The Woods of Windri by Violet Needham

The Woods of Windri (original 1944; edition 2003)

by Violet Needham

384298,882 (4)3
Member:CDVicarage
Title:The Woods of Windri
Authors:Violet Needham
Info:Jane Nissen Books (2003), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Kerry's, Girlsown, 2012 Reading
Tags:Fiction, R2012, Girlsown

The Woods of Windri by Violet Needham (1944)

Adventure and romance set in Mediaeval times, originally intended for older children and teens, but I had never read this before. It's a good story, although so complex that I lost track of some of the details, and I liked the two children in the story: the page Theo, whose ancestry is gradually uncovered, and ten-year-old Magdalen who is courageous, intelligent, and rather a tomboy.

The writing is good, if dated, and probably gives good idea of the kinds of feuds and violence that was normal in this era. Children were beaten, traitors were hanged, prisoners tortured. There are no gory details, but the implications are there in what seems, to my mind, rather a callous way. The end of the book is rather disturbing too.

Perhaps three-and-a-half stars would be fairer, as it's certainly a good story which kept me interested right up to the end. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I remember reading Violet Needham's medieval-style adventure stories set in imaginary lands when I was a child, though they were perhaps a little old-fashioned even then. I saw this title had been reprinted and ordered a copy; I can see why I found them appealing, as the children are the heroes and are quite strong.
  PollyMoore3 | Nov 24, 2012 |
I've only recently discovered Violet Needham's books - this is my second - and I'm enjoying them very much. This is an exciting, and moral, tale. I found it a bit hard to distinguish all the characters and their relationships to each other at the start but as the action got going it all fell into place. I think this may be my problem rather than the book's, as it seems to be happening to me a lot lately. It must be age creeping on... ( )
1 vote CDVicarage | Nov 18, 2012 |

Violet Needhamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruce, JoyceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nettell, StephanieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Lord of Windri was pacing up and down the platform of the keep of his castle.

The Woods of Windri is a tale of the past with knights, monks, bandits and warriors flitting across the scene. Windri Abbey and Windri Castle contend for possession of the boy, Theodore Felix Amadeus. The boy plays a major part in unmasking a plot to murder the Count of Monte Lucio, who is wooing Phillippa of Windri, and in thwarting the designs of the criminals. He is helped din his strange adventure by a hermit and by the Lord of Windri's little daughter, Magdalen, sister of Phillippa.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,132,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible