Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and…

Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible)

by Ginger Garrett

Being a fan of Bible stories in general and of Samson's story in particular, I really was looking forward to reading this book as it tells his story from a totally different point of view, that of the three very important women in his life.

From the start of this book, I knew it would be different and I thought I was prepared for it, but I was also surprised by its content as well.

I didn't really expect an accounting about Samson from the Bible nor the movie I saw long time ago with Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr, but I also didn't expect this sweaty, smelly beast of a man who goes after what he wants without caring who he hurts. A man in this book is vicious, vengeful and way too dark. He was unappealing and I couldn't picture him at all as a hero.

Delilah on the other hand was the only character that made this story worth the read. Her characters evolution was well written and I enjoyed watching her become the seductress we all read about in the Bible.

If you're looking for a different viewpoint of this story, and one that offers at times a sensual, dark and emotional view, you might like it. Personally, I found it too depressing.

Mel for b2b

*Book provided by publisher through NetGalley. ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
A powerful and unique take on the biblical story. The strong female characters, good and evil, leave their mark. Persuasive and intriguing. The writing is stylized though not overly florid, as befits the subject, and the imagery is rich and colorful.

I found the novel filled with wisdom and strength from both the female and male characters. It's a fresh and intriguing view of a world long past, with ageless truths sprinkled throughout its pages. In short, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Sep 6, 2013 |
Title: Desired: The Untold Story of Samson & Delilah
Author: Ginger Garrett
Pages: 368
Year: 2011
Publisher: David C. Cook
There are many interesting people who lived in Biblical times whether one is referring to the Old Testament or the New Testament. Each testament offers to us truth about the One True God who reveals Himself, starting in Genesis. The times those people lived in are vastly different than ours culturally as well as politically, economically and more. There is one thing that is the same: We are a people created to know God relationally through Jesus Christ.
Samson and Delilah were people who lived before the time of Christ. Readers can learn about Samson’s true history (nonfictional) beginning in the book of Judges Chapter 13, which is located in the Old Testament. There are several historical books that can be read to understand the times and people that can help readers grasp the history of that period.
Ginger Garrett writes a fictional tale of Samson and Delilah that will captivate the reader as it is told from point of view of Samson’s mother, Amara and Delilah. Being told from three different women’s’ points of view is helpful as readers get to understand the possible thoughts and feelings of women in ancient times. In ancient history, women were raised in a patriarchal society. Their lives were to be led and cared for by men. As such, some had good, rich and full lives while others weren’t as fortunate. Some people today use this as a reason to live a life focused on doing without the “restraints” the Bible teaches. This is unfortunate and living life with less instead of more.
The novel’s chapters alternate between the women in Samson’s life and his mother, allowing us to understand both sides of the action. We see what happens when a man doesn’t live his life according to what God has said, but we also see the redemption of that life God brings. Samson lived during the time known as the Judges when Israel had no king and they did what “was right in their own eyes”. The novel fictionalizes many of the true events in Samson’s life, which serves to captivate the imagination of the audience.
Remember what Ginger Garrett wrote is a wonderful fictional tale you can enjoy and share with others. Then, read the true account of Samson from the Word of God, beginning in Judges Chapter 13. I found the novel reminding me of how short we fall from what God has planned for us, and how He redeems us when it seems like all hope is lost.
My rating is 4 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 7, 2013 |
DESIRED caught me off-guard as Samson’s story unfolds, not shared by the man himself, but told by 3 different women involved in his destined demise. Let me just say that the story was not as heart-wrenchingly beautiful as the song Hallelujah; instead, there was anger and blood and not nearly enough love to soften up Samson’s churlish behavior. This story is so very different than what I anticipated that it startled me – I ended up comparing Jesus’s patience as he preaches on dusty roads to Samson’s vengeful violence as a way to heal his broken heart. DESIRED may be a welcome addition to those who appreciate a good biblical retelling such as The Red Tent or A Reluctant Queen, but the story does not have as much warmth that I generally prefer and the ending leaves me slightly puzzled about how things went down. *proceed to Google for Samson and Delilah story* And now I think I can understand where DESIRED was coming from, but I think Samson’s vices had too much pagetime to make much sense of Samson at the end. ( )
  theepicrat | Feb 19, 2012 |
Ginger Garrett is a masterful storyteller. Through vivid descriptions and accurate research, she sweeps the reader away on a trip to the ancient city of Timnah during Philistine rule. The wine is plenty, the idol worship is rampant, yet love is still sought in this heathen land. It is here that the Hebrew, Samson, meets his Philistine wife, Amara, and where she becomes the first woman to betray him.

But she will not be the only women to claim such a title. Delilah, who most have always associated with a seductive nature, begs and pleads for Samson to share his secret with her. Through several tests, we know that he does indeed share this well-kept secret, and it leads to his demise.

For those readers familiar with this tale from Judges, do not be convinced yet that you know the whole story of Samson. Garrett has a few surprises up her sleeve. This dramatic Biblical story will have you burning the midnight oil, and will also have you reaching for your Bible to compare both stories when you are finished. ( )
  southernsassygirl | Oct 15, 2011 |

Meet the legendary Samson as you've never known him before ... through the eyes of the three women who loved him. Before Samson was an Old Testament legend, he was a prodigal son, an inexperienced suitor, a vengeful husband, and a lost soul driven by his own weakness. This is his story as told by three strong women who loved him--the nagging, manipulative mother who pushed him toward greatness, the hapless Philistine bride whose betrayal propelled him into notoriety, and the emotionally damaged seductress--the famous Delilah--who engineered his downfall and propelled him to his destiny. "Desired "celebrates the God of Israel's to work powerfully in the midst of hopes, fears, desires, and sorrows.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,115,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible