The Awakening (Good Vs Evil) by Donald Lemke

The Awakening (Good Vs Evil)

by Donald Lemke

Series: Good vs Evil

521,436,638 (4)None
Recently added bycctesttc1, DMBGC, everead, SDPogue, ElizaJane
ARC (1) capstone (1) cybils (1) easy reader (1) fantasy (1) fiction (1) free (1) GR M (1) graphic novel (3) GRL:M (1) horror (1) Japan (1) manga (1) paranormal (1) read in 2011 (1) RL1.5 (1)

Reason for Reading: Ds read this to me as his reader.

Don't let the low reading level on this fool you into thinking it is for young children. This book, and I'm assuming series, is a high-interest/low reading level for older kids. I'd recommend this for the reluctant Gr. 5 reader and older. Here we have a typical manga style graphic novel written in a unique format. The pages are divided in half. One half of the page is coloured in blue shades and tells the tale from the Good character's point of view, while the other half of the page is coloured in red shades and tells the same story from the Evil character's point of view. There are three ways to read the book and my son insisted on reading through the book all three different ways. First cover up the bottom half of the pages and just read the Good version of the story. Then cover up the top half of the story and just read the Evil version of the story. Finally open the book and read Good & Evil together at the same time. Each read through opens up a little more knowledge of what was going on where when what happened somewhere else. It is a really cool way to read a graphic novel and my son thought this was totally awesome. I admit to finding it a creepy, little, cool, horror story, too, with a unique format. Stone Arch books are always "parent-friendly" but this one is a bit more intense, does show droplets of dark spots of blood, and may be frightening to those not used to watching Japanese or "Goth" cartoons. We have another of these to read and are looking forward to it. Ds has decided this one is a keeper for his shelf, a highly coveted honour, let me tell you. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 1, 2011 |
This was another Good vs Evil graphic novel from Capstone Publishing (under the name Stone Arch Books). I didn't like this one as well. There were some captivating moments and some interesting mix of the blue and the red in this one but the story didn't work for me.
Yoshiro Tanaka find a cassette tape (it's 1984 after all) and in playing it wakes a troll-like beast called the Oni. The story is far too frightening for young readers even though the simple language leads one to believe it is written for young readers. It is graphic and violent compared to everything else I have read published by Capstone.
There were moments where the panels seemed out of order and confusing. I learned in the section at the end that discussed the graphic novel process that this was somewhat intentional. I think of myself as rather intelligent and as an avid reader, pretty versed in the world of graphic novels and I was left scratching my head. I can't imagine what this would be like to read as a younger reader.
Aside from that, I enjoyed the premise. The world was well drawn and, as I said, I enjoyed the mix of the two worlds. For example, the Oni was paneled in red but there would be moments where the doorways would be blue indicating where Yoshiro was. Yoshiro's blood was blue in the red panels as well. At one point Yoshiro is grabbed by the Oni, Yoshiro was blue and the hand red. I really liked the artist imagary in this work. ( )
  SDPogue | Sep 22, 2011 |
The reverse side also has a reverse side. - Japanese Proverb

"On April 4, 1984, at 4:44 pm, Yoshiro Tanaka steps off a subway in downtown Tokyo, Japan. At exactly the same time, a terrible, blood-thirsty creature sleeps beneath the city streets. This story is the moment their worlds collide"--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,769,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible