The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in…

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charles Duhigg

Member:michlib
Title:The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Authors:Charles Duhigg
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (2012)

Mind Hacking: How to Change Your Mind for Good in 21 Days by Sir John Hargrave (nefitty)
    No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process by Colin Beavan (mene)
    mene: In "The Power of Habit", it is described why people do things a certain way. The reason people buy so many things is also explained. "No Impact Man" is a good example of someone changing their habits (in a very extreme way). The author of "No Impact Man" also talks about why people buy so many things, among other things.… (more)
    Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping by Paco Underhill (trav)
    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath (Asumi)
    How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer (Anonymous user)

English (143)  Spanish (2)  All (145)
interesting read. ( )
  kate_r_s | Feb 12, 2017 |
Based on how the book is organized, it might appear that this book is more suited for a business environment. Don't be fooled. All three sections provide relevant lessons even if you're just looking at habits from an individual level. This is not a business book - it's a book for anyone who wants to change their habits.

Note that I said change habits, not create new ones. The author's premise is that it's easier to change an existing habit than to try and create a new one. Duhrigg breaks down habits into their components and provides ideas for changing the components to improve habits.

It's a deceptively simple method that leaves you shaking your head, wondering why you hadn't figured out the formula earlier. But he breaks down the ways to improve your habits into small bites, improving your confidence that you can succeed. ( )
  MSBlog_Mom | Jan 9, 2017 |
I can't comment on the scientific accuracy or the strength of the conclusions, but I can say that I found the book engaging, entertaining, and thought provoking. It lines up with my belief that we are much less the product of thoughtful and deliberate choices than we like to think we are or than we like to think others are. In reality, we are creatures of reaction and habit.

But this book also reminds me that we have some say in what we do. Not through force will power, but by setting ourselves up for the right reactions or habits to kick in at the right moment. In other words, it's not about how skillfully you set off the mousetrap, but how well you build it before the time comes.

This isn't just a book about how to change your habits - in fact I would say it's mostly not about that at all. It's about how the human brain works. About the difference among learned behavior, habits, and cravings. It's about how retail stores and casinos learn way too much about you and actually manipulate your behavior (and you were worried about Facebook). There's also a really interesting section on the Montgomery bus boycott and how that became a movement instead of just a couple of protests (relevant, eh?).

Anyway, if you want a how-to self-help book, you might be disappointed. If you like learning about how brains work, dig in! ( )
  typo180 | Jan 2, 2017 |
This was a quick read and an interesting book. It had me thinking about what habits I could change, and how I could leverage the ideas with my work. It is interesting how many things we do each day without thinking about them and this book makes you conscious of them. I liked it! ( )
  RobertPop | Nov 23, 2016 |
This American Life 06.09.12
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
To Oliver, John Harry, John and Doris, and, everlastingly, to Liz.
She was the scientists' favorite participant.

A young woman walks into a laboratory.  Over the past two years, she has transformed almost every aspect of her life.  She has quit smoking, run a marathon, and been promoted at work.  The patterns inside her brain, neurologists discover, have fundamentally changed.

Marketeers at Proctor & Gamble study videos of people making their beds.  The are desperately trying to figure out how to sell a new product called Febreze, which is on track to be one of the biggest flops in company history,  Suddenly, one of them detects a nearly imperceptible pattern -- and with a slight shift in advertising, Febreze goes on to earn a billion dollars a year.

An untested CEO takes over one of the largest companies in America.  His first order of business is attacking a single pattern among his employees -- how they approach worker safety -- and soon the firm, Alcoa, becomes the top performer in the Dow Jones.

What do all these people have in common?   They achieved success by focussing on the patterns that shape every aspect of our lives.

They succeeded in transforming habits.

In The Power of Habit, award-winning New York Times business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changes.   With penetrating intelligence and an ability to distill vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives, Duhigg brings to life a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential for transformation.

Along the way we learn why some people and companies struggle to change, despite years of trying, while others seem to remake themselves overnight.  We visit laboratories where neuroscientists explore how habits work and where, exactly, they reside in our brains.  We discover how the right habits were crucial to the success of Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, and civil-rights hero Martin Luther King, Jr.   We go inside Proctor & Gamble, Target superstores, Rick Warren's Saddleback Church, NFL locker rooms, and the nation's largest hospitals to see how implementing so-called keystone habits can earn billions and mean the difference between failure and success, life and death.

At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, raising exceptional children, becoming more productive, building revolutionary companies and social movements, and achieving success is understanding how habits work.

Habits aren't destiny.  As Charles Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our business, our communities, and our lives.  [from the jacket]

Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,451,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible