My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman

My Cross to Bear (2012)

by Gregg Allman

Other authors: Alan Light

Enjoyable book about his life. ( )
  ownedbycats | Sep 1, 2013 |
ebook version
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Definitely two less stars if you're not a fan. But if you are a fan then Gregg's behind the scenes story of life in the Allmans and his dealings with drugs, alcohol and death of friends and family really gives you the full picture. The writing does fly all over as Gregg easily tangents off on side stories and thoughts. Maybe when Dickey Betts penned Ramblin Man he was really writing about Gregg's book writing style.

Interesting is what goes into writing a song, his dealing with death and just how much effort and dedication goes into making it in music. Another point that surprised me was that the money didn't really start rolling in until after Duane died. Not that his death contributed to it, but just terrible timing as it is evident from Gregg that the only reason he made it was because Duane really believed the dream and pushed them both so hard. ( )
  rayski | Nov 7, 2012 |
As some of you may know, I’m a big Allman Brothers Band fan. Not the biggest, but big enough. I’ve seen Gregg perform solo a good number of times and the Allman Brothers Band pretty much regularly at the Beacon Theater in New York. So Gregg’s autobiography was a must read, regardless of the reviews, which were pretty good.

My Cross to Bear is an interesting read. It’s like sitting in Gregory’s (his real friends call him Gregory, not Gregg) living room over a cup of coffee (since he’s alcohol/drug free) and listening to him ramble on about his life, his brother, his wives, bandmates, etc. He doesn’t ‘diss’ anyone nor does he reveal any major revelations. His alcohol and drug abuse, as well as that of his bandmates, made for a turbulent life.

However, My Cross to Bear is more notable for what it doesn’t say. Searching for Simplicity is far and away Gregg’s best solo album as well as, in my humble opinion, one of the best blues albums around. It apparently is one that Gregg’s proud of as well. Yet there’s scant mention of it and there’s no mention of why he never plays songs from it in his concerts. Hittin’ the Note is the best (and only) Allman Brothers album produced recently and he barely mentions it, other than to say Jaimoe came up with the title from one of Berry Oakley’s pet phrases.

While My Cross to Bear is a must for Allman Brothers fans, I’d rather have heard less about the tos and fros of his travels and more about the making of some of the best music we’ll ever hear. ( )
1 vote EdGoldberg | May 20, 2012 |

Gregg Allmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Light, Alansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

For the first time, the author, a rock music icon, and one of the founding members of The Allman Brothers Band, tells the full story of his life and career. No subject is taboo, as one of the true giants of rock 'n' roll opens up about his Georgia youth, his long struggle with substance abuse, his string of bad marriages (including his brief union with superstar Cher), the tragic death of brother Duane Allman, and life on the road in one of rock's most legendary bands.… (more)

91 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible