My Story: A Photographic Essay on Life with…

My Story: A Photographic Essay on Life with Multiple Sclerosis (2004)

by Amelia Davis

When researching My Story by Amelia Davis I found this quote:
"...[offers] encouragement and inspiration for anyone coming to terms with what it means to be a person with [MS]." -- Consumer Connections, Winter 2004

I think this is the perfect description of this book. My Story: A Photographic Essay on Life with Multiple Sclerosis uses photographs along with short essays giving us a glimpse into the lives of 32 people living with MS. Contributors share the story of their life and how Multiple Sclerosis has changed them as well as the things they discovered that stay the same no matter what life throws at you. Photographs by Amelia Davis accompany each essay showing us the faces behind MS.

For every essay written by a person with Multiple Sclerosis in this book there is a companion essay written by their caregiver. Behind every person with a chronic illness be it MS or something else there is always someone and often a lot of someones caring for those people. If not physically then mentally and emotionally. not for a second can the plight of the individuals with the illness be downplayed, but those surrounding and supporting those people must not be forgotten, My Story does a wonderful job of including these people while at the same time not taking away from the individuals they are caring for. ( )
  momsnotall | Jun 10, 2009 |
Beautiful pictures offset uplifting and encouraging text. I would definately recommend this to anyone who knows someone with MS, becuase it also illustrates how the disease affects those around the patient, and gives examples of what they can do for their loved ones.
  masterdeski | Apr 8, 2009 |
This book was well written, giving the reader the insight as to what occurs not only with MS patients, but their caregivers as well. Given the fact that my daughter's teacher has a husband who has MS, it has given me a whole new respect for her as to her role as caregiver. A definite must read!! ( )
  KWoman | Apr 1, 2009 |
This book is beautiful and poignant. I really enjoyed the diversity in stories. From families, singles, different faiths, spiritualities, sexes, races, and sexualities. This book did a phenomenal job of exploring the whole host of backgrounds that are effective by MS. I especially enjoyed the extra effort to tell the “families” story. In most of the stories, someone closely involved in support or care of the storyteller was also included. The pictures were marvelous. I enjoyed the artistic simplicity where she managed to fully capture the essence of everyone in the book. I am donating this book to my library for the multitudes of local people who can find inspiration in this warm and touching look at the human side of MS. ( )
  madhousemirror | Mar 31, 2009 |
I really did like this book. It is wonderfully done and I like how each chapter focuses on a different person & their loved ones. The pictures are fantastic and I really like the format of this book. I recommend it to young & old people alike. ( )
  lg4154 | Mar 29, 2009 |
For Bonita
My caregiver, My strength. Thank you.
Foreword:
People often think that a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis is the end of their ability to live a normal life.
Preface:
Five years ago, just two months before my thirtieth birthday I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS).

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Amelia Davis's book My Story: A Photographic Essay on Life with Multiple Sclerosis was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Demos Health

An edition of this book was published by Demos Health.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible