Oceanborne by Katherine Irons

Oceanborne

by Katherine Irons

122768,668 (3)None

Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Need I repeat myself? Hot. Atlantean. Prince.

Opening Sentence: It wasn’t a good day to die.

The Review:

In this book, we return to the fabulous underwater kingdom known to all as Atlantis. We are this time in the mix of a brutal war and governmental coup of sorts. So things are a bit stressed in the great city. We also spend some time in Crete, where the heroine is spearheading an underwater dig in search of some major archaeological finds.

In Oceanborne, the second installment of this series, we get better acquainted with Prince Orion, second/third in line for the throne of Atlantis. There is a slash there because he has an identical twin, and they could take each others’ place in line, depending which one their father, Poseidon, likes better that day. Prince Orion is later born than the crown prince, but no less, well no less anything, really. He’s just as hot, heroic, and willful as his older brother and also equally as adept with his weapon…*blush*! Did I mention he has a twin?

Our heroine is underwater archaeologist Elena Carter. Archaeology runs in her veins, from her grandfather, to her father, to her, but life hasn’t always worked out as she planned. For her whole career, it seems that she had to overcome a shadow cast over the Carter name by her father, who was lost at sea on his search for the mystical city of Atlantis, something all humans know does not exist. Also, she is being courted by a rich (insert insult here) heir to an oil empire, who is begging her to wear his ring, and just maybe Elena doesn’t want to be tied down, or tied down to him anyway.

On the search for something fantastic, Elena happens upon a handsome stranger, saves his life, then he returns the favor. What follows these extraordinary circumstances is a stream of events worthy of today’s best soap operas. You see, in an effort to protect his race, Orion must wipe her memory after each time they are together, so she meets him over and over again, each time she grows more aware of his nature and what he is actually doing to her. Actually, he is trying to save her from the dark force she has uncovered along with that ship off the coast. And in the course of his rescue attempt, he takes her to the very center of the Earth for protection, assuming that the fairies whom inhabit that realm will take care of her. While they are there, we take the time to look in on the happenings of Atlantis, and the ever present malicious scheming of King Poseidon’s former minor queen and her pathetic whelp, to use her phrasing. There is a major kicker though. When Orion is refused his request of sanctuary for Elena, he must bring her home with him for her own safety, and there we discover that past events are altered as if we never read them, and the fate of a whole race is changed, some for the better, others not so much.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as much as I did the first, especially once I figured it all out. All in all, a fitting next chapter in what I still feel is a great series with awesome potential.

Notable Scene:

Wake up, she told herself. It’s time to wake up from this dream, this nightmare, whatever the hell it is!

Sheer terror locked her joints and chilled her flesh. It could only be a dream, and yet nothing had ever seemed so real. Still, she found herself unable to move a muscle… until the thing turned and propelled itself through the water toward her.

Half on hands and knees, half swimming, she fled toward the only refuge she could imagine—the man with sword. The beast shot out of the hole, larger and more terrifying than any demon, and bore down on her, legs reaching, uninjured tentacle poised to wrap around her…to lift her high and plunge her into that pitiless, tooth-filled mouth.

“Orion! Help me!” she cried. But when she raised her head, he was gone. He’d abandoned her to be devoured alive. The tip of the tentacle slapped against her bare leg, and she screamed again as white-hot fire seared her skin. She kicked and twisted, squirming away, landing on her back. The snakelike tentacle reared back and time stopped.

Elena closed her eyes, wanting to wake in her bed with the sheets damp around her and moonlight spilling through the window onto worn floorboards, wanting but knowing that would not be. Impossibly, this nightmare was real, more real than anything she’d ever experienced. She screamed again as death in its most terrible form plunged toward her.

The Seaborne Series:

1. Seaborne

2. Oceanborne

3. Waterborne

FTC Advisory: Kensington provided me with a copy of Seaborne. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Feb 13, 2012 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

OCEANBORNE, the second book in Katherine Irons paranormal romance series, Seaborne, unites three of my absolute favorite things: Atlantis, archaeology, and mermaids. Unfortunately, it doesn’t unite them very well.

My experience reading OCEANBORNE went something like this: “Ooh…a new mermaid paranormal romance. Sweet, the protagonist is an archaeologist! And it involves Atlantis!!” I snatched the book up, thrilled to have so many things I love all in one book before I even started reading. By the end of the first chapter, my enthusiasm had dimmed a little just based on the author’s tendency to overwrite and the use of some fairly annoying Atlantean slang. Then the archaeologist was introduced and I lost still more excitement. Elena was not a strong heroine, but then again, Orion wasn’t a strong hero, so at least they fit in that sense.

Elana is in her mid thirties, feeling pressure from her loser boyfriend to get married and pop out a few kids. She’s not ready, but is fine with dating this guy even though he’s a pushy jerk. She meets Orion and instant lust is shared by all. Orion, is arrogant and quite proud of his sexual prowess (which we are reminded of constantly), but being with humans is a huge taboo for Atlanteans, so he fights his inexplicable attraction to her. Sort of. What he does is work her up into a supernatural sexual frenzy when she tries to run away from him and pretty much does everything except have actual intercourse with her so that he won’t have to feel guilty, then he wipes her mind and dumps her at a dock. Super classy, right? Once was bad enough, but since Orion has all the self control of an eight year old, he sexes her up again and then rewipes her mind.

During all this, there are a couple other plotlines going on involving several various attempts to undermine and overthrow Poseidon's reign, and another about Elana’s boyfriend trying to find her and make her marry him. Neither one is particularly intriguing, but they did help distract from the increasingly large plot holes involving time travel, little girls with inexplicable magical powers, Fairies, and missing people who turn out not to be missing.

Overall, despite several exciting concepts, OCEANBORNE suffers from overwriting, lapses into silliness, numerous plot holes, and unnecessary characters. If you want to read a paranormal romance about Atlantis, I’d suggest picking up Alyssa Day’s Warriors of Poseidon series and throwing OCEANBORNE overboard.

Sexual Content:
Several sex scenes. Sexual assault. References to rape. ( )
  pollywannabook | Sep 18, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075826142X, Paperback)

Underwater archaeologist Elena Carter has always loved the sea. But when she pulls a handsome stranger from the water in the midst of a storm, she realizes there is much she still has to learn. Taking shelter from the tempest, they experience pleasure different from any she has felt before. Then the stranger, her intoxicating Prince Orion, disappears, leaving only an ancient artefact. Reluctantly returning to her land bound life, Elena finds more pieces to a puzzle that baffles her even as it hints at greater discoveries yet to be made. Who - or what - is Orion? And once she has known the touch of the sea, can Elena return to the world she left behind?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible