While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

While I'm Still Myself (edition 2012)

by Jeremy Mark Lane

2010515,329 (3.96)2
Member:jsveter
Title:While I'm Still Myself
Authors:Jeremy Mark Lane
Info:Tate Publishing (2012), Perfect Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:**

While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

This collection of short stories were diverse, well written, and had great imagery.
While most of the stories were very sad, they were also very real. I felt a connection with most, if not all, of the main characters and I find that that is a rare thing.
None of the stories are connected by character or plot, but all had a common theme of loss and hope, not always in that order. All of these stories are memorable, and I think they will affect each reader differently.
I won this as an audiobook and the author/narrator was well spoken and easy to understand, which definitely helped my experience. ( )
  MooqieLove | Mar 8, 2014 |
I won this collection of short stories in a giveaway, not here on LT. I really enjoyed it! These tales have a kind of common thread through them with with a very nice tone. The characters are very relatable and the writing spare and lovely.
I particularly liked the store of the young woman trying to escape her mother's fate, only to find it is too late. It resonated with me as I have a family member with mental issues and I fear without help she will lose herself.
All of these stories are good and this is a writer to watch. Recommended. ( )
  jldarden | Jun 24, 2013 |
I am not usually a fan of audio books, I prefer to hold the book. However the short story isn't so bad by audio. That being said, I found the stories were interesting, insightful and elightning. Making the reader ask themself the question, "what would you have done or not done. Well written and worth checking out.
flag ( )
  iampeachy | Oct 17, 2012 |
This is a book of short stories each with it's own message. The first story "That Winter" is such a bittersweet story and hard to forget. You can't stop these stories and I recommend reading them. I won mine from LibraryThing. ( )
  Draak | Jun 29, 2012 |
While I'm Still Myself is a good, quick read that has some lovely prose in it. I like how each short story focuses on a character meeting someone who changes their life in some way. It's a good topic to explore in the format of a short story and knowing that the story of these people won't last forever emphasizes the profound impact of this particular encounter. This collection deals with pretty much everything that is sweet and hard in life. Most of the stories deal with very sad things, but there are some hopeful notes.

Each story is linked through the theme of characters wanting to do something "while they're still themselves." For the first few stories, I thought this sentiment worked perfectly and the common theme made each of them have a greater impact. However, for many of the later stories, this theme seemed forced and didn't really fit into what was going on. I didn't understand why the characters felt they wouldn't be themselves later.

The character development is also not as thorough as I'd like it to be, even for short stories. However, for the most part, I enjoyed this collection. I liked the beginning stories much more than the ending ones, but like I said, that's only because the theme is successfully executed.

Short story lovers should take a look at While I'm Still Myself. I'm sure they will find at least a few stories that will resonate with them.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  sedelia | May 25, 2012 |

Jeremy Mark Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,288,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible