After the Cross by Brandon Barr

After the Cross

by Brandon Barr

After the Cross has a little bit of everything for every reader. There is mystery, history, and a little bit of romance. There is suspense, danger, violence, and a journey of self discovery.

There was a bit of shifting POV and I know for some people that can get confusing, but in this book it was beautifully executed and well organized so as not to detract from the story at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. I loved the history behind it, which seemed very well researched and easily incorporated into the story.

I am relatively new to the genre of historical fiction, and especially historical Christian fiction that delves into the history behind artifacts important to one's faith. I found that I could easily get lost in the pages and find that the story really did drag you in.

I think for anyone of a Christian background who enjoys the history of things, this is a must read. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Colton Foster, once hailed as a renowned expert in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek, had his reputation destroyed when a shadowy antiquities dealer outwitted him with master forgeries from Solomon’s Temple. Ten years later, an 800-year-old letter is discovered in an excavation site in Turkey—the ancient library of Constantinople. Colton is thrown a lifeline when he is invited to form part of an archaeological team whose task it is to translate the letter, which purportedly reveals the location of the Cross of Jesus Christ. Colton is angry to find one team member he thought he would never see again: Mallory Windom, an ancient languages expert. Colton blames her for the events leading to his ruined career. Mallory is smart, beautiful, and likes nothing more than getting her way. Her shadowy past in the black market antiquities trade also make her a prime suspect in the events that ensue once the letter has been translated, and the original destroyed in a mysterious bomb attack on the research offices.

Colton and Mallory find themselves enmeshed in a scenario of double and triple cross, where other interested parties and their agendas—political, personal, and religious—clash with devastating results. Their colleagues murdered, their lives at risk, with huge rewards on their heads, Colton and Mallory know they must find Christianity’s most prized relic before less scrupulous people do so. In a trail that leads from Turkey, to Israel, to the Ukraine, and peppered with mysterious clues, the duo must keep one step ahead. Apart from the race against time, both Colton and Mallory must find what they have both lost—trust, belief, and faith, as well as deal with falling in love.

An intriguing blend of archeological thriller, historical mystery, and love story, this book will appeal to most. Authors Brandon Barr and Mike Lynch have a feel for the kind of intrigue, and hectic pace, that keep a reader glued to the page. The plot is exciting, the historical background is well researched, and the many twists and turns keep the reader guessing. Flashbacks to various historical events are interesting and add to the unfolding of the story, taking the reader back in time in a subtle way. Although sometimes I felt the authors told the reader too much, and anticipated the main characters’ reactions, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.
First reviewed for Readers Favorite ( )
  FionaRobynIngram | Aug 29, 2012 |
AFTER THE CROSS by Brandon Barr and Mike Lynch is an interesting Christian Fi historical fiction. It has faith,mystery,intrigue,Archaeology,historical details,deceit,political ambitions,murder,violence,and flashbacks into a world hundreds of years in the past. While "Afer The Cross" starts out a little slow to me it picks up the pace nicely. These authors have given vivid descriptions and historical details throughout the story. The characters are easy to follow,strong,determined and will capture your heart. "After The Cross" is a must read for anyone who enjoys historical christian fiction after all it is talking about one of the greatest gifts,the Cross of Jesus Christ,a holy relic that people would murder for in this story with a touch of romance.If you enjoy Indiana Jones,or National Treasure you will enjoy "After The Cross". This story will appeal to any christian reader,Archaeology,and historical readers. A great read! Received for an honest review from the authors. Details can be found at Ellechor Publishing House LLC,the author's website, and My Book Addiction and More.
RATING: 4
HEAT RATING: SWEET
REVIEWED BY: AprilR,My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Apr 7, 2012 |

Colton Foster, once hailed as a renowned expert in Latin, Hebrew and Greek, had his reputation destroyed when a shadowy antiquities dealer outwitted him with master forgeries from Solomon s Temple. Years later, his career and self-respect still in pieces, a team discovers an 800-year old letter in Istanbul and his life takes a pivotal turn. The job of translating the letter, purportedly revealing the hidden cross of Jesus, is his for the taking, and with it a chance to redeem himself.
As Colton and Mallory hunt for Christianity s most prized relic, mysterious forces seem bent on stopping them at every turn. They soon discover that the most important struggle of their lives is not around them, but from within, testing their beliefs, their ethics, and their growing love for one another.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

Colton Foster, once hailed as a renowned expert in Latin, Hebrew and Greek, had his reputation destroyed when a shadowy antiquities dealer outwitted him with master forgeries from Solomon's Temple. Years later, his career and self-respect still in pieces, a team discovers an 800-year old letter in Istanbul and his life takes a pivotal turn. The job of translating the letter, purportedly revealing the hidden cross of Jesus, is his for the taking, and with it a chance to redeem himself. Mallory Windom is smart, beautiful, and skilled at getting what she wants. A linguistic prodigy with a dark history, she trusts no one, an important skill in the black market antiquities trade where she regularly sells her expert talents to the highest bidder. As Colton and Mallory hunt for Christianity's most prized relic, mysterious forces seem bent on stopping them at every turn. They soon discover that the most important struggle of their lives is not around them, but from within, testing their beliefs, their ethics, and their growing love for one another.… (more)

Ellechor Publishing House, LLC

2 editions of this book were published by Ellechor Publishing House, LLC.

Editions: 0982624204, 098262428X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,384,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible