HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Night Train to Lisbon: A Novel by Pascal…
Loading...

Night Train to Lisbon: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Pascal Mercier, Barbara Harshav (Translator)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
2,143833,050 (3.8)148
Member:bucketyell
Title:Night Train to Lisbon: A Novel
Authors:Pascal Mercier
Other authors:Barbara Harshav (Translator)
Info:Grove Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:TBR 2012 & PRIOR

Work details

Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier (2004)

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 148 mentions

English (55)  Dutch (19)  Danish (4)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (83)
Showing 1-5 of 55 (next | show all)
Coming from a Philosophy professor, I was a bit skeptical to get into the book first, but then I was drawn into the book when the protagonist, Gregorius, also a professor, leaves his stagnant and monotonous life behind on an impulse, and boards a train for Lisbon, to understand the tragic end of a writer.

What is the story ?
The main character, Raimund Gregorius, is a teacher of classics, who has lead a very tedious life, and that one day, out of the blue, decides to leave his job, go to Lisbon and search for the author of a book which seems to ´talk´to him. Raimund is in his mid fifties, and lives involved in a thick existential angst that makes all decisions agonizing. He takes a bold step when he decides to go to Lisbon, but continues living his life with timidity and fear. The plot mixes the mid-life crisis narrative with a reflexion on identity and also with the discovery of the work and life of a mysterious author who is not only a poet but also indulges in philosophical reflexion. The literary character, the author of the book that captivates Raimund, is a doctor poet who was involved in the resistance against the dictatorship and who is described as very gifted.

Well, there is suspense in it, but what’s brilliant are the insights into life. For me, it was rewarding, when I took the patience to read it. ( )
  CorinneT | Jul 31, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

I started reading Nighttrain to Lisbon together with quite some other frequent book-readers. I probably hadn't chosen this book by myself even though the press were very enthusiast about it. But, I didn't like it. The story seemed a bit weird, I didn't know what to think of it. And in my opinion everything happens far too easy. He finds everyone he wants to speak with, everybody is still alive. I really had to force myself to keep reading and prevent myself from putting it away. I wouldn't recommend it, but I know there are a lot of people who really like it as well. ( )
1 vote Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Che dire?
Che il portoghese è uno stato d'animo da provare; che un tedesco docente di filosofia che scrive un libro cosi' ha di sicuro un quadro astrale particolare; che di Lisbona non se ne ha mai abbastanza; che Tarrafal è una cosa che dovevamo sapere fin dalle scuole medie ma nessuno ce lo ha mai detto; che sono due libri in uno, ma forse qualcuno di piu'.
Che 30 pagine prima della fine, puttana eva, mi sono trovato a piangere, neanche mi fosse finito il cane sotto un camion.
Che questo è un bello scrivere, ed è un bel leggere, ed è un bel ricordare. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
Dieses Buch ist mal wieder ein gelungenes Beispiel für einen völlig mißlungenen Klappen- und Umschlagtext und was daraus wird: Mehr als die Hälfte der Bewertungen bei amazon sind gut bis sehr gut, ca. ein Drittel schlecht bis sehr schlecht und lediglich 10% finden es 'so ok'. Kein Wunder: Wer sich ein Buch kauft aufgrund der vollmundigen Ankündigung als Krimi ('Bewußtseinskrimi!'), in dem der Protagonist Raimund Gregorius um sein Leben fürchten muss, wird schwer enttäuscht sein von dieser Lektüre. Statt Verbrechen und gefährlichen Situationen ist der Schwerpunkt dieser Reise nach Lissabon eine Suche. Die Suche nach dem, was den wahren, echten Menschen ausmacht.
Klingt, als ob sich um einen weiteren der zahllosen Lebensratgeber handelt: Wer bin ich? Was will ich? Erkenne dich selbst! Das Ganze verpackt in eine unterhaltsame Rahmenhandlung, die Gregorius auf der Suche nach einem portugiesischen Autor (Prado) nach Lissabon führt. Doch weit gefehlt. Statt der üblichen mittlerweile alltäglichen Ratschläge wie 'Gönnen Sie sich eine Auszeit und entdecken Sie, was SIE wollen!', legt der Autor Schicht für Schicht all die Einflüsse offen, die das eigene Ich einzwängen, bedrängen, leiten.... Doch ist das was dann bleibt, das eigene ICH?
Durch das Lesen der Schriften des verstorbenen Prados und der Erforschung dessen Lebens erfolgt Gregorius' zunehmende Erkenntnis seines eigenen Ich. Prado war besessen von dieser Frage, wer er selber war und Gregorius beginnt verstärkt sich ebenso diesen Fragen zu stellen wie ganz zwangsläufig auch die Leserinnen und Leser.
Doch dies ist nur ein Thema (wenn auch das hauptsächliche) um das dieses Buch kreist. Es geht um Gott, um den Tod, das Miteinander der Menschen... Ein ungemein reichhaltiges, inhaltsschweres Werk das sich dennoch nicht allzu schwer liest. Doch es ist keine Unterhaltungslektüre die nur zu konsumieren ist. Um's eigene Gedanken machen wird man kaum herum kommen :-) ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
A turgid book, which has a few moments of interest at the beginning, when teacher Gregorius decides to change his life so radically that he abandons his classroom in mid-lesson. It’s certainly an exciting start (in a literary genre understanding of the concept of ‘excitement’, that is) though I thought the scene of a strange woman writing a phone number on Gregorius' head was beyond curious. At that stage, however, I was prepared to forgive this small oddity in the hope that the book’s interest would grow and deepen.

It didn’t. There’s a fair amount of travel in various directions, as the MC chases after the elusive (and now dead) author Prado. He meets a lot of people who make a large number of not-very-interesting and very long-winded declarations. Goodness, they do go on. The characterisation and plot gets entirely lost under a veritable barrage of words, and I abandoned all interest in the novel at a fairly early stage. Sometimes the prose is laughably bad, and there’s far too much telling and not nearly enough showing us what’s going on. Not a good combination.

I think it might have had a slight chance if the mysterious Prado had been a writer worth pursuing, but honestly he wasn’t. I grew very tired of his interminable book and his dull ramblings but the good news is they’re easy to skip as they’re in italics. Suffice it to say there’s a love triangle of some sort or other, but I couldn’t be bothered to understand much of the details. I also have no idea why all the women appear to be in love with Prado, as he strikes me as nothing more or less than a smug and pretentious egotist too wrapped up in his own perceived perfection to have any real time for anyone else.

Perhaps though, at some level, that’s the point of all this? That we all tend to pursue goals and dreams which aren’t what they appear to be, and really Gregorius would have been far better off giving the night train to Lisbon a miss, and finishing off the lesson he left so abruptly instead. The Isabel Allende quote on the front tells us she thinks it’s one of the best book she’s ever read. My suggestion would be that she widens her reading material, hey ho. Oh well.

Verdict: Turgid. 2 stars. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Jul 11, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 55 (next | show all)
Stilsikker, ordrik og eksistenstung
En vidløftig, men i beste forstand politisk roman, fra Portugal under diktator Salazar.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jun 16, 2010)
 
Jag beklagar, men han fick inte med mig på tåget.
 
Throwing in one life to look for another

Having situated himself on the disputed border between fact and fiction, Pascal Mercier now takes his rightful place among our finest European novelists.
added by annek49 | editThe Telegraph, Daniel Johnson (Feb 24, 2008)
 
De grote klasse van het fictieve Portugese - en daarmee van het oorspronkelijk Duitstalige - boek blijkt niet alleen uit Amadeu's beschouwingen, maar ook uit daadwerkelijk gemaakte keuzes op twee beslissende momenten, of beter: uit zijn analyses van de complexiteit daarvan.
De titel Nachttrein naar Lissabon symboliseert niet alleen de reis terug in de tijd, maar verwijst ook naar een magistrale, visionaire allegorie van het ondermaanse leven in een sleutelpassage aan het eind van het (boek in het) boek.
added by sneuper | editde Volksrant, Gert Jan Dijk (Jun 6, 2006)
 
De absurditeit van Gregorius' onderneming verdwijnt in dit bijzonder helder geschreven boek niet. Een eindoordeel over de persoon Amadeu de Prado blijft uit. Gregorius is naar Lissabon vertrokken en heeft zijn distantie laten varen. “Tevergeefs', mompelt de leraar klassieke talen op een gegeven moment zomaar, over alles en niets, maar niet zonder inzicht.
added by sneuper | editNRC, Merel Leeman (May 5, 2006)
 

» Add other authors (11 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Mercier, Pascalprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harshav, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meijerink, GerdaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pollen, GeirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0802143970, Paperback)

Raimund Gregorius teaches classical languages at a Swiss lycée, and lives a life governed by routine. One day, a chance encounter with a Portuguese woman inspires him to question his life—and leads him to an extraordinary book that will open the possibility of changing it. Inspired by the words of Amadeu de Prado, a doctor whose intelligence and magnetism left a mark on everyone who met him and whose principles led him into a confrontation with Salazar’s dictatorship, Gergorius boards a train to Lisbon. As Gregorius becomes fascinated with unlocking the mystery of who Prado was, an extraordinary tale unfolds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

(see all 2 descriptions)

Former Latin teacher Raimund Gregorius boards the night train to Lisbon, carrying with him a book by Amadeu de Prado, with whose work he becomes obsessed, and journeys all over the city in search of the truth about the author.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 6 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
27 avail.
47 wanted
7 pay15 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.8)
0.5 3
1 21
1.5 2
2 46
2.5 14
3 93
3.5 33
4 194
4.5 43
5 156

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,109,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible