Tu sei il male by Roberto Costantini

Tu sei il male (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Roberto Costantini

Member:Amarillide
Title:Tu sei il male
Authors:Roberto Costantini
Info:Venezia, Marsilio, 2012
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2010s, biblioteca, giallo

Tu sei il male by Roberto Costantini (2011)

English (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
I listened to this book in audiobook so some of the comments on the book maybe related to this. The book is slow to begin with and I credited this to the fact that I did not like the lead character. Having read on I realised that this was part of the plot and you are not really supposed to like the lead character at the beginning. In fact I believe he doesn't like himself. As the book continues more characters are introduced. In my opinion there were too many characters introduced and these were hard to keep up with who was who. Again this may have been due to the fact I was listening rather than reading the book.

There are some huge leaps in time but these are kept nicely together by the dates at the beginning of the chapters which I thought was an excellent idea. The tale twists and turns well although there is the typical quiet mid section of the book. The book has an exciting dramatic end although I have to admit I had guessed who the murderer was all through the book. I think this may be my main problem with the book at no time was there a wow really moment. I will definitely try something else from this author but maybe not in audiobook again. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Aug 6, 2014 |
At the beginning of The Deliverance of Evil, by Roberto Costantini, it is 1982 and Italy is in the World Cup finals; excitement in Rome couldn't be higher as a result. Police Captain Michele Balistreri is no exception, and when a pretty young woman goes missing on the night of the final, he is inclined to be dismissive; she probably just went off with a boyfriend that her parents don't know about, after all. Some days later, however, her body is found and Balistreri begins investigating some powerful people who may be involved. His discoveries are intriguing but not conclusive, and the case lingers, unsettled. Fast forward to 2006: Balistreri is now a police superintendent in charge of crimes involving immigration in Rome, who is called upon to investigate the rape and murder of a young student and the disappearance of a young Roma prostitute. Could they be connected? And how might they relate to the never-solved case from 1982? Balistreri must navigate the convoluted political waters of Roman policing and society to find out the truth.... To be honest, I only read about half of this novel before giving it up. It's not that the story was so difficult or the writing was bad; it was that Balistreri is one of the most unlikable lead characters I've ever run across. In the 1982 section, he's a young man filled with arrogance and testosterone; his attitude and behaviour towards women is deplorable and his political leanings (neo-fascist) even more so. In the 2006 section, he's an antacid and anti-depressant devotee, full of pity for himself and rather abhorrently pathetic. I just really really didn't like him, and I decided that life is too short to waste some of it reading a book whose protagonist I can't stand. As a result, I have no idea how the story ends; you'll have to look it up for yourself if you are interested, and I wish you luck. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jun 22, 2014 |
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher

The Deliverance of Evil is shaggy book: it comes in over 600 pages, deals with multiple murders over a twenty four year period, and touches on government, police, and religious corruption in Rome. It’s an interesting backdrop, but the actual mystery didn’t grab me. The main character Michele Balestreri, is a Libyan-born Italian who was a Fascist in his youth, then infiltrated Fascist groups as part of the secret police before becoming a police officer in a quiet neighborhood in Rome. The book begins in 1982 as he’s part of a shoddy investigation into the murder of a young woman who worked for a Cardinal. He is a thoroughly unlikeable, misogynistic character in the first hundred or so pages of the book. He cleans up his act considerably as he ages, but this book fundamentally has a woman problem: they’re either objects of lust or murder, and not much else. It’s maddening.

There was so much potential in this book, but it felt like it slowed down and meandered too much. I understand part of that is because the investigation starting in 1982 was a mess, but part of it too was Costantini’s focus on personal stories at various points in the book that took away from the focus of this book’s plot. It may very well be a setup for the other books in the trilogy, though. Book two focuses on Michele’s past in Libya, which is only briefly alluded to in the first volume. I’ll be passing on it.

For more positive reviews, see EuroCrime and Thinking about books. Dave’s review expecially made me realize that I’m not a fan of antiheroes in books though I don’t mind them on television shows. I prefer to sympathize with a character, any character, in a book, and I didn’t find that in this book because the main character was so unpleasant.
  rkreish | Feb 21, 2014 |
Occorre luce perché muti una credenza dell’anima, e la luce non può essere data in alcun modo da una pena inflitta al corpo.

J. Locke
a Lorenzo
al popolo della Libia
9 luglio 2006

L’Uomo Invisibile
Se la prima volta le cose fossero andate diversamente, forse non avrei ucciso tutte le altre.

On 11 July 1982, Elisa Sordi was beautiful. Commissario Michele Balistreri was fearless. Italy was victorious. A killer was waiting. On 9 July 2006, with Sordi's case 24 years cold, and Balistreri haunted by guilt and regret, Italian victory returned. And so did Sordi's killer. But this time Michele Balistreri would be ready. This time he would fear no evil.… (more)

5 wanted5 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible