The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks

by Amanda Hesser, Merrill Stubbs

1207169,027 (3.93)2
"The best recipes come from talented home cooks! On Food52.com (named "Best of the Web" by Saveur), bestselling author Amanda Hesser and food writer Merrill Stubbs have curated the first-ever online community cookbook, the basis for this gorgeous full-color book filled with more than 125 delicious seasonal recipes from the country's most inventive home cooks"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

There are some good recipes in this cookbook, but boy, are there are some pretty darn yuppie recipes in here. General rule of thumb - if your recipe calls for saffron, you're officially entering into the realm of yuppy cooking. ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |
I'm sure there are some hidden gems in Food 52 cookbooks, but if you are an avid reader of food blogs or have an extensive library of cookbooks, you will find a lot of well trod territory. I didn't find much that I hadn't made before or seen in cookbooks I already own (mine is a library copy). Nothing jumped out and screamed, "Me! Make me!"

My main complaint, however, is with the organizational structure. The format is in keeping with the voting style of the website, which does not translate well to print. These books are great for leisurely perusing and bookmarking for later, but not for "what should I make for dinner in the next hour?" If I have a hankering for soup, instead of going to the soup/starters section, I have to flip back and forth from the table of contents to each soup recipe until I find something that meets my needs. I found it very frustrating.

Apropos to vegetarians: there are quite a few photographs of meat dishes in progress, so, if you are squeamish, this may not be your book. I am not particularly, but I found raw, splayed chicken to be a tad jarring in between photos of cocktails and cakes. Category divisions would easily solve this problem too. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
First book for the Cookbook Club & Potluck at the library! The organization leaves something to be desired; it's separated by season, but there are "wildcards" in each section, and the seasons aren't necessarily based on seasonal ingredients. There's also no central table of contents, you have to go to each season or the index.

But the recipes themselves are great! Everything everyone made for the potluck turned out really well, though the star of the show might have been the Faulknerian Family Spice Cake (sooo much butter). The stuffed olives were excellent too, and the savory bread pudding, and the kale and quinoa pilaf, and the secret cookies. I made the pita chips and they were indeed better than the store-bought ones. ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 16, 2017 |
Little did I know when I picked this book up that I was going to be completely swept away. First Food52 is a website created by the authors to support home cooking. I could spend a day there just looking over their dinner and a movie section.
The cookbook represents a year's worth of recipes that the authors gathered from their website. These are not just any recipes but the winners of a variety of contests they hold.
The recipes are real world recipes - sophisticated and yet homey. I can imagine my family eating these foods at the dinner table. I pictured my son enjoying buttery cookies and exotic soups and loving them.
I can't even begin to pick out a favorite and I'm sure my days will be consumed with fitting these recipes into our menus.
I liked that the recipes stretched beyond my comfort level but not so much that I was intimidated. The cookbook its self is open and honest like sitting down with friends to talk food.
The recipes are adult but can easily be served to children (minus the numerous inventive cocktails). I like that there are whole foods in these recipes and they are not too complicated. This is definetely one that is going on my shelf at home. ( )
  SDPogue | Jan 24, 2012 |
I received this book as a gift and I have turned to it several times since. The book is a set of recipes that won weekly contests on the Food52 website. Recipes have category titles, like "Your Best Brunch Eggs" or "Your Best Recipe with Horseradish," and winners were picked by the site's editors. Photos are gorgeous, as should be expected from a group of food bloggers. Comments at the end of the recipe from the dish's creator, site editors, or members of the community include anecdotes or helpful tips. I turn to blogs frequently for recipes, and the problems I find there - recipes that are poorly written or not detailed enough - are not problems with this book. However, it is not a comprehensive cooking guide and some of the more challenging recipes (like the Meyer Lemon Macarons, p324) lack the basic instruction that usually comes from a more structured cookbook.

I have tried a few recipes from this book and am planning a nice dinner to feature something fancy for my mother, who gave me the book. Every vegetable side I have made has come out perfectly, and I must recommend the Absurdly Addictive Asparagus (p338), which is every bit as wonderful as it sounds. ( )
1 vote sarah-e | Jan 20, 2012 |

Hesser, Amandaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stubbs, Merrillmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,572,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible