From the Ground Up by James Villas

From the Ground Up

by James Villas

James Villas's latest collection is dedicated to ground, shredded or minced meat and fish. All the usual suspects are here (meatloaf, Bolognese sauce, meatballs), in addition to more exotic fare like French seafood quenelles (ground fish or shellfish mixed with egg white, formed into ovals and poached in a fish broth), a Brazilian salt cod souffle, and Moroccan Bisteeya (phyllo pastry with a spicy/sweet chicken filling). I haven't had time to try any of the recipes yet, so I'll have to make some photocopies before I return the book to the library. ( )
  4fish | Nov 30, 2011 |
From the Ground Up by James Villas features recipes using all kinds of ground or minced meats. If you are thinking this is a cookbook full of burgers and meatloaf think again! There are literally recipes from around the world including dumplings, turnovers, quiches and croquettes with a few comfortable favorites like chilis and meatballs through in. I was surprised by the number of fish and seafood recipes included. There are no pictures and the soft cover cookbook is pretty plain, but the recipes are easy to follow and he mentions substitutions making finding ingredients simpler. Below are the recipes I tried and what I thought of them.

Spanish Chorizo- Stuffed Mushrooms -
This is the best stuffed mushroom recipe I've tried! The salty, meaty sausage combined with the mushrooms make for an unami delight. This will become a regular appetizer at my parties.

Greek Lamb, Raisin, and Pine Nut Spanakopitas -
I liked the idea of this dish better than I liked the reality. The flavors didn't seem to go together very well and the phyllo was messy to work with. This is the one recipe I tried that I likely won't repeat.

Maryland Deviled Crab -
Very rich and not too spicy. This was a decadent way to start a fancy meal. I won't make this often, but when a need something rich and fancy to start, maybe New Years Eve, I'll make this again.

Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes -
Easy, healthier and tastier than average sloppy joes. I made these for kids and they were gobbled up. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight supper.

Italian Proscuitto and Spinach Frittata -
This was my favorite recipe from this cookbook. Delicious flavor combination, quick and easy to make, and I would be happy to eat it breakfast, lunch or dinner!

This is a good cookbook for spicing up your regular routine! ( )
  frisbeesage | Oct 31, 2011 |

A world tour of beloved ground meat recipes from award-winning author James Villas

Ground meats are easily affordable and amazingly versatile—and common in almost every cuisine. Ground beef, pork, poultry, and seafood are staple ingredients across continents and cultures, but they've rarely been given the respect they deserve.

With favorites like the classic American hamburger and steak tartare, croquettes and crab cakes, From the Ground Up collects 200 recipes that span the globe, all presented with the passion and style that make James Villas one of the world's most admired food writers. Here, he pays loving tribute to this underappreciated culinary wonder, letting it take its rightful seat at the head of the table. With delectable dishes from far and wide, this fantastic collection is stuffed with inspiration. James Villas was the food and wine editor for Town & Country magazine for 27 years and is the author of Pig, The Bacon Cookbook, and The Glory of Southern CookingFeatures 200 ground meat recipes from all over the world, including British meat pies, Jamaican patties, and American meatloafs and chilisThe perfect cookbook for families, with affordable, tasty comfort foods galore

For home cooks looking for quick and delicious dinner solutions, From the Ground Up offers classic dishes the whole family will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:19 -0400)

Collects recipes from around the world for a wide variety of dishes featuring different types of ground or minced meat and seafood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible