Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have,…

Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have, the Answers You Need

by Rosalind C. PhD Kalb

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Multiple sclerosis is a mysterious disease affecting the brain and spinal cord. It's an autoimmune disease like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and the cause is unknown. It involves the destruction of the protective coating on nerves in the brain and spinal cord, causing the brain's electrical signals to be disrupted. The symptoms, their severity and course of MS vary, depending on the location of the nerve damage. Early symptoms include muscle weakness, lack of coordination, vision problems and eventually there are cognitive problems.
This book, by Dr. Rosalind Kalb, is one of the most useful books one could find and is written in a straightforward, easy-to-read style. There might be more information than one could want, but the question and answer format makes it easy to dip into the book at various points and read as much as needed at a particular time. In fact, reading it cover to cover would be impossible in my opinion. It is divided into four parts, each of which is a collection of articles by specialists in their field, covering topics ranging from alternative therapies, sexual dysfunction, and navigating insurance and work issues. It will help a patient and his/her family cope with the disease, be better able to make financial decisions and develop plans for daily life. ( )
  terran | Apr 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For anyone who has been diagnosed with MS -- or anyone with a family member or close friend who has been diagnosed -- this book is an excellent resource. In a clear question-and-answer format, it covers just about every aspect of life with MS. That includes emotional and psychological issues to legal questions, about employment and financial planning. And it's written by experts for laypeople, so you feel comfortable that you can rely on the information -- and understand it. It's really a reference work, not something you are likely to sit down and read cover to cover. But if you have a question, or an area of life with MS that you'd like to know more about, this is the first book I would consult. ( )
  keywestnan | Apr 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Medical books typically fall into two categories in my opinion. so overly medical that they don't make sense to the typical reader and those so simple that they are dangerous. This book falls into the third category, medical books that are actually useful and informative. Multiple sclerosis is described in easily understandable language and it makes sense when you are living with MS or someone who has MS. The discussion of symptoms and treatments is well done. The question and answer format allows you to zero in on the actual events you live with or are afraid you might have to live with. Fear, that is the key to my positive review. So much of living with MS is the fear of what might be that it is easy to miss the fact that one can actually live with the reality of MS and live happily when one understands the disease. My wife and I live with her MS everyday and the topics covered in this book are exactly the topics that help us ensure that we live a happy life despite what MS may or may not conspire to visit on us. Knowledge always make it easier to deal with whatever problems you have to face. I highly recommend this book for anyone with MS, for anyone who has a family member with MS, or anyone who is afraid that they might have to deal with MS. ( )
1 vote bill | Feb 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recently went through a series of hospital stays with my son and one of the possible diagnoses was MS. This book was so helpful and answered all the questions I has and then some. It is written in layman's terminology and is organized into great chapters. I can not think of a more comprehensive guide to this disease. ( )
  Brenda63 | Feb 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have MS and found this book interesting but also a little overwhelming. I did appreciate how they formatted the book in questions and answers so that you didn't need to read the entire book in fact they recommended that if you were new to MS that you don't and I could understand that the more I read. But they are thorough on things that pertain to MS. The information is very complete.
  tjward | Feb 14, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193260345X, Paperback)

A diagnosis of MS can feel overwhelming, even terrifying. Though over 400,000 American's have received that diagnosis, succinct answers on the issues surrounding MS can be hard to come by. This guide is the definitive resource for those who need information on this debilitating disease. Organized in an accessible question-and-answer format, it includes information on diagnosis, epidemiology, and the condition's emotional, social, and economic aspects, as well as descriptions of common medications and helpful advice for managing symptoms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:24 -0400)

This book is a guide for everyone concerned with the disease, those who have MS and those who share their lives with someone who has it. It covers a wide range of topics in an accessible question and answer format that allows people to easily find the information they need while providing a model of successful communication with healthcare providers. The contributors are leading authorities in all areas of multiple sclerosis management, who proffer expert answers to the most common questions about living with MS, medical, emotional, social, and economic, and represents a interdisciplinary approach to the disease. The books' goal is to help those with MS and their families formulate questions to ask their healthcare providers so they can manage life with MS. The chapters cover topics ranging from neurology and treatment to emotional, sexual, and employment issues. Introductory material is followed by a series of questions most often asked of the authors in their work with MS. The new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated throughout. All the chapters have been reviewed and revamped. The book provides the most current information on Multiple Sclerosis including a review of the controversy surrounding chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCVSI) and Multiple Sclerosis. It contains a discussion of the first two pills in development for Multiple Sclerosis (up to this point all Multiple Sclerosis treatment have been injectable), new information on the drug Tysabri, and discussion of other newly developed drugs and drugs that currently under development. -- Provided by publisher.This book is not just for people with MS and their families, friends, and colleagues. It is for everyone. With one in 750 people living with MS, each of us knows, knows of, or will know someone with MS. We all have questions about MS that we need answered. This book asks questions and gives answers. The simplicity of the "Q and A" approach serves many purposes. The questions are set out from the rest of the text in their own font and bolded typeface; they make it easy to flip through a chapter to find exactly what one is looking for. There is solid factual information. See, for example, the chapters on the disease and its epidemiology and on the ADA, FMLA, SSDI, and PASS. It offers advice on communication, planning for the future, and sexuality as wells as on parenting, family dynamics, and how to bank and budget energy. -- Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rosalind C. PhD Kalb's book Multiple Sclerosis: The Questions You Have, The Answers You Need, Fifth Edition was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Demos Health

An edition of this book was published by Demos Health.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible