All the Secret Things by Mrs Sheila Cragg

All the Secret Things

by Mrs Sheila Cragg

All the Secret Things is a really good read. The story of a young girl's progression through life; a life where there is little in the way of family support. Emily's relationships with her family shape her future, which is played out in the later chapters of the book. In order to see the progression of Emily's life, just look to the family that raises her. It's a wonderful book, a hard story to read, but well worth it. Well done! ( )
  kristincedar | Jun 18, 2012 |
As stated above this ebook was a contest win from Librarything.com. All the Secret Things is such an amazing book I hope that I can write a review that shows everyone needs to read this wonderful book.

This book starts out with a family of four. James, Veronica, Emily and Lucy Walcott with the time being during World War II. Veronica is a singer at clubs where there are lots of soldiers. James works two sometimes three jobs to keep the bills paid and food on the table for his girls.

Veronica is an alcoholic. It shows through out the book but it is strange no one ever offered to get her help. I have wondered why the author never had someone talk to Veronica about attending an AA (Alcoholic Anonymous) meeting. Or why when the girls were older in there teens why they were not offered help through Al-teen meetings? What this book does show is the hurt, pain, confusing, anger, and destruction that alcoholism causes to a family. One of the reason why this book received the rating I gave it. Sorry the rating is below I will not post it this early in the review.

James is one of those fathers that would do anything to protect his girls. He goes to such amazing lengths to actually do this. Since he works so much he does not actually see or know everything that is happening but what he does learn shocks him.

Emily is a young 8 year old when this book starts out. She is a confused child and does not understand the mood swings that Veronica goes through with the alcohol. She tries to nurture and mother her younger sister Lucy but has no one who will nurture and mother her. Emily grows up, learns, and actually grows in life through out this book. She learns everything that she should not do as a mother to a child but how does she learn everything that she should do for a child when she is a mother?

Lucy is a young child of 3 or 4 at the start of the book. She does not understand anything except that Emily is more of a mother to her than a sister. If it was not for Emily Lucy would of been with out food, clean clothes and any fun that a child should have.

Emily is the main character in this book. She grows through all the heartache, pain and abuse from her mother, Rosellen, Doug and a boyfriend. Nevertheless she overcame it all to become a wonderful person. Emily became a young single mother while in college. She became a wonderful single mother who loved her child very much and did not allow him to suffer as a child like she did. She provided everything for him. To me it seems a little to unreal that there were no problems, arguments or anything wrong with the mother-child relationship.

The title to this book is hard to comprehend until the reader get to around half the book. Then almost everything becomes very clear. There are so many secrets in the family that I wondered how they kept them all straight. Emily learned early on that there were secrets in the family but did not learn about the secrets until she was in need of a blood transfusion.

This is a wonderful amazing read. I enjoyed how the author had a chapter and verse from the bible at the beginning of most chapters in the book. The author had a great verse picked out to go along with the chapters in the book. While I would not recommend this book to a young teenager, I would recommend this book to anyone over sixteen.

The bunnies and I give this book 4-Carrots.

Thanks for a great read Ms. Sheila Cragg. ( )
  kybunnies | Feb 18, 2012 |
Wonderful book. It sucked me right in. ( )
  BlakeBarry | Jan 6, 2012 |
Reading this book made me so frustrated that none of the adults in the main character Emily's life did anything to protect her. Instead, many turned a blind eye to the abuse that she experienced from her stepbrother, or neglected her. The book takes us through Emily's life and shows that she is able to overcome what has happened in her childhood through the help and support of friends.

I found it strange that Emily's sister, Lucy, fell out of the book, when she was such a main character at the beginning. Though the characters were completely unrelatable to me, I did overall enjoy the book. ( )
  aeisen | Dec 28, 2011 |
All The Secret Things
By Shiela Cragg

As the title suggests, there are many secrets in this story. Eight-year-old Emily Walcott goes through life dealing with what these secrets do to the whole family. Her alcoholic mother leaves the family, leaving her father to raise her and her younger sister. He soon marries, and though the step- mother does her best to bring a semblance of stability, her son creates an unsafe and scary environment for his step-sisters. Though Emily tells how he torments her and her sister, the step-mother is in denial. Emily searches for love, and sometimes turns to the wrong person to find it. This book documents the life from childhood to adulthood, and even then, she still discovers the biggest secret of all. The way Emily deals with it is astounding.
Kudos to the author on this debut novel. All the secret things is an entertaining and insightful read.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author in exchange for a honest and unbiased review. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.
J.M. Powers~Author ( )
  JMPowers | Dec 12, 2011 |

Set in Santa Barbara, California during World War II, Emily Eleanor Walcott’s story opens when she is eight. As a young girl, she realizes her mother Veronica keeps secrets and lies to hide them. As Emily’s story unfolds, her mother slips into alcoholic depression, neglects her daughters, mysteriously disappears and returns without explanation. Her parents divorce and marry others. Her stepmother moves in with her cruel son, who bullies Emily and her younger sister.
All The Secret Things reveals Emily’s pain growing up between two sets of parents, of not feeling safe with either family, and wondering about the secrets that divide and nearly destroy them all.
Emily’s story is also heartwarming as she demonstrates her resilience and courage. Through the support of caring friends and teachers who believe in her, she succeeds in school and graduates from college as a single mother.
As a young woman she develops severe anemia and needs a blood transfusion, but due to her rare type a matching donor among family members must be found, and the secrets surrounding her birth must be told. The ‘secret keepers’ in her family hinder her attempts to uncover the truth. They love her so enormously they want to protect her from discovering her real identity that could break her heart.
All the Secret Things reveals the complexities of family secrets and lies, and even murder. It explores sibling cruelty and the painful differences that can separate daughters from mothers. As Emily and various family members tell her story, her healing journey begins. Through it all she discovers the gracious gifts of forgiveness and redemption. She develops deep and lasting friendships, discovers the power of faith and hope, and recognizes that family bonds are not always formed by birth or blood-but by love.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mrs Sheila Cragg's book All The Secret Things was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible