While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

While I'm Still Myself (edition 2012)

by Jeremy Mark Lane

Member:jsveter
Title:While I'm Still Myself
Authors:Jeremy Mark Lane
Info:Tate Publishing (2012), Perfect Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:**

While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

Thank you to Jeremy Mark Lane for sending me his collection of short stories "While I'm Still Myself". Short stories are not usually a genre I read but I am so glad I entered to win this book from LibraryThing. Each story in the collection is superbly written and involves a brief encounter between people that makes an impact in some way in their lives. Racism, child abuse and mental illness are addressed in ways that touch your heart and soul. One of my favorite stories involves a girl who runs away determined to live life to the fullest; afraid that at any time she will develop the same mental illness that her mother has. I was not prepared for the ending; I think I literarily gasped. Another favorite, Pebblestone Five, left me with tears in my eyes. I will definitely be looking to read more of Mr. Lane's work. ( )
  kremsa | May 15, 2015 |
This collection of short stories were diverse, well written, and had great imagery.
While most of the stories were very sad, they were also very real. I felt a connection with most, if not all, of the main characters and I find that that is a rare thing.
None of the stories are connected by character or plot, but all had a common theme of loss and hope, not always in that order. All of these stories are memorable, and I think they will affect each reader differently.
I won this as an audiobook and the author/narrator was well spoken and easy to understand, which definitely helped my experience. ( )
  MooqieLove | Mar 8, 2014 |
I won this collection of short stories in a giveaway, not here on LT. I really enjoyed it! These tales have a kind of common thread through them with with a very nice tone. The characters are very relatable and the writing spare and lovely.
I particularly liked the store of the young woman trying to escape her mother's fate, only to find it is too late. It resonated with me as I have a family member with mental issues and I fear without help she will lose herself.
All of these stories are good and this is a writer to watch. Recommended. ( )
  jldarden | Jun 24, 2013 |
I am not usually a fan of audio books, I prefer to hold the book. However the short story isn't so bad by audio. That being said, I found the stories were interesting, insightful and elightning. Making the reader ask themself the question, "what would you have done or not done. Well written and worth checking out.
flag ( )
  iampeachy | Oct 17, 2012 |
This is a book of short stories each with it's own message. The first story "That Winter" is such a bittersweet story and hard to forget. You can't stop these stories and I recommend reading them. I won mine from LibraryThing. ( )
  Draak | Jun 29, 2012 |

Jeremy Mark Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,944,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible