The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in…

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Member:michlib
Title:The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (2012)

Recently added bymsr13029, tree1383, Netpilgrim, jkrzok, private library, GGH
    Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by John Hargrave (nefitty)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)

English (149)  Spanish (2)  All (151)
I loved this book, because it answers the question why do we repeatedly do things that we haven't consciously decided to do. Performing actions that I haven't decided to do but still do, is unsettling for me. Earlier in my life, I would deny that such thing exists. Today, I'd rather learn something about it. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |
One excellent chapter/story (the turnaround of Aloa) buried in others of varying quality. Overall, a collection of vignettes and ideas, looking for a theme that really ties it together. 'Habit' doesn't. ( )
  Parthurbook | Jun 9, 2017 |
Interesting. Duhigg addresses habits of individuals, organizations and societies. I thought the part about individuals was packaged quite well. The organizational habits section was an eye opener and most definitely not for conspiracy theorists. What Target (the store chain) does to track people is disturbing (I wonder what my Guest ID is in their monster database), but all the more interesting to me because whatever they think they are doing fails with me - I never think of Target as a place to shop. Oh, I do shop there, but I see them as more expensive than their competitors. Anyway, the bar dropped significantly in the last section on societies. I thought he was reaching a bit with his stories.

A few good references to studies and a LOT of anecdotes. If you don't have time to read the whole book, go for the first couple of chapters and the appendix (a method for changing personal habits) - the rest is fluff; not bad, but still fluff. (Note: each chapter covers at least two story lines, and Duhigg breaks them up as one would a television drama that uses flashback. I thought the connections for a few of them were a little tenuous, but the flow might take some a bit aback.) ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This scratches the same itch for me that Daniel Pink and Malcom Gladwell do. This is a 'self-help' business book which audits the idea of habit and habit formation to see what it has to teach us. People create good and bad habits for a variety of reasons (there is some pay-off for the activity that becomes routinized). Businesses and marketeers know how to exploit our habits to sell us stuff. We can also use our knowledge of why we do certain things to help retrain ourselves towards better (more productive and live giving) habits.

This was a surprisingly good read for Lent. It isn't particularly religious in orientation (though Duhigg does share how MLK and Rick Warren both got people to alter their habits to affect social change). What I found valuable was Duhigg's advice on practicing yourself into a way of life. I think this is an important consideration in spiritual formation. We have the gospel but sometimes we need a lifestyle of walking in it before we know it is true in our bones. This is an example of the 'way is made by walking.' ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I heard the author interviewed and decided to read the book. I hoped that having a better understanding of triggers and goals would help me reestablish a workout routine. I got the theory and know what I need to do, now I just have to put it in practice. I lost interest after finishing the first part of the book, which deals with individuals. The latter part of gets into how businesses use habit. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Charles Duhigg's book The Power of Habit was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible