Mystery Men by David Liss

Mystery Men

by David Liss, Patrick Zircher (Illustrator)

Who Are The Mystery Men?

For my Summer Book Bingo card we had to read a comic or graphic novel. My son has just recently showed interest in comic books so I picked one of his- Mystery Men. It's the first book in a five book mini-series that was written in 2011. It featured all new pulp-era characters set in Marvel continuity. I've always liked the gritty and stylish 1930s period so I was drawn to this particular comic with the New York City backdrop. This first story starts out with the murder of an actress, Alice Starr, and a conspiracy to frame her boyfriend. We're introduced to two of the characters, The Revenant and The Operative, who end up joining forces to find the true killer.

Now I've read very few comic books in my lifetime so I'm definitely no expert but I was very impressed. By the end I was wishing I already had the next book so I would say the writers did a pretty good job. They reeled me right in anyways! The next time we go comic shopping I'll be on the lookout for the rest of the series.

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

David Lissprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zircher, PatrickIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Introducing Marvel's all-new, never-before-seen heroes of the 1930s! With a new evil washing over an unsuspecting New York City, the Operative, the Aviatrix, the Surgeon, the Revenant and Achilles blast through dangers from blood-soaked mob warehouses to monster-infested mansions, and fight to blow the lid off a conspiracy that could bring the nation itself to its knees! Award-winning historical-thriller novelist David Liss (BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR) and acclaimed artist Patrick Zircher (SPIDERMAN NOIR) weave an edge-of-your-seat and in-continuity adventure intertwined with America's most scandalous crimes!

COLLECTING: MYSTERY MEN 1-5

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

"Introducing Marvel's all-new, never-before-seen heroes of the 1930s! With a new evil washing over an unsuspecting New York City, the Operative, the Aviatrix, the Surgeon, the Revenant and Achilles blast through dangers from blood-soaked mob warehouses to monster-infested mansions, and fight to blow the lid off a conspiracy that could bring the nation itself to its knees!" --Provided by publisher.… (more)

David Liss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,777,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible