Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted

by Alethea Kontis

Series: The Woodcutters (book 1)

I have read a lot of books based on fairy tales, and a good handful that tries to combine fairy tales, but none have completely hit the mark as well as Kontis. Enchanted is a fun and adorable read for any fairy tale lover, young or old. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Sep 10, 2014 |
This was a really fun mash up of so many fairy tales I couldn't even keep track. A great suggestion for those who loved JDG's Princess series. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Fun series! Takes a lot of fairy tales and wraps them all together in an entertaining read. The Frog Prince, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, etc..... The Woodcutter family is wonderful and each interesting in their own right. I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 22, 2014 |
*I downloaded this title from Audiobook Sync during their summer program*

Sunday Woodcutter lives in a unique family that is involved with a lot of magical nonsense. Her aunts are fairy godmothers (though, one of them is not quite good), her sisters each have a special talent or gift, and her adopted brother is part fae. So, it's not quite a surprise when she meets a human-turned-frog and develops a friendship with him. Eventually, they end up falling in love and she kisses him, not realizing that he'd turn human and that her dear friend Grumble is, in fact, Prince Rumbold. The man who the family blames for the death of Sunday's older brother -- talk about a tense situation.

However, the two eventually come together to face the evil of Rumbold's seemingly ageless father and his lover, Sunday's evil fairy-godmother-aunt. They find out that not everything is as it seems in Arilland, and some events have been grossly misrepresented. In order to set things right, Sunday, her family, Rumbold, and his loyal friends come together to find out the truth about what's been going on in the kingdom for so long.

I'm a sucker for fairy tales -- even more so when they're re-imagined and put together in a new way. (Just ask about my Once Upon a Time addiction.) For a fairy-tale lover like me, Enchanted is the perfect book to escape to for a little while.

The first thing I noticed was that Kontis weaved some folk superstition into the fairy tale format. For example, Sunday is a seventh child of a seventh child, and that means she has a bit of extra magic in her. Though most of her family is magical, there are frequent mentions of Sunday's special magical abilities, though I'm not sure that those really played a huge part in the story. I'm hoping it'll be developed further in sequels. But I really liked this amalgamation of superstition from our world into this fairy tale world Kontis created -- for me, it made the story unique and interesting.

Generally, I enjoyed the progression of this story. There are quite a few twists and turns throughout the plot, and the characters are lovely. While Sunday and Rumbold are interesting in and of themselves, I loved the minor characters and hope that we get to learn more about them. (Or maybe some of them can get their own books! I vote for Sunday's sister, Thursday!)

Near the end of the middle, I scrounged for excuses to keep on listening. Everything came together so nicely, and I just needed to know what was going to happen next. I mean, what was Sunday's fairy godmother playing at? And would they save Sunday's sister from the king? And what about Sunday and Rumbold? Would they love each other again? A lot of questions, because there was a lot of drama going on. However, while I like having resolutions, the ending seemed a bit too rushed and tidy. A few things were left open to continue the series, but some things that the characters were making a huge deal about abruptly resolved themselves in an instant. Yes, this is a fairy tale retelling and those sorts of things happen in fairy tales, but I wanted a bit more build-up before getting that full resolution.

As for the format, Kellgren is one of the best narrators I've ever heard. She is incredibly expressive with her voice, and I think that I would have enjoyed this story far less if I had read it in print. There were quite a few times where she said a line with a bit of irony and sarcasm that I don't think I would have caught or put into the words if I'd been reading it myself. As a result, I thought this to be a fairly funny story, and I laughed out loud quite a bit. If you have an option to listen to the audio -- do so. It is excellent.

Overall, I would say this is good for light, fun reading. It's full of drama, fairy tale references, and has quite a bit of humor. I am looking forward to reading the sequel. Or, better yet, listening to it as an audiobook. I hope they've got Katherine Kellgren again! ( )
  sedelia | Apr 14, 2014 |
Enchanted encompasses so many fairy tales, but not in the traditional sense. This was a fun read, and not at all predictable which is great in a retelling.
I am beyond excited that there are more books in this series especially since Saturday gets her own story in the next one.

I recommend this for fans of fairy tales and their retellings. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 15, 2014 |

Alethea Kontisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.
For my father, who first read the fairy tales to me, for my mother, who told me to write a new one, and for my little sister, who was--and always will be--ungrateful.  May we all be doomed to a happy life.
My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life.
"There are four things that make a man fight as you just did," the duke explained to Rumbold.  "Love, despair, anger, or insanity."
Erik counted them off on his fingers.  "Everything to lose, nothing to lose, someone's taken it, or you've lost it."

It isn’t easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past—and hers?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:45 -0400)

When Sunday Woodcutter, the youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week, kisses an enchanted frog, he transforms back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland--a man Sunday's family despises.

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

86 wanted1 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible