Ex-Patriots: A Novel by Peter Clines

by Peter Clines

Series: Ex-heroes (2)

2072356,585 (3.92)11

Read from December 11 to 12, 2015

This series is just fun and Clines writes impressive action sequences. In this installment, we meet super-soldiers living on a base in Yuma. The chapters alternate between now and then, but this time "then" equals us meeting those in Yuma -- soldiers and a man named John Smith. This book also definitely sets up more paths Clines can take in future books. One thing I like about this series is its not just looking at "the end of the world", but the rebuilding. On to the next one!

(We are driving to LA today and I keep mentioning that we should stop by Paramount for a little book tourism.) ( )
  melissarochelle | Dec 16, 2015 |
I really liked this book, yet parts of it leave a lot to be desired.

Here be spoilers:

I read a lot of comics so the return of Legion wasn't exactly a surprise. The power that he has is very interesting, it's clever that the author made him stupid, if not he would be completely unstoppable. I hate that the story ends so damn abruptly. I get that there will be more books, but the story barely really advances all that much. That being said, I really do enjoy the stories, but like most good stories I really want more.

Also, how long is it before Smith and Legion team up? Next book, maybe? ( )
  Rob.Fulks | Jun 21, 2014 |
I agree. It is even better than Ex-Heroes (the first book in the series). It is suspenseful, and there is a twist (or maybe even two twists) that I did not expect.

It is a rather mature zombie book (i.e. there is more to the story than just zombies eating everyone) and, while some readers have complained about the swearing, I didn't find it excessive at all. There are a couple characters who swear, but they don't show up much.

The heroes just feel like regular people, who have the goal of trying their best to save the remaining people from zombies. We don't really bat an eye at their powers because the powers are seamlessly woven into the story. And the heroes are distinct and we are made to care about them as individuals, not just in how they can save the day.

I think Clines is becoming a better writer the more he writes. I look forward to the next book in the series because I can't wait to see what the heroes do next, and if they can, indeed, save what is left of the world. ( )
  crazybatcow | May 28, 2014 |
Superheroes plus zombies. Kind of a guilty pleasure sort of thing that I almost don't want to admit to having listened to.

Some of the explicit language is a little over the top, and the portrayal of women and minorities is a little lacking, but I suspect that I'm not actually the target audience for this author, and he's writing to please a certain kind of reader. Having said that, I did enjoy, and will listen to the final book in the trilogy whenever it is finally ready.... ( )
  srearley | Sep 21, 2013 |
It seems to be a never ending theme to have the military played as an overbearing organization that suppresses it citizens. Whether it is in the news or in popular movies, it is considered an evil entity. A mass of organized soldiers that move as one unit in order to protect it's citizens efficiently. Often there is a mix of emotions when the military complex is mentioned, either bringing anger or support. What would happen if the military tried to gain control of a small group of people with super human abilities. Mutants in there own right determined to protect humanity. What if both of these groups were reaching for the same goal, but were blinded by power? This story is a continuation of Peter Clines Ex-Heroes series. It is a series about a man named Josh who tragically creates the near death of humanity. This book is not about Josh though, but about his fellow ex-heroes that are determined to save humanity at all costs. It is about there chronic battle with the military or the Ex-Patriots. The story is a constant ride of one wild action after another. Can Josh's peers get him out of prison and can they fight the military complex? Are the hearts of the soldiers in the right place or are they being manipulated by a person in high power?

This book was excellent! It was a lot of fun to read and did not loose me at all. In fact I had a difficult time putting it down. I enjoyed the new characters in the book, but must admit I was disappointed about Josh's role in the story. He did not really show up in this book and I am hoping in the third installment he will make a comeback. I have to recommend this book hands down and really feel it is a new experience. I just do not see too many books that are quite like Peter Clines. Therefore I must say a big thank you to both Goodreads and the author for sending me this book. It was well worth it and I want the author to know that he has a real keeper here! Great job author and great job publisher! ( )
  Jennifer35k | Aug 30, 2013 |

Peter Clinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bartlett, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The night breeze swept the black cloak away from Stealth's body.

It’s been two years since the world ended. Two years since the dead rose and the plague of ex-humanity decimated mankind. For most of that time, the superhero called St. George, formerly known to the world as the Mighty Dragon, has protected the people of Los Angeles at their film studio-turned-fortress, The Mount. Together with his fellow heroes—Cerberus, Zzzap, and Stealth—he’s tried to give the survivors hope and something like a real life. But the swollen population of the Mount is becoming harder and harder to sustain, and the heroes are feeling the pressure.

Hope arrives in the form of a United States Army battalion, based in a complex a few hundred miles away in Arizona. This is not just any base, however. The men and women of Project Krypton are super-soldiers, designed and created before the outbreak to be better, stronger, and faster than normal humans. They want the heroes and all the people of the Mount to rejoin America and have normal lives again.

But can the military be trusted? And is there even a country left to rejoin? There is a secret at the heart of Project Krypton, and those behind it have an awesome power that will help them keep that secret hidden. The power of Freedom.

"It's been two years since the world ended... For most of that time, the superhero called St. George, formerly known to the world as the Mighty Dragon, has protected the people of Los Angeles at their film studio-turned-fortress, The Mount. But the swollen population of the Mount is becoming harder and harder to sustain, and the heroes are feeling the pressure."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Clines's book Ex-Patriots was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,133,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible