The Power of Habit: why we do what we do in…

The Power of Habit: why we do what we do in life and business (2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Recently added byabbeyhar, _Zoe_, rebmwade, cataloga, private library, kimlacey, Renn_22, HileGroup
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)

English (101)  Spanish (1)  All languages (102)
Fascinating, and very readable. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Some interesting information. ( )
  DeanClark | May 6, 2014 |
This was interesting, but I pretty much got everything I wanted out of part 1. Parts 2 and 3 focus on "organizations" and "societies" but that stuff was pretty well represented in the examples in part 1. So it goes back to the library without me bothering to read beyond that.
  WeaselBox | Mar 24, 2014 |
An interesting exploration on why we do what we do even when we don't want to. It's readable and well-researched.
  Vantine | Mar 14, 2014 |
į»¯¤¯¬ ôÉôàôÉ ôö ôÉôɯ»¯_ ôôä ô ô¯_ ¯¤ôãôöô⯻ ôö ¯øôà ô ¯¤¯ø¯±..ôà¯øôôä ôÉô ôà ¯¤ô ​_¯¤¯¼¯© ôɯ¤ ¯»¯¨ôãô_ô ôä ¯¤¯»¯¨ô㯵 ôÉô  ¯_¯¤¯ø¯¤¯»ôä ¯¤ôã¯_ô_¯_¯© ¯¤ôãôãôä ¯¬ôį±ôàô௤ ôö ¯¬ôį±ôà ô ô¯​_ôä ôãôɯ¤ ¯¬¯_ôÉôãô௤ ôö ôôä ô ô¯_ ¯¤ôãôöô⯻ ¯¤ôį»¯_¯¤¯¬ ¯_¯¤¯ø¯© ¯Â¯øô_¯ø¯© ôÄôöô_¯_¯© ¯¬¯_¯¤ôöôã ¯¤ô㯻¯_ôÉ ôô_ô௤

ôã¯_ôã ¯¤¯ÂôÉôã ôɯ¤ ôôä ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ôàôö ¯Â¯​_¯Á ¯»ôö¯¦ô_¯_ ¯¤ôã¯Â¯_¯Á ¯¤ôã¯_ô_ôÄôö-¯_¯µ¯¬ôä ôôä ¯»ôÄôöô_ô  ¯¤ôã¯_¯¤¯ø¯¤¯» ôö ¯øôö¯± ¯¤ôã
basal ganglion
ôôä ¯¤ôãôÉôö¯¦ôö¯_ ôÄôãôà ôö ¯øôö¯±ô௤ ¯¤ô㯤ô​_¯Â¯¤¯¬ôä ôôä ¯»¯_ôàô_ôã ¯¤ôã¯_¯¤¯Â¯© ôö ¯¤ôã¯_ô㯬ôä ôôä ¯_¯øôÉ ¯»¯±ôÄô_¯_ôÄ ôôä ôÄôã ¯«¯_

¯¤¯»¯_ôãôɯ» ôÉô  ¯¤ôãôį»¯¤¯¬ ¯øôà ¯øôö¯± ¯¤ôã¯​_¯¤¯ø¯¤¯» ôôä ¯¤ôã¯_ô_¯¤¯© ôö ôôä ¯¤ô㯫¯¼ôã ôö ¯​_¯»ôä ¯¤ô㯤¯_ô㯤ô ¯¤¯»

¯¤ôãô㯼¯© ¯¬¯_ô_¯á¯© ôö ¯_ôÉôöôɯ¤ ôį»¯¤¯¬ ôÉôô_¯ø

ôö ô௤¯_¯¤ôöôã ¯¤¯á¯¬ô⠯¯_¯Á ôÉô  ¯¤ôãôãôä ¯¤¯»¯_ôãôɯ»ôà ôôä ¯_¯¤¯Â¯© ôɯ_ô_ô ¯© ôôä ¯øôɯ¤¯¼ôä ôö ¯¤¯«ôöô ô௤ôâ¯ø¯± ¯¤¯á¯¬​
  dinanabil | Feb 28, 2014 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible