Alexia and Conall are a bit more light-hearted and goofy than in the original novel. Alexia is portrayed as much prettier and lady-like than I imagined her to be from the novels, still the slight shift in character worked really well for this manga style graphic novel. I loved Lord Akeldama, his overdone and flamboyant characterization translates perfectly into manga format and was incredibly well done.

Really this is one of those manga’s that was incredibly well-balanced. We are introduced to wonderful characters, there is an intriguing mystery, a solid world, action, romance, and beautiful illustration throughout. I really really enjoyed it.

I would recommend to older YA or adult readers. There is some nudity in here as well as some steamy scenes. Aside from that though the story doesn’t really have any swearing or horrific violence or anything like that.

Overall a stunningly beautiful and highly entertaining graphic novel. I really loved it. I would definitely recommend to fans of the Parasol Protectorate series. I would also recommend for those who love humorous manga that have witty dialogue, steampunk elements, and romance. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book! ( )
  krau0098 | May 18, 2014 |
This steampunk style paranormal romance graphic novel based on the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger is a fun, sexy little story about a feisty female in Victorian England who is unhappy with the restrictions placed on her gender. Bursting with curiosity and especially interested in scientific discoveries and inventions, she is constantly pushing against the social boundaries of her time. I loved the artwork, the fantastic facial expressions, the romance, and the interesting characters! ( )
  michellebarton | Nov 27, 2013 |
After reading a terrible, awful, no good very bad book, I needed something fresh and happy. I've had this manga in my to-read pile for ages, so it seemed a good time to grab it. Wise choice.

It's been several years since I read the novel for Soulless, the first book of Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. I was excited that it came out as a manga. Steampunk is a visual feast for the eyes--the technology, the fabulous clothing, the dramatic settings--and REM is an incredible artist. The novel translates to comic format incredibly well. There is that initial shift where the way I imagined the characters has to accept the artist's rendering; this was especially true for Lord Maccon.

Really, the whole way it was laid out was perfect. The wit and plot flow at a good pace--it's a very fast read. I remembered the basics of the novel but it had been long enough that I was still surprised by some of the developments.

In all, an excellent read that does justice to the novel and perhaps adds more through its gorgeous artwork. ( )
  ladycato | Oct 3, 2013 |
4/5

I read this as a group read. The book [b:Soulless|6381205|Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)|Gail Carriger|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1314020848s/6381205.jpg|6569140] had already come to my attention and is on my to read list. I was happy to get a preview of the book in this format. I think that the storyline was rushed since it fit the entirety of the novel into a manga whereas usually when that happens there are at least two graphic novels for a full novel. I also do not totally understand what a preternatural is.

But the story was exciting and I liked the drawings and characters. My favorite panel is the one about grovelling. I look very forward to picking up the novel and reading that series. I think I will also read the manga as it comes out but I'd like to read the novels first.

ETA: Entire boxed set of Parasol Protectorate novels for kindle for $20. I am very happy right now. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
REMIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Mama, it says here that a new gentlemen's club opened last week in Mayfair.

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette. Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate. With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Or will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?"--Amazon.com, viewed February 23, 2012.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,958,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible