The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in…

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Member:michlib
Title:The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Power of Habit: why we do what we do in life and business by Charles Duhigg (2012)

Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)

English (117)  Spanish (2)  All languages (119)
I have kind of mixed feelings about this book. It talks about a lot of things that are, in themselves, pretty interesting, from how marketers convinced people to use toothpaste and Fabreze, to how a lack of inter-departmental communication was responsible for a deadly fire in a London Underground station, to why Rosa Parks' unwillingness to give up her seat proved so pivotal to the civil rights movement when others before her had done the same thing with no results.

But I'm not sure all of these anecdotes really add up to anything coherent. Duhigg's concept of what constitutes a "habit" -- basically, a prompt leading to an action leading to some expected reward or benefit -- is so broad as to encompass practically all of human behavior, and, rather than a close examination of the concept of habits, the book feels more like a loose collection of stories drawn semi-randomly from the fields of psychology, business and sociology. Which is interesting enough, but not really very satisfying. ( )
1 vote bragan | Jul 30, 2015 |
Great story teller. Makes clear concepts and motivations. I'll recommend this book to people. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Research focus on studies of individuals and the habit formation model seems of most value in this book whereas the sections focusing on organizations (e.g. Procter & Gamble, teams of Toby Dungy) not well supported nor particularly helpful given all variables not available to objective analysis. ( )
  Craig_Pratt | Jun 17, 2015 |
Duhigg's exploration of human habits was incredibly interesting. I was a very big fan of the book was broken up into separate sections as he took us down the path of why and how habit occur, and what you can do to change those that may be harming you. I'd find it hard to believe that there isn't one example in the book that each person reading it couldn't tie back to their own personal lives. The last section with regards to corporate business, big data, and habit trends was the most interesting for me. ( )
  ChiefBrody | Jun 2, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book and kept finding things I could use with my students, from goal setting skills to good points of discussion for the civil right movement. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

1645 wanted4 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible