The Sting of The Scorpio (The Scorpio…

The Sting of The Scorpio (The Scorpio Series)

by Monique Domovitch

621,268,033 (4.67)None

Picking up where Scorpio Rising left off, this book continues with all of the emotional punch and well-defined characters of the first, while creating a story that is fun to read, and keeps you entertained. Brigitte and Alex have moved to New York, and are starting their lives together. Alex has not lost his desire to ‘be someone important’, and his single-minded determination and immature need for ego-stroking at every moment create a character that is far less sympathetic. As the business and his notoriety grow, Brigitte retreats to become the “woman behind the man”, or does she?

Rife with infidelities, intrigue and a peek at the world of high end real estate development, this was another ‘can’t put it down’ book, with a mysterious twist at the end that is not at all expected.
A story line that is tightly crafted with great detail and fast pacing, this second book in the series both meets and exceeds the expectations of the first, and provides a satisfying conclusion to the saga of Alex and Brigitte.

I received a copy of this book from the author for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility. ( )
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
If Scorpio Rising was good, The Sting of the Scorpio was AMAZING!

The first book tells the story of two kids growing up and trying to make their ways in the world. This second book tells an equally intriguing story, but also deals with an intense whirlwind of emotions. Everything in this book is so true and so real, that it made me smile, laugh, giggle insanely, and cry.

The Sting of the Scorpio begins where I left off in my review of Scorpio Rising. I was concerned that Brigitte and Alex’s relationship progressed too quickly, and didn’t believe that Alex really wanted a relationship. This statement rings true right off the bat in The Sting of the Scorpio.

As Brigitte moves to New York to live with Alex, Alex soon comes to realize that he’s not the domestic type. He doesn’t want to hang around the house all day, or even be a dedicated husband/father. He throws himself into his work, often ignoring Brigitte, despite her pleas to spend more time together. As time goes on, he becomes extremely controlling. He doesn’t want Brigitte working, despite the fact that it’s her passion, because he believes only he should be the one making money in the household. He begins to slip into his old habits of having one night stands, but this time it’s worse because they’re affairs.

The Sting of the Scorpio is mainly about Alex building his business and Brigitte dealing with her marriage. Alex tries to build his architecture career from the ground up, encountering financial difficulties and many “rough patches.” But it’s pretty awesome to watch him try and try again, and never give up.

The thing that had me absolutely loving this book is the fact that it’s so real. It brings to life a number of unfortunate truths. Brigitte and Alex’s relationship becomes sad — the kind that I pity and hope I never have. But unfortunately, I think a lot of relationships in real life are like that. Marriages are unhappy, people aren’t compatible, husbands cheat, wives put up with it, and so on. It was fascinating to watch Alex build his business, and heartbreaking to watch Brigitte’s marriage fall apart.

This book has so much raw emotion. Since it covers a span of about 20 years, you literally feel like you grow up with the characters. You live their lives with them. Their tragedies feel so much more real.

Another thing I loved was the ending. It was so satisfying and I honestly didn’t see it coming. In hindsight it totally makes sense, but in the moment, the author leads you to draw different assumptions so you’re totally surprised by the time you get to the end!

I definitely and 100% recommend this book to anyone! You will fall in love with it, and maybe even stay up until 6am reading it like I did. ( )
  tripsis | May 24, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,631,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible