Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted

by Alethea Kontis

Series: The Woodcutters (book 1)

I'd have to start by saying that I really enjoy fairytales and fairytale retellings even more. Originally I thought that Enchanted was a retelling of the Princess and the Frog, but it is really so much more then this. It brought in a number of classic fairy tales from Princess and the Frog to Cinderella to Jack and the Beanstalk and more! — but it's much more than simply re-telling these tales. Alethea Kontis has blended them perfectly into an original and surprisingly complex story, adding in an interesting cast of characters including the entire Woodcutter family that had me hooked from the start. I loved Sunday Woodcutter! She's sweet, caring, determined and clever and both she and Rumbold (her frog prince) warmed my heart repeatedly. There was certainly a spark from the moment Sunday meets the frog in the woods but the author managed to pull it off perfectly without making it feel like overwhelming devotion!
Enchanted is beautifully rendered and certainly everything you'd want in a fairy tale. Alethea Kontis, like Sunday, is a masterful storyteller, and you should definitely be prepared to smile, and often, through out the book.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | May 15, 2016 |
I had high hopes for this book but I was disappointed. It isn't terrible but it isn't great either. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 10, 2016 |
Loved the way other fairytales were woven into the story. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
Even though I could not finish this story (I read about a third of it), I feel that it was more of a personal thing, rather than the book itself. (Which is why I'm refraining from rating it as well, as I don't think it necessarily deserves the low number I'd give it). Enchanted delves more into the fantasy genre than I've ever been, but as I have been trying to expand my reading horizons, I thought I'd give it a try. However, there was just too much going on. As this is a retelling of sorts, I expected there to be references to well known fairy tales, but this book is inundated with them. From the 1/3 I read there were references (albeit some vague) to Robin Hood, Snow White, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rumpelstiltskin to name a few. Plus, the plot of the story seems loosely based off of The Princess and the Frog. There were also fey (I'm not quite sure what those are to be honest) and fairy godmothers. I stopped reading when I got to the part about all the magical or special powers Sunday's family apparently has. I felt there were too many subplots within the story to really hold my attention. My mind kept wandering. As I said, it was all just too much.
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I read this a few years back and I was enchanted. The author creates an amazing mash-up of quite a few fairy tales. Cursed frog prince, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc, etc with seven sisters named after the days of the week. The mother herself is one of seven sisters originally named from One to Seven. All have special, fairy powers or gifts. I am happy to find the author has published another novel in a series of the Woodcutter Sisters. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Alethea Kontisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.
For my father, who first read the fairy tales to me, for my mother, who told me to write a new one, and for my little sister, who was--and always will be--ungrateful.  May we all be doomed to a happy life.
My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life.
"There are four things that make a man fight as you just did," the duke explained to Rumbold.  "Love, despair, anger, or insanity."
Erik counted them off on his fingers.  "Everything to lose, nothing to lose, someone's taken it, or you've lost it."

It isn’t easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past—and hers?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

When Sunday Woodcutter, the youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week, kisses an enchanted frog, he transforms back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland--a man Sunday's family despises.

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

126 wanted1 pay10 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,799,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible