The Girl Who Couldn't Say No: Memoir of…

The Girl Who Couldn't Say No: Memoir of a teenage mom

by Tracy Engelbrecht

Recently added byKajola, wm3395, Stickarmz, nospi, Erin_H, mmoj

As Comic-Book Guy from 'The Simpsons' might say, Worst. Book. Ever. Okay, maybe not EVER but it's pretty awful. And I'm never getting that time back. I'm not a single mother - but I did have an unplanned child at an inopportune time.

The woman may have been 27/28 when the book was published, but it sounds like it comes straight from the diaries of well, a fifteen year old. Good concept, important subject matter, TERRIBLY executed.

Through the blood, tears, sweat, and what sounds like the massive support of her family she was able to continue her education and have decent job prospects, but other than a quick blurb at the end, about young girls - postpartum, who still don't understand what it means to have a baby - it fails to be useful even as a cautionary tale.

I wish I'd known to begin with she was South African because the language (during the read) left me feeling like it was an American attempting to use British slang to set herself apart. That's my bad, I admit it.

I don't want to be personal, but it IS a memoir. I hopehopehope this woman is doing a little therapy and maybe seeing a psychiatrist - being of 'those that require a little extra mental health help' - I'm just calling it like it appears in the book.

Ugh. Don't read it. Don't even think about it. I can't believe this tripe has over three stars on Goodreads. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible