Flesh & Bone (Benny Imura (Rot and Ruin)) by…

Flesh & Bone (Benny Imura (Rot and Ruin)) (edition 2012)

by Jonathan Maberry

Member:lesleydawn
Title:Flesh & Bone (Benny Imura (Rot and Ruin))
Authors:Jonathan Maberry
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Horror, 2012

Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry

Fire & Ash by Jonathan Maberry (JacobDecker)
    JacobDecker: Continuation of the story

Maberry churns them out I keep reading them and I love all of them.
They are getting close to the end but what will the find? I couldnt put this down. ( )
  JacobDecker | Apr 22, 2014 |
Thus far I like this book the least of them all, but certainly not because the writing or subject matter was poor or lacking in anyway.
This book deals heavily with loss and depression, loneliness and pain both internal and otherwise, and it addresses the issue of mortality in a much deeper and more mature manner than the previous two books.
What I disliked was the mood, but certainly not the message. Messages.
In fact, it is through this book that I not only feel as if I've gotten to know (not necessarily like) the characters but also Maberry himself. We all know that fiction is not necessarily a reflection the author's beliefs but I got the distinct sense that Maberry was making some serious social commentary. Normally this might annoy me, but much of it was necessary and well placed. My sense was confirmed by the post script wherein Maberry discusses some of his personal tragedies that occurred while writing this book and how they molded/shaped/affected him.
All in all the actual action was tightly woven with the character's emotional evolution and this made for a dark and bruised tale that often felt slow.
I liked this installment and I hurt for the characters we've met and learned to care for, which is a testament to Maberry's skill.
I am tired of losing beloved characters though.
I'll go on to finish this series once I've dried my tears and bound my wounds and have said a prayer of gratitude. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |
If you are interested in a story that has action, adventure, over the top villains, very likeable heroes, and zombies, lots and lots of zombies then you should pick up one of the Benny Imura series by Jonathan Mayberry. Having just completed the third in the series, Flesh and Bone, I have gorged on these items.

After a stellar start to the series, I was a little less enthused after reading the second book. I am happy to report that this third book brings the series back on track. In this outing, the group that Benny is leading have gotten to the desert and finds themselves caught up in a battle with a group of zealots who call themselves The Reapers. At the same time, they hear of a place called Sanctuary, a place that may offer hope for the future and respite from this world of the walking dead.

The action comes fast and furious and the pages turn quickly as Jonathan Maberry continues this quest story. Benny, Nix, Lilah and Chong face many and varied dangers before the end of this segment. A quick read with very little literary value and like the other books in this series, it ends abruptly leaving many questions to be followed up in the next book. Like a bag of potato chips, I like to save these books for when I want to indulge in something with lots of flavor but with very little nutritious value. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 25, 2014 |
** spoilers for the previous books in the series**

In spite of tragedy, Benny Imura surges on to find the airplane he saw flying through the air with the help of his friends, Nix, Chong, and Lilah. They still traverse the Rot and Ruin towards the unknown, but their hope stays strong. The world is a wild place now. Exotic animals hunt them. Zombies attack them in swarms and not just slow, normal zombies, but faster, evolving zombies. A death cult grows large and picks off towns and villages one by one, leaving a wake of blood and death. A small band of survivors try to fight back, but the odds don't look good. Benny and his friends must remain constantly vigilant that everything in the Rot and Ruin willy try to kill them in order to survive.

Flesh and Bone is the third in the series and it's going very strong. Benny and his friends are in emotional shambles at this point because of Tom's death. Benny is acting recklessly to prove to a disembodied Tom in his head that he can be the samurai he was taught to be. Nix is distant and lost in her own thoughts much of the time, making her relationship with Benny strained even further. Nix's journal is interspersed in between the chapters, giving insight to her emotions and thoughts that she keeps from the others. Her journey to find the airplane means more to her than the others know. Lilah and Chong are both suffering from the loss, but maintain more of who they were before. Through most of the novel, these characters are separated and each go through their own struggles. I enjoyed seeing the story from each character's point of view and I especially liked the insight into Lilah who has a weakness for classic romantic literature underneath her steely exterior.

A new Big Bad is introduced in this novel: the Night Church. They are a fanatical death cult that see survivors as an affront to God's will because the zombies were created to destroy the human race. The cult feels it's their duty to "open red doors" in people and release them into the bliss of death. These people are incredibly frightening because of their stalwart faith that what they are doing is right. Saint John of the Knife is the most zealous and frightening of the bunch, thinking of bigger and more effective ways to accomplish their goal. The leader of the cult is Mother Rose, who doesn't believe in the dogma at all and uses the cult to gain power and eliminate the opposition. These two main villains are incredibly dangerous in their own way and are the best of the series so far. Their dynamic together is interesting and you wonder who is really fooling who in the situation and when they will find out the truth about each other.

Flesh and Bone has character development, super creepy villains, and, of course, zombies. Interesting things happen with these zombies that I never saw coming. The zombies still have a huge presence in the novel and become even more frightening than before. Paired with the human villains, the odds against our heroes are astronomically high. I can't wait to read the final book in the series, Fire and Ash. ( )
  titania86 | Sep 10, 2013 |
So good! Flesh and Bone picks up soon after Dust & Decay, and everyone is still reeling from their losses.

Grief is a huge theme in this one, as the characters struggle to come to terms with the deaths of people they loved while still fighting to survive. This time around, in addition to zombies, they group is running from Reapers, a blood-thirsty religious cult bent on eradicating the stain of the human race.

Flesh and Bone is all action, the story happening in the space of a day, I believe, and it is incredibly intense and violent. You *will* want to finish it in one sitting, and you will definitely chafe at the having to wait for the final book in this wonderful series!

Highly recommended! ( )
  kayceel | Jun 26, 2013 |

Benny, Nix, Lou, and Lilah journey through a fierce wilderness that was once America searching for the jet they saw months ago, while evading fierce animals and a new kind of zombie.

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible