Fun House by Chris Grabenstein

John Ceepak and his partner Danny Boyle take on the stars of a reality show set in their town of Sea Haven. This book was a fun read and as expected the stars of the reality show were self-centered and egotistical, making me want to give them a good smack most of the time. It was funny watching "by-the-book" Ceepak trying to communicate with the reality stars and their producer. Danny has come a long way since the first book in this series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I make it a point not to watch reality TV, but with the number of mystery series that I read using that as a plot device, I now know I was justified in my decision. Of course, it helps when a master like Chris Grabenstein is writing the book; I know he'll make me laugh about it-- and he certainly did (although I think I was cringing while I was laughing).

Layla, a character from the previous book, makes an appearance here as a production assistant on the set, and we have one worried Danny Boyle. You see... Ceepak is seriously thinking about a career change.

This is another swift-moving entry in this excellent series. Grabenstein planted plenty of red herrings for us readers; however, I still found the identity of the killer to be easy to deduce. But let's face it-- I don't read Ceepak and Boyle for ground-breaking mysteries. Grabenstein has created two splendid characters who have grabbed hold of my heart, and he knows how to make me laugh. That's more than good enough for me, and I think it will be for you, too. ( )
  cathyskye | Oct 10, 2016 |
Further adventures of Danny Boyle and his mentor, John Ceepak, as they police Sea Haven, a holiday city in New Jersey.
This time, their town is invaded by the makers of a reality TV program and the participants are all nicely flat and obnoxious. Ceepak and Danny look into a drug connection, which then leads into murder.
This is a light hearted, enjoyable read. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
I realized recently that I was a little behind on Chris Grabenstein's wonderful Ceepak series. After finishing two books rife with family dysfunction, spending some time with Danny Boyle and John Ceepak seemed like the perfect prescription. They are two of my most-loved characters, and if anything I loved them even more in the reading by Jeff Woodman of this, the first one of the Ceepak series I've "read" via audiobook.

All the Ceepak books are titled with carnival attractions and set on the Jersey shore, but the title of FUN HOUSE has a double meaning -- it's not only a walk-through place with distorting mirrors, but a reality TV show that has come to Sea Haven -- much to the disgust of Danny and Ceepak. When Ceepak's family outing to the skeeball palace is spoiled by drunken Fun House contestants, the police officers get more involved, and when murder ensues, the tale quickly moves to a thrilling though disturbing conclusion. I don't know how Grabenstein manages to combine his charming, humorous detectives with horrifying crimes and breathless suspense -- I just hope he keeps on doing it for a long time. Very highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jun 5, 2013 |
I got home from work at 4:30 and began reading at 4:31 and started to have fun in minutes. What do politicians and reality TV show actors have in common? They live in fantasy land! And this is certainly the case for the typical denizens of a house in a New Jersey beach resort who are being manipulated in every way possible by a TV crew for a reality show called Fun House. This is done to bring out out the worst characteristics of these young people and to engage the emotions of the viewing audience. It helps to keeps these actors on edge and out of control by one means or another, mainly beer.

So John Ceepak and sidekick Danny Boyle whose mental wisecracks keep me laughing in my own personal funhouse, have to give these (there is no nice word for them) fools a reality check. These leads to TV time for both of them which is unwelcome but tolerated and increasing involvement in the world of entertainment and unfortunately murder. Of course for some in the business of fame and fortune death is a small price to pay. Too bad Ceepak and Boyle don't see it that way.

Don't miss this book. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |

When one of the cast members of a raucous reality television show set in the New Jersey seaside resort town of Sea Haven is murdered, John Ceepak and Danny Boyle must move to protect the others and find the killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,009,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible