The spider goddess by Tara Moss

The spider goddess

by Tara Moss

205515,329 (4)1

This is the 2nd book in the Pandora English series and I must say it was wonderful to return to Spector, to Great Aunt Celia, Lt Luke, the fashion industry and of course, Pandora. The writing style is fun and well paced but not superficial. There is depth running underneath the witty dialog and prose and more than a few 'grains of truth.' Tara knows how to write suspense and shiver-creepy scenes that make this a true paranormal read. I loved it!

As with the first book, [b:The Blood Countess|9761911|The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)|Tara Moss|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1314084759s/9761911.jpg|14369284] , TSG is well researched with gems of arachnology, ancient lore and mythology, witchcraft and that 'Madam Blavatsky' feel (I suppose Great Aunt Celia would have known her!) I particularly like how distinct and fresh feeling each character is (even the undead ones). No cliched writing here! Thank you! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
THE SPIDER GODDESS picks up two months after the end of ‘The Blood Countess’ ends. Pandora has settled in with her great-aunt in a creepy mansion in the fog shrouded New York suburb of Spektor. Spektor doesn’t appear on any map and no-one has heard of it. Pandora and her aunt do not live alone in the mansion, there are some creepy guests, some of whom would love to feed off Pandora and have no reason to like her and every reason to fear Pandora’s growing powers. Pandora has found out that she is the inheritor of a great family ability; she is the seventh, which means she has a power that only comes along in the family once in 150 years. And with the title comes a frightening responsibility which Pandora finally starts to understand as THE SPIDER GODDESS progresses. The plot is fun and easy to read, with some deliciously creepy, spider ridden, scenes. If you suffer at all from arachnophobia, take note, but don’t worry a fiction spider can’t hurt you! Tara Moss manages to slip in some of the history of New York that many people aren’t aware of including a hanging tree and the victims of a shirt factory fire. Yes both are true I googled them. Now I have to wait until the third booking the series is released later this year. ( )
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Pandora English series. It continues from the previous book and clearly the books in this series are all part of the same story and should therefore be read in order for it all to make sense. That said, I enjoyed this read.

Pandora continues to learn the truth about herself and that unfortunately she has new and more evil foes than the average new arrival in New York city.

I look forward to the next in the series, The Skeleton Key. ( )
  Balthazar-Lawson | Mar 29, 2013 |
There are plenty of eight-legged beasties running around in this novel that follows Pandora on another adventure in exciting New York. Pandora is trying to live a normal-ish life after discovering the plethora of supernatural forces that surround her, but she’s finding it hard because designers keep going missing!

I feel like there was a lot going on the novel: Pandora’s powers and the continuing eccentricity of her great-aunt, her rivalry with Athanasia and the resulting attacks on her life by vampires, someone stealing fashion items from Pandora’s work place and the mysterious disappearances of leading designers. This meant that every time I thought I knew what was going on, I was led in a different direction, but I ultimately like this because it kept me guessing. The plot is well paced and always engaging, and I love the balance of the supernatural and fashion worlds with Pandora’s own growth.

The Spider Goddess is a light, fun read, and I liked the hints of romance it has between Pandora and the ghostly Luke. He goes through some development in the book, which I liked. I think that while it is important that the series has such great female characters, but I have been disappointed that the only male characters the book features are either love interests or cameos. I hope Luke has an expanded role in future books I also really want to know more about Celia – this book has some interesting reveals but I think there is a lot more to learn about her.

I really liked this sequel, and it seems that there are many more Pandora English books to come in the future, so I’m quite excited. I think these are the perfect books for someone looking for a break from other, weightier books, and am interested in reading Tara Moss’ Makedde Vanderwall series (about non-supernatural crimes in the fashion world) some time.

You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Jan 8, 2013 |
The Spider Goddess is the second book in Tara Moss’s Pandora English series. It is a fun, quick read in a very similar vein to The Blood Countess. Pandora English is a supernaturally gifted assistant at a New York magazine who is only starting to discover and develop her powers. She lives with her preternaturally youthful great aunt in a supernaturally resonant (or something like that) mansion apartment in a mysteriously enshrouded suburb of Manhattan.

Once again, we meet Luke, her hansom civil-war soldier ghost friend and watch her run-ins with some of the evil (but cheerful) vampire supermodels from the first book.

The main way in which this book differs from the first are: the different villain (a spider goddess, as the cover suggests), and the overarching plot progression. The background plot moves slowly, which suggests to me that Moss plans on writing many more Pandora English books before she’s done. I have absolutely no objection to this and look forward to reading them all.

The foreground plot, however, moves quickly from strange happenings in the background to creepy (-crawly) discoveries and then the climax. If anything, I felt the book was too short. I had stopped paying attention to the page numbers down the bottom when I reached the climax and thought I had more to go. It made me wonder why the bad guy villain was dying already, until I realised I was actually close to the end. So, really, the worst criticism I have is that I didn’t want it to end.

A nice thing about this series is that it is heavily populated with a broad range of mostly strong female characters. From the main character, to her great-aunt/mentor to the villains and her bosses at work. It’s nice to see. (Half or so of the male characters are love interests, I think.)

Overall, it was just as fun as the first book, although I think I enjoyed the first book slightly more for non-specific reasons of taste. Also, if you’re uncomfortable reading about hordes of spiders, this may not be the book for you.

Finally, although part of a series, I think this book stands alone fairly well. However, it does contain a few spoilers for the first book. Reading in order would maximise enjoyment of the earlier book, but reading out of order wouldn’t compromise enjoyment of this book, in my opinion.

4 / 5 stars ( )
  Tsana | Feb 2, 2012 |

It's been two months since Pandora English left her small hometown to live with her mysterious great-aunt in a haunted mansion in Spektor - the fog-wreathed suburb of Manhattan that doesn't appear on any map.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible