The Last King's Amulet by Chris Northern

The Last King's Amulet

by Chris Northern

Themes: privilege, duty, war, politics, magic, zombies!

Strictly speaking, a fantasy. There's magic involved and zombies too. But it's more military fantasy, if that's a phrase, than anything else. Sumto is a wealthy aristocrat who has one career path - military service, the politics. He might be able to work around the politics, but the military service is a must. Trouble is, he's also a drunken hedonist who would like nothing better than to continue his chosen path of drinking, sleeping late, reading a book or two, and then drinking again. But his time is up - he's got to go to war.

This book, the first of three, is about how Sumto changes from a barfly to a military strategist. It's a great story too, with strong secondary characters and well developed setting. In fact, while wanted to see what happened to Sumto, it was the assassin/spy Sapphire that haunted my thoughts for days afterward.

I got this one as a free download from Amazon and downloaded the next one as soon as I finished the first. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really loved it. 5 stars. ( )
  cmbohn | Apr 21, 2012 |

My name is Sumto, and everyone thinks I am a gambling, lazy, good-for-nothing drunk. Frankly, I think they have a point. Right now I may have to join the army and fight in a war I am frankly too corpulent to cope with. Still, it looks like being a small, short war. So that's got to be as bad as things get. Am I right? Trained in his youth for war and politics, Sumto is interested in neither. As the son of a Patron, he should gather clients, acquire wealth, learn magic, husband a political power base and take his place amongst the Assembly of Patrons, the rulers of the city. Sumto would rather gather friends, acquire books, learn history, husband a hangover and take his place at the gambling tables. That is not going to be an option for much longer. Unknown to Sumto, everything is about to change. There is a war in the north and Sumto is about to become a very unwilling participant.… (more)

Chris Northern is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible