Halo: Primordium by Greg Bear

Upon finishing Primordium I called my brother (who was halfway through the book) and simply stated, “and you thought the last line of Cryptum changed the halo universe.” This is, succinctly put, the crux of Bear’s enterprise.

Following the tale of Chakas after the events of Cryptum, the story weaves between his telling and his modern existence as a monitor talking to Reclaimer scientists and military. As well as being fascinating and filled with vivid imagery, compelling characters, and intriguing technologies, the novel provides depth, scope, and new dimensions to the Halo universe, the Flood, the Primordials, the Forerunners, the Librarian, the Captive, the Didact, monitors, Halos, and Arks. The tale grows in the telling, and is a beautiful composition that educates readers about the Halo universe, but not at the expense of plot, readability, or pace. The Forerunner Trilogy may turn out to be among the best Halo novels (despite its lack of John, Cortana, and Spartan IIs). The concepts, including the child, the experiments, and the composer, are chilling. As with Cryptum, the last chapter and indeed the last line turn everything you thought you knew about this universe upside down.

I highly recommend this series to sci-fi fans, including those who have no interest in the Halo universe (though the incredible endings of the novels and twists are most significant to those familiar with the Halo games and novels). ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |
An improvement on the first volume in this series. As the first book this is a step away from the action packed military Sci-Fi stories following the Master Chief and other special forces characters in the Halo universe. This book is told as a data stream from one of the monitors, once a human long ago. This book tells some of the story of the forerunners, who they were to the human race, and the story of the rings and how they came to be. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
This was not the usual kind of scifi that I like and at first I thought I wasn't going to like it but somewhere along the way I got sucked in. Very interesting story line. I would certainly recommend it and will read other books by this author. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Feb 7, 2012 |

A long time ago, I was a living, breathing human being. I went mad. I served my enemies. They became my only friends.

Since then, I’ve traveled back and forth across this galaxy, and out to the spaces between galaxies--a greater reach than any human before me.

You have asked me to tell you about that time. Since you are the last true Reclaimer, I must obey. Are you recording? Good. Because my memory is failing rapidly. I doubt I’ll be able to finish the story.

Once, on my birth-world, a world I knew as Erde-Tyrene, and which now is called Earth, my name was Chakas...

In the wake of apparent self-destruction of the Forerunner empire, two humans--Chakas and Riser--are like flotsam washed up on very strange shores indeed.

Captured by the Master Builder, misplaced during a furious battle in space, they now find themselves on an inverted world where horizons rise into the sky, and where humans of all kinds are trapped in a perilous cycle of horror and neglect. For they have become both research animals and strategic pawns in a cosmic game whose madness knows no end--a game of ancient vengeance between the powers who seeded the galaxy with life, and the Forerunners who expect to inherit their sacred Mantle of duty to all living things.

In the company of a young girl and an old man, Chakas begins an epic journey across a lost and damaged Halo in search of a way home, an explanation for the warrior spirits rising up within, and for the Librarian’s tampering with human destiny.

This journey will take them into the Palace of Pain, the domain of a powerful and monstrous intelligence who claims to be the Last Precursor, and who now has control of both this Halo and the fate of Forerunners and Humans alike.

Called the Captive by Forerunners, and the Primordial by ancient human warriors, this intelligence has taken charge of, and retasked, the Master Builder’s cruel researches into the Flood--which it may have itself unleashed on the galaxy more than ten thousand years before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:59 -0400)

Continues the story of the ancient Forerunners engineering race, who are worshiped as gods by the Covenant while their mysterious connection to humanity slowly unfolds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,406,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible