Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of…

Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science

by Michael Nielsen

A very interesting read about possibilities of open access and volunteer science. ( )
  infjsarah | Apr 24, 2016 |
Every book changes you and this one is no exception. Nielsen argues clearly and logically for a more connected and open way of sharing data and doing science. I'm convinced it's the way to go. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Reinventing discovery: the new era of networked science is a critical examination of the potentials of digital technologies, especially of collaborations that happen via the web. In his thesis, Nielsen does not aim to introduce new set of technologies, instead he charts how existing platforms can be optimally utilised. He maintains that online collaboration, if used properly, has the potential to serve as an architecture of attention (identification of expertise so as not to re-invent the wheel), amplifies collective intelligence (not AI), and fosters innovation. He thus argues, the use of social media for serious scientific projects is not a "frivolous" waste of time. He argues that online collaboration could give scientists the leisure of reading conversations and ideas of others at their convenience hence augmenting face to face collaboration. He cites exemplary projects including mathematician Tim Gower's blog, Wikipedia, Intellopedia (the use of Wiki by US intelligence service), Galaxy Zoo (citizen science project for discovering new planets and stars), and many others, which he believes can pinpoint to what is bigger coming in the future as these technologies become more mature, stable and perfected.

Open science including open access to scholarly communication and open data web, the author, identifies are big steps towards the road to building scientific information commons. Guarding data to scientists heart is no more good for science, he maintains. The era of networked science, the author indicates, has the power to revolutionise science and digital collaboration is key to this revolution.
Nielsen himself a physicist has for long advocated for open access. I should add that networked science is best achieved through effective use of metadata.
  getaneha | Jan 11, 2013 |
The subject here is not the science of networks but the effect of networks on the conduct of science. Open sourcing, open access, open data, citizen science, data-driven intelligence, wikis, etc. Nielsen says he "wrote this book with the goal of lighting an almighty fire under the scientific community." (p 206)
  fpagan | Oct 17, 2012 |

This is a book for anyone who wants to understand how the online world is revolutionizing scientific discovery today--and why the revolution is just beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

"In Reinventing Discovery, Michael Nielsen argues that we are living at the dawn of the most dramatic change in science in more than 300 years. This change is being driven by powerful new cognitive tools, enabled by the internet, which are greatly accelerating scientific discovery. There are many books about how the internet is changing business or the workplace or government. But this is the first book about something much more fundamental: how the internet is transforming the nature of our collective intelligence and how we understand the world. Reinventing Discovery tells the exciting story of an unprecedented new era of networked science. We learn, for example, how mathematicians in the Polymath Project are spontaneously coming together to collaborate online, tackling and rapidly demolishing previously unsolved problems. We learn how 250,000 amateur astronomers are working together in a project called Galaxy Zoo to understand the large-scale structure of the Universe, and how they are making astonishing discoveries, including an entirely new kind of galaxy. These efforts are just a small part of the larger story told in this book--the story of how scientists are using the internet to dramatically expand our problem-solving ability and increase our combined brainpower. This is a book for anyone who wants to understand how the online world is revolutionizing scientific discovery today--and why the revolution is just beginning"--"Reinventing Discovery argues that we are in the early days of the most dramatic change in how science is done in more than 300 years. This change is being driven by new online tools, which are transforming and radically accelerating scientific discovery"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,312,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible