Animals: Black and White by Phyllis…

Animals: Black and White

by Phyllis Limbacher Tildes

This is an informational book about all different kids of animals. The book is written so that on the left side of a page, it gives a short description of an animal and then asks what animal it is. On its adjacent page, it gives a close up picture of the fur or skin of the animal that is in black and white. The next page after that reveals the animal and gives a bit of information on them. I would use this for middle grades in school, perhaps 2nd or 3rd. ( )
  kfrost32 | Oct 21, 2015 |
I think this is a good book for multiple reasons. One reason I like this book is for its engaging writing. For each animal the author list three facts about an animal and then ask "What am I?". I like this element because it allows the reader to think about the given facts and make predictions. On the next page the animal is then revealed and given more information. Another reason I like this book is for it's point of view. The book is written in first point of view. Although we know animals can not talk, it is nice to hear their true facts as if they were the ones who were actually telling us. The overall purpose of this story is to inform readers about the different animals though out the world that are black and white. ( )
  acaine1 | Mar 6, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of the suspense created after each description of an animal however I did not like the use of a specific species of butterfly used in the text. To a young reader and even adults reading this to their children it is wonderful to get the child excited about how many animals are only black and white in color. With each description the reader learns a bit about the animal before being told which animal has been depicted. In addition this suspense makes the reader want to read more about the animals to be discovered. Although this is true I feel that the one weakness is the use of the African Mocker Swallowtail. When I think of butterflies I think of Monarch Butterflies that have bright colors. To a reader unfamiliar with the different types of butterflies in the world this may be a bit confusing and yet also interesting to learn. Overall the message of this book is to inform the readers of the many different animals who live on our planet who are only black and white. ( )
  anunez1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Good for Kindergarten through second grade. Good for science and studying colors. ( )

Children love reading this book because it allows them to gather information and make an educated guess. They love predicting what the animal is. I like teaching children what a prediction is and this is a great way to have them practice making predictions. I like that you can remind the children that they need to listen carefully to the descriptions for clues to make their prediction. It is also another nonfiction fun to read picture book which I really like. I read this when we study wild animals.

Phyllis Limbacher Tildes deftly delivers the pieces to put together these pattern puzzles. First take a peek at each black-and-white animal and read a short clue. Can you guess who it is? Turn the page and the answer is revealed in vivid color. Animal fac

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

While one page presents specific information which serves as a clue to the identity of a particular black and white animal, the next page reveals the name of the animal.

Charlesbridge

An edition of this book was published by Charlesbridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible