The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison

The Butterfly Clues (edition 2012)

by Kate Ellison

Member:ahsreads
Title:The Butterfly Clues
Authors:Kate Ellison
Info:EgmontUSA (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:mystery, thriller, suspense, young adult, OCD, art, murder, Cleveland, clues, romance

The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison

Not as good as I'd hoped... Story of a girl whose family has disintegrated after her brother's death. Penelope finds her self in the middle of a murder case, and is compelled to find out everything about the murder victim and the murderer. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I'm not sure why; perhaps too much teen angst and psychological drama? This would be a good read for a teen into dark murder mysteries. It did pick up a bit as I got through it but it just wasn't the book for me. ( )
  MegAnastasi | Oct 26, 2015 |
I liked this book quite a bit. The author created a very unique, interesting main character (Penelope). I also liked the character Flynt, although I would like to have learned more about him. The plot manages to create a lot of suspense and some fairly frightening scenarios. The main reason I didn't give this a higher rating is because I was able to predict the outcome of two main plot points. I don't know if that says more about the predictability of the story itself as written by the author, or more about how much suspense/horror I've read throughout my life, lol. Overall I would recommend this book if you enjoy a good mystery. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 12, 2014 |
The Butterfly Clues was a surprisingly entertaining read. With a uniquely tortured yet vibrant main character and an atmospheric setting, the words sucked me into Lo's world. This mystery is a refreshing read for any book lover.

The book starts out with Lo, a obsessive/compulsive girl who is dealing with the loss of her brother, nearly being killed in a dangerous area. She then learns a girl named Sapphire was murdered that very night. After finding Sapphires's butterfly pendant, Lo is determined to find the murderer.

My favorite part of The Butterfly clues is how the author dealt with Lo's obsessive/compulsive disorder. The audience feels Lo's impulse to steal and gets used to rhythms of threes, sixes, and nines. Yet, the author also makes it clear that Lo is something other than her disorder.

The mystery in this book caused my heart to pound. It wasn't too predictable (something I cherished. Who else it tired of the same, reused plots?) and had me guessing at times. I loved how, throughout the book, you get to know Sapphire well, despite her being dead twenty pages in. Now that's good writing folks! Kate Ellison reveals secrets masterfully.

There are definitely family issues in this novel, ever since Lo's brother died (Ellison doesn't reveal why until later in the book. And I won't tell you either, mwahaha) Lo's family has been torn apart. Her dad is distant, and her mother is blank and hazy, a result of pills.

Lo is practically alone. This broke my heart. Then she meets Flynt, the first person to seem to actually care what's happening to her. I liked Flynt, another unique character. I imagine him as our next great painter. Mysterious and fun.

The ending of this book is terrific. I remember one line particularly."Almost seventeen years old, scarred but whole". (This may not be the exact quote, so feel free to correct me.) The dose of hope and realism made the conclusion amazing, and you could see how the terrors the characters faced made them stronger. Everyone was changed.

All in all, I recommend this book to fans of anything written darkly with touches of light. I loved it, and I hope you guys will too.

4/5 bookcases ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Lo, a girl afflicted with OCD and an inexplicable urge to hoard various objects, is mysteriously drawn to the murder case of Sapphire, a girl from the “wrong side of the tracks”, after finding a butterfly pendant belonging to the girl at a flea market. With the help of a cute street artist named Flynt, Lo is determined to solve Sapphire’s murder, even at the risk of her own life. "The Butterfly Clues" is an amazingly thrilling novel that not only grips you with a compelling murder investigation, but also offers insight into the often-misunderstood condition of OCD. I would recommend this novel to anyone who loves a good mystery. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 13, 2014 |

Having experienced compulsive behavior all her life, Lo's symptoms are getting her into trouble when she witnesses a murder while wandering dangerous quarters of Cleveland, Ohio, collecting things that do not belong to her, obsessing about her brother's death.… (more)

Kate Ellison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

26 wanted4 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,901,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible