The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in…

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Title:The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Power of Habit: why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg (2012)

Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by Sir John Hargrave (nefitty)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)

English (140)  Spanish (2)  All languages (142)
This American Life 06.09.12
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
"When a habit emerges, the brain stops fully participating in decision making. It stops working so hard, or diverts focus to other tasks. So unless you deliberately fight a habit, unless you find new routines the pattern will unfold automatically."

While reading this book, I was socked realizing how many times I acted just by habit. Times when I didn’t think at all, just did what habit part of my brain told me to.

"This process within our brains is a three-step loop. First, there is a cue, a trigger that tells your brain to go into automatic mode and which habit to use. Then there is the routine, which can be physical or mental or emotional. Finally, there is a reward, which helps your brain figure out if this particular loop is worth remembering for the future: THE HABIT LOOP"

This book talks about habits and the psychology behind them.It’s well written and well researched; however I didn’t exactly liked full detailed case studies. It’s like the author thinks you don’t really understood what he said in early chapters and wants to explain it again and again in different case studies. ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 8, 2016 |
How do we create - or break - a habit? In The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg uses current research about habit forming and many interviews to illuminate just what is going on in our brains, taking us through the habits of individuals, organizations, and society.

This was a really fascinating, meaty account that read smoothly and kept me entertained and intrigued throughout. In the first chapter, Duhigg introduces the habit loop: there is a cue, a routine, and a reward that becomes ingrained in our brain, forming a habit until we follow the loop without thinking. To change the habit, you change the routine. As subsequent chapters show, of course, there are many other elements that complicate those habits, but in a nutshell if you can identify the three items of that loop and change the routine - say, when you want to grab a cookie from the cafeteria, spend a few minutes talking with a co-worker instead. And that's really just scratching the surface. Duhigg blends recent scientific studies with illustrative case studies such as Starbucks and Saddleback Church to explain how we create habits in our lives, work, and socially as a community. Highly recommended. ( )
  bell7 | Aug 21, 2016 |
Readable entry in the “self-help via popular writing about behavioral psych studies” category. Advice on how to break some bad habits (generally, by creating different habits around them) and stories of success—and failure—of same in personal and professional realms. ( )
  rivkat | May 25, 2016 |
First couple chapters are 3- or 4-star worthy. ( )
  stonecrops | May 18, 2016 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible