I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

I Remember You (2010)

by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

Recently added byErina39, Lepophagus
    House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy (sturlington)
    sturlington: Moving to an isolated place to restore an old house as a bed and breakfast is always a bad idea.
    The Other Child by Charlotte Link (buchstabendompteurin)

English (24)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  All (32)
Just the perfect atmospheric read I was looking for this October, if a little predictable. ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
2.5 ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Much too slow-moving for most of the book, it mercifully picks up the pace in the last quarter and becomes a good read then. I read it for a book group, or I would have abandoned it 50 pages in.

The plot is not realistic, but then it is subtitled a "ghost story." I found the story of the threesome on the island tedious and obvious, and was nonplussed that the ending was unclear for two of those characters. The psychiatrist's story was more mysterious, principally because the author held back very critical information until the very end. The identity of the murderer, presumably, is ridiculous to me.

It's a book that's elaborately plotted and intentionally confusing, so it depends on a reader's credulity and patience. Also, a belief in the supernatural. But I thought the writer was good at conveying the Icelandic setting, and I think she has story-telling talent. ( )
  Laura400 | Oct 24, 2016 |
A 'Slow' Story!...

Finally, I'm finished with this book! I felt like I kept reading & reading it would just never end! I wanted to read this book because I really like Simone St. James and she gave this book 5 stars on GR. I figured since Simone knows how to write fantastic ghost stories then it must be good. Well that just goes to show you that everyone has different tastes and expectations. A 5 star review for one person, may be a 3 star review for someone else...

Since I spent so much time on this book already, I'm going to make this short. The story was slow & boring. There were a couple of chapters that had some creepy parts but that was about it. All of the suspense was taken out of it by the author's writing style of tell, tell, tell. It had the perfect Icelandic setting and could have been very atmospheric but even it wasn't done well. The majority of the story actually read more like crime fiction, so if you're in the mood for a good creepy ghost story, I would find something else to read!

#20 Books of Summer Bingo
1. I Remember You- Yrsa Sigurđardóttir (Book Bust or Bummer)
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book was recommended to me and I am glad it was because it was an interesting read.

I do not love it because I loved the part where they were with the 3 of them on the island and it took me quite a long time to enjoy the other part which played ashore with the cop and the psychiatrist. I think that it is because there is perhaps a bit too much going on in this story.

What also annoyed me that at the end of each chapter something "scary" appeared to happen but after a few of those chapters you knew that it was not much going on really.

What I do like is that once I've finished it I feel the need to discuss this with other readers because I have questions. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

Yrsa Sigurðardóttirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flecken, TinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobelli, JamesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Løken, Silje BeiteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roughton, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roughton, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my wonderful parents-in-law, Ásrún Ólafsdóttir and Þorhallur Jónsson.
The waves rolled the boat to and fro in a constantly changing rhythm.

The crunching noise had resumed, now accompanied by a disgusting, indefinable smell. It could best by described as a blend of kelp and rotten meat. The voice spoken again, now slightly louder and clearer:

DON'T GO. DON'T GO YET. I'M NOT FINISHED.

In an isolated village in the Icelandic Westfjords, three friends set to work renovating a derelict house. But soon they realize they are not alone there — something wants them to leave, and it's making its presence felt.

Meanwhile, in a town across the fjord, a young doctor investigating the suicide of an elderly worman discovers that she was obsessed with his vanished son.

When the two stories collide, the terrifying truth is uncovered...

This horrifying thriller, partly based on a true story, is the scariest novel yet from an international bestseller.

"International superstar Yrsa Sigurdardottir has captivated the attention of readers around the world with her mystery series featuring attorney Thora Gudmundsdottir. Now, Yrsa will stun readers once again with this out-of-this-world ghost story that will leave you shivering. In an isolated village in the Icelandic Westfjords, three friends set to work renovating a rundown house. But soon, they realize they are not as alone as they thought. Something wants them to leave, and it's making its presence felt. Meanwhile, in a town across the fjord, a young doctor investigating the suicide of an elderly woman discovers that she was obsessed with his vanished son. When the two stories collide, the terrifying truth is uncovered. In the vein of John Ajvide Lindqvist, this horrifying thriller, partly based on a true story, is the scariest novel yet from Yrsa Sigurdardottir, who has taken the international crime fiction world by storm"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,502,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible