Forbidden Mind by Kimberly Kinrade
    Forbidden Fire by Kimberly Kinrade (ConciseReviews)
    ConciseReviews: 2nd book in the Forbidden Trilogy

Forbidden Mind is a unique story. There aren't many action scenes. However, this book doesn't need them.

Sam can't wait to leave Rent-A-Kid and study art in New York. Drake is determined to win the surfing competition to make his life easier. The man dressed in black changes things for both of them.

The characters are well written. Sam is your normal girl ready to live out her dreams. Well, not complete normal. She can read minds. I admire Sam for her bravery. In the same situation, I would have broken down. She's strong and has a need to help others. I appreciate how she doesn't believe everything she's told when things don't add up. Sam begins to question everything she's been told when she forms a mental link with an unconscious boy. Drake helps Sam see the truth in things. He can compel others, but tries not to use his powers unless needed. He forms a link with Sam and they begin to uncover the truth behind Rent-A-Kid. Drake is compassionate and cares about Sam. He isn't trying to use her in order to obtain his freedom. I also loved the best friends of these two. Luke and Lucy are witty and do what they can to help Sam. A girl couldn't ask for more supportive friends. Brad tells Drake what he needs to hear. There's no sugar coating with him. I love characters that are no-nonsense.

As I said before, there isn't a lot of action. We spend most of the story following Drake and Sam as they get to know each other sight unseen. There is a bit of a love story, and it really puts things, like looks, into perspective. Sam and Drake are forced to make choices. They have to decide if they can live with the consequences of those choices. There are a few emotional parts. My heart completely broke in a few places. You realize that some people just have an inherent goodness in them.

Forbidden Mind is fast paced and leaves you wanting more. I highly suggest this book for readers in their teens and up. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
I didn't finish this book. No criticism, just didn't have the head to read it right now.
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
Have you ever read a book and it ended before you were ready? Well, this is one of those books for me. This book ended on such a cliffhanger that I wanted to yell and scream at the author. I was not ready for the book to end. I got so mad. Yes, the second book in this series is out. However, it is not on my reading schedule until this weekend. No, sadly I cannot change anything around to read is faster.
I will not lie; I am not a big fan of YA books. Yet, this does not read like a YA book. Yes, there are teenagers in this book. Nevertheless, it is not all about teenagers. These teens are almost legal adults. I started this book and I did not put my Kindle down until it was finished. I cook supper while reading; everywhere I went in my house, I had the Kindle in my hand reading this book. I usually read before bed each night and in between work. Yet I could not stop reading. I had to know what was going to happen next. Okay I know more about the book and less about me.

Drake looks like an ordinary male teenager. He likes to surf. He has a set of those blue eyes that females just want to get lost in. That is not what makes him different. He is different because he can read minds and make people bend to his will. Well not his will, but make them think they need to do something and they do it without realizing what they are doing. Makes sense right. No? Well, it will when you read the book. I promise. The author has created something that will have readers blocking out everything except the next words in the book.

Sam is a cute feisty female. She likes to paint. Okay she does not just like to paint it is a passion for her. A release, painting is a way to brush away her troubles for a time. She is an amazing artist according to her teacher. She wants to attend this great creative art school in New York. Yet, the dean at her private school does not want her to attend. Sam is also special. She can dive into people’s minds and find out anything about them. Yes, including stuff that happened years in the past. Sam is one of the people at what she calls Rent-a-Kid.

Rent-A-Kid is a private school that has several teenagers that are special. They all have different types of paranormal powers. Some read minds, some have ultimate physical strength, and others are like human lie detectors. All of them are special, yet none of them may leave the school unless on assignment. They have no family except each other. They’ve been told that they were either not wanted by their parents or that they were left there, for their own protection by their parents. They believe that when they finish they get to leave and have a chance at a real life.

The author has written this series with a passion. Granted I have only read the first book. However, I do not think my opinion will change after reading the other books in the series. Kimberly takes readers on a journey with some paranormal, a little romance and a lot of mystery. Readers might even question if something like this is possible. Yes, it could be possible.

While I have not read the other 2 famous YA books available. You know the ones I am talking about. I admit that I cannot wait to finish this series. Kimberly has created a series that will take you on a journey. A journey that will take readers across America, guessing what will happen next. Pick out your favorite character and follow them along on this great reading journey. Just be prepared for some
cliffhangers that make you yell and scream at the author. I know I did.

Wow Kimberly thanks for such a great read.

The bunnies and I give this book 4 carrots.
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Forbidden Mind BLEW my mind! I read the first edition and the newer updated edition as well as the sequel, Forbidden Fire, all in one day and i'm shaking like crazy. The 1st in the series had me going through so many emotions I swear I was mindjacked! Sam, Drake, Lucy, Luke and all the others do not feel like mere characters but real people (with their x-men powers and all) who you truly care about. I actually cried while reading this and was screaming "NOOOOO!!!" in slow motion. More than once. No lie. If there was ever a series that made you feel like you were watching an action movie, this right here is it.

Kimberly Kinrade is like my superhero right now. This fantastic story she created feels so real and the references she makes about certain movies or t.v shows that we know and watch only enhances that feeling...making it so that the lines between fiction and reality are blurred. Which is saying a lot considering that the plot is very ALIAS and DARK ANGEL-like with X-MEN as its backdrop (awesome combo!).

There is so much I wanna say right now but I think I might be getting mixed up from what I just read in the sequel (which is AMAZING) so i'm off to post a review on it now...I guess that wasn't much of a "closure" or conclusion so I will make myself clear if I wasn't before: THIS BOOK IS AMAZING SO YOU SHOULD READ IT AND I DONT NEED TO TELL YOU TO READ THE SEQUEL BECAUSE YOUR MIND WILL BE SO BLOWN THAT YOU WILL READ IT LIKE A JUNKIE SUFFERING FROM WITHDRAWL. Did I explain myself well enough? I feel like i'm doing a verizon commercial with "can you hear me now?" *sigh* now let me try and piece my mind back together to go review Forbidden Fire...we'll see how that goes... ( )
  CLovestoread | Jan 11, 2014 |

CLovestoread | Apr 27, 2013 |

Kimberly Kinrade is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible