While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

While I'm Still Myself (edition 2012)

by Jeremy Mark Lane

Member:jsveter
Title:While I'm Still Myself
Authors:Jeremy Mark Lane
Info:Tate Publishing (2012), Perfect Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:**

While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane

I received an e-copy of "While I'm Still Myself", compliments of author Jeremy Mark Lane via LibraryThing Member Giveaway program and appreciated the opportunity.

I will begin by stating that this compilation has re-kindled my desire to embrace short stories. The author's ability to capture brief "moments in time"have a profound impact... These connections are both subtle and everlasting, leaving a lingering emotional effect. While each story was stand-alone and unique, the title theme cropped up and earned it's rightful place. The range in themes varied from love and love lost, racism and abuse, mental illness and death, birth and chance. The author holds great skill in setting a descriptive scene, evoking deep thoughts and sharing memorable, condensed prose.

I extend my 4/5 rating with the recommendation for all who love short stories and those who need a nudge in remembering the satisfaction of concentrated tales. I look forward to the future writings of Jeremy Mark Lane. ( )
  WLR11 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I enjoy reading short stories from time to time, so I was happy to have won this book through LibraryThing's Members Giveaway Program. There are seven stories in this book that all tie-in together by the theme and book title, While I'm Still Myself. This phrase is uttered by a character in each one of these stories. Overall, I enjoyed most of the stories. My three favorites were: "The Reflection, Only Hers", "Shape" and "The Guest." I liked the writing style and the meaning inside each of the stories. ( )
  PrettyTarantula | Oct 9, 2015 |
I'm not a short story fan, but this book held my attention. In each story one of the characters is trying to tackle something "while I'm still myself." The ways in which these characters try to achieve this goal is wide and varied, just like the stories.

A good easy read. ( )
  beachmama43 | Jul 8, 2015 |
Thank you to Jeremy Mark Lane for sending me his collection of short stories "While I'm Still Myself". Short stories are not usually a genre I read but I am so glad I entered to win this book from LibraryThing. Each story in the collection is superbly written and involves a brief encounter between people that makes an impact in some way in their lives. Racism, child abuse and mental illness are addressed in ways that touch your heart and soul. One of my favorite stories involves a girl who runs away determined to live life to the fullest; afraid that at any time she will develop the same mental illness that her mother has. I was not prepared for the ending; I think I literarily gasped. Another favorite, Pebblestone Five, left me with tears in my eyes. I will definitely be looking to read more of Mr. Lane's work. ( )
  kremsa | May 15, 2015 |
This collection of short stories were diverse, well written, and had great imagery.
While most of the stories were very sad, they were also very real. I felt a connection with most, if not all, of the main characters and I find that that is a rare thing.
None of the stories are connected by character or plot, but all had a common theme of loss and hope, not always in that order. All of these stories are memorable, and I think they will affect each reader differently.
I won this as an audiobook and the author/narrator was well spoken and easy to understand, which definitely helped my experience. ( )
  MooqieLove | Mar 8, 2014 |

Jeremy Mark Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,525,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible