The Secrets of Animal Flight by Nic Bishop

The Secrets of Animal Flight

by Nic Bishop

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 20, 2017 |
Its always nice to find childrens books that still teach me new things, I usually stray away from books that have the word science on the front, which I was curious about this one but to my surprise when I opened it and started to read about flying frogs and lizards that live around the world I found myself entranced. If this book can bring in someone like me who has always despised the sciences than I applaud it, it is a very interesting and colorful book which will keep the attention of even non-believers like myself. I loved the real pictures because it makes it real to the reader and the wheels start turning in their brain because of it.
  jzerba | Mar 17, 2013 |
This book was extremely interesting. I dont know if it was appropriate for children because it talks about complex stuff like the physics of flight. It explains it in an understandable way but I can't really see a student fulling grasping its concepts. ( )
  dwall011 | Feb 25, 2013 |
This book explains about all different types of animals who fly. It goes into why animals fly. They fly to get around or escape predators. It also goes over the secret of flight which is the wing. It has really great pictures. At the end it also has further reading about the different specific information about the different flying animals.
This is a nonfiction informational book.
This is a really great book especially for children who love flying animals. I love the pictures in the book and it is also very informative.
This is a really good book to use in class to help teach children more about flying animals. One thing that is really great about the book is that it teaches children about how animals can fly. It has a great thing children can do to learn this by holding up a piece of newspaper and blowing on it to see how the wings work.
  shungate | Jun 6, 2011 |
This attractive book explores flight in the animal kingdom. After considering the reasons why animals fly, Bishop discusses the more difficult topic of how they do it. A simple demonstration of aerodynamics gives way to an explanation of what happens when a bird flaps its wings. Other topics include taking off and landing, soaring and gliding, and the different types of wings and modes of flight in bats, insects, and butterflies. The many colorful photographs (bolstered by a few diagrams) expand the text with precision and beauty.
  jenflock | Jun 5, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061880904X, Paperback)

More than three quarters of all land animals fly, from butterflies and birds to beetles and bats. Some birds can stay airborne for hours with only an occasional flap of their wings, flies can hover and perform split-second turns, while bats can execute their precise maneuvers in total darkness. How do they do it? Find out the secrets of animal flight - the principles that keep fliers as different as ladybugs and eagles aloft. And discover some puzzles that scientists haven't yet been able to solve - nature's mysteries of flight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

In text and photographs, presents birds, insects, bats, and other flying animals.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,036,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible