Pretty Little Secrets by Sara Shepard

Pretty Little Secrets

by Sara Shepard

I connected again with my favorite guilty pleasure. I hate that term as it applies to books, but quite frankly...this is a guilty pleasure. I feel it really applies to these books, because I secretly despise the girls in this book the whole time I am reading the book. And, if for a few minutes or pages or a couple of chapters, I DON'T despise them, then I know in the back of my head that I will again SOON.

And then there is the part where you watch the girls' lives continually get worse and worse. Honestly, that part makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable in my own skin...like I am watching a really uncomfortable movie or something. Except I'm reading it, instead, and it takes SO much longer.

So, trying to explain exactly what it is that keeps me coming back is really difficult. I guess it's partly wanting to see if things are going to eventually work out for the best for the girls. And partly wanting really badly to know who A is. I am a sucker for mysteries, even when it feels more like dirty gossip than a novel.

I think what really gets me the most is that there are probably actually girls like this out there somewhere. I cannot comprehend being in that world. Being so hateful to each other. Probably really having these horrible family lives, too. WHO TREATS THEIR KIDS LIKE THAT, ANYWAY?!

Maybe the other reason I read these books is just to try and understand their world. ( )
  TheGrandWorldofBooks | May 21, 2016 |
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult; Mystery
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Insta like GAG!
Cliff Hanger: Nope.

Total: 3

In Depth

Best Part:
None of the above.
Worst Part: Pointless stories.
Overall Feels Felt: Bored; Shut up!; That's what you get!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: nooooooooooooo
Misc.:

Short Review: Well since i read all 16 books, i figured i should read the novellas too. Big mistake. This was crap. Comparing this to Fan-Fic. It's just ugh.

Hanna's story was gag worthy. Hanna please stop throwing yourself at every man!

Aria's story was wayyyyy too far fetched. Marring in Atlantic City. Aria please calm your tits.

Emily's story was a bit exciting but demeaning. Her mom saying shit about girl's with short hair are lesbians. Emily please get the stick out of your ass.

Spencer's story was the worse, i think. Fighting over yet another man with her sister. Spencer please kill your sister already. Melissa please act your damn age.

Review In GIF Form

booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
Love the 2011 Christmas special of Pretty Little Liars' first companion novel and takes place between Unbelievable and Wicked before Killer and Heartless. ( )
  allygggggg | Jun 13, 2014 |
I think I will always be a fan of this Pretty Little Liars series because it is so good! This is all due to author Sara Shepard. She writes teenage girl bitch who pretends to be a friend so well it gives me chills! It also made me realize I've known girls like this when I was a teenager and didn't quite know it.

This may be excused and ignored as another teen book and therefore categorized as inferior but it's not. Shepard created complex characters with their own individual neuroses and a formidable and omnipotent antagonist who creeps me out.

Pretty Little Secrets, although it came out in 2011, takes place between the fourth book Perfect and the fifth book Wicked chronologically in the series. It's a Christmas story showing how the main characters, the "liars:" Hanna, Aria, Emily, and Spencer, spent the holiday and the new year by accumulating huge secrets of their own while the new and improved "A" emerged as a more brutal and cold-hearted stalker than the previous one.

The secrets themselves were funny, very kooky, and very in-tune with what each character would do when their insecurities run amok such as Hanna's inferiority complex, Emily doing whatever she has to do for her friends, Aria's need for love, and Spencer's need for acceptance with her family. Pretty Little Secrets was awesome and I cannot wait to read the next! ( )
  Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |

Rule number one of being an effective stalker: get to know your prey, the trouble they get into, the messes they make, and the secrets they keep. Hanna's desperate for a very personal session with her gym trainer. Emily is number one on Santa's naughty list. Aria's old flame from Iceland is about to land her in hot water. And Spencer's resorting to some backhanded tactics to get what she wants.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,001,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible