Twelve Drummers Drumming: A Mystery (Father…

Twelve Drummers Drumming: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mysteries) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by C. C. Benison

Member:19anne44
Title:Twelve Drummers Drumming: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mysteries)
Authors:C. C. Benison
Info:Bantam (2012), Paperback, 400 pages

Twelve Drummers Drumming by C. C. Benison (2011)

Surprisingly complex. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
The cover is misleading this is not a Christmas book, but a delightful British cozy mystery. The wife of the central character, Tim Christmas, was murdered. He retreats with his daughter to a small village only to have murders happen there as well. I hope this writer will continue this series. I really liked the characters. I also hope that there will be some resolution to the murder of Father Christmas's wife. It was a wonderful read. Great company for a rainy afternoon. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I wasn't as impressed by this book, the mystery is okay but I thought the writing a flat at times. Having the main character's last name; Christmas, seems lazy, but the list of sequel possibilities endless. 'Christmas comes but once a year, Do they know it's Christmas well there is thousands of possibilities. I don't think I'll be reading any of them. ( )
  charlie68 | Feb 7, 2014 |
When Father Tom Chirstmas takes a position in Thornford Regis, he's hoping for a bucolic exsistence after a tragedy left him a widow and nine-year old Miranda without a mother. However, when the Japanese drummers, who are in town for May Fayre, find one drum ripped, there's a body inside. Cue a townful of suspects and an author who can make us start to care about all of them. The British small village mystery, so popular from Agatha Christie seems to be alive and well. So much so, that a couple of secondary characters even refer to their present murder and missing vicar investigation as very much like a Christie who done it. All in all, a great beginning to a new to me series, two more already in print, ready for me to check out. ( )
  ethel55 | Jan 4, 2014 |
I avoided this series for a long time because of the name of the main character, Father Tom Christmas, thinking is was going to be seasonal and hokey. What a mistake to judge a book by the name on its cover. I discovered Twelve Drummers Drumming to be a well written, interesting and original story.

Not the type of character I normally gravitate toward, the center post of the series is an English vicar who flees to a small town with his young daughter after the murder of his wife. We are not given any real details of Father Christmas's wife's murder, although it was unexpected and brutal. Not long after being in town, a troubled teenager is found dead stuffed inside of an African drum. The story then propels forward quickly into a tightly wound mystery with well crafted plot. What is particularly satisfying is the portrayal of the vicar, a godly man with doubts, crisis and concerns common to all of us.

I will definitely continue to read this series. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Aug 19, 2013 |
In Benison’s first series, Queen Elizabeth II helped out with the sleuthing. This new book begins a trilogy featuring a clergyman named Christmas in the role of detective. Father Christmas, nudge nudge. The scene is Thornford Regis, which may look like a piece of picturesque English countryside but is really a cover for all kinds of nasty thoughts and deeds. For readers who love cozies, the book represents a form of paradise, even if its imaginative author — Benison is a pseudonym — happens to be a native of Winnipeg, Man.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 14, 2012)

For Gaylene Chestnut and Henrietta Wilde
Thornford Regis TC9 6QX

26 May

Dear Mum,

When I sat down to write this morning's letter, I couldn't help but think about that May Fayre 30 years ago when I moved back to Thornford R from London, you all dressed up as always in that red shawl Dad found that time at Newton Abbot market and your pink brocade turban with Grannie's ruby broach stuck in.

Introducing Father Tom Christmas, the wise, warmhearted new vicar of a picturesque English village that seems to be a haven of peace. But appearances can be very deceiving. . . .

Thornford Regis has never been lovelier: larks on the wing, lilacs in bloom, and the May Fayre in full swing. But inside the empty village hall, the huge Japanese o-daiko drum that’s featured in the festivities has been viciously sliced open—and curled up inside is the bludgeoned body of Sybella Parry, the beautiful nineteen-year-old daughter of the choir director.

That she was too young to die, everyone agrees. But did Sybella’s apparent affinity for Goth and the black arts, and her rumored drug use, attract a shady element that led to her distressing demise?

Father Tom Christmas, still haunted by the tragedy that has left him a widower and his nine-year-old daughter motherless, soon realizes that this idyllic village is not the refuge he’d hoped for. He also comes to a disturbing conclusion: Sybella’s killer must be one of his parishioners. No one is above suspicion—not Sebastian John, Father Tom’s deeply reserved verger, nor Mitsuko Drewe, a local artist, nor irritable Colonel Northmore, survivor of a World War II prison camp. One by one, infidelity, theft, and intrigue are exposed. And over all, like an approaching storm, hangs the long-unsolved mystery of a sudden disappearance, one that brought Father Tom to a picture-perfect place to live—or die.

Smart, funny, edgy, and packing a terrific emotional charge, Twelve Drummers Drumming is a brilliant launch for C. C. Benison’s series starring Father Tom Christmas, an appealing new detective on the mystery scene.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:49 -0400)

Thornford Regis has never been lovelier: larks on the wing, lilacs in bloom, and the May Fayre in full swing. But inside the empty village hall, the huge Japanese o-daiko drum featured in the festivities has been viciously sliced open-- and curled up inside is a bludgeoned body. Father Tom Christmas, still haunted by the tragedy that has left him a widower and his nine-year-old daughter motherless, soon realizes that this idyllic village is not the refuge he'd hoped for... and that Sybella's killer must be one of his parishioners.… (more)

C. C. Benison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

37 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,247,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible