Enchanted (The Woodcutter Sisters) by…

Enchanted (The Woodcutter Sisters)

by Alethea Kontis

Series: Woodcutter Sisters (1), Books of Arilland (1)

Despite the cover (I really didn't rate the cover at all: apart from finding the model quite annoying - which is a pity because I really warmed to the character - the dress was completely wrong from the story and it all looked posed and stiff) this was a thoroughly enjoyable read incorporating many sly references to fairy tales in the plot. These worked within the plot very well and there were patches of lovely writing, but because it wasn't consistent these sometimes stuck out uneasily, that is sometimes the book was about just plain good storytelling and sometimes it was about lyrical prose. Also, I am starting to grow weary of worldly-wise punning on the part of characters in fairy tales. This was refreshing in the first book that I read using this tone but is starting to wear thin. All in all, however, a very good example of its genre and definitely worth reading. I am looking forward to the next in the series (and not only because it is about Saturday!) ( )
  Deborahrs | Apr 15, 2017 |
Sunday is the youngest of seven daughters (plus a few boys) of the woodcutter Jack and his wife, Seven. They live outside a Wood where she goes to write in her journal - very carefully, as she has discovered that anything she writes becomes true. Then she meets an enchanted human named Grumble - the only problem is, he's a frog.

Enchanted takes a bunch of fairy tale references and tells a fun story of a family of part-fae who can work magic, each in their own way. Identifying the different stories that were being referenced was fun, but there's almost so many that it was distracting. As for the actual story of Sunday and Grumble/Rumbold, I wanted a little more there and though it was fast reading and a decent-sized book at just over 300 pages, I would have liked a little more complexity and world-building rather than a mish-mash of fairy tales. Light, fun reading, and while I'll try the next book in the series it wasn't hugely memorable. Good for fans of Once Upon a Marigold. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A talking frog Sunday meets in a clearing suddenly goes missing after she kisses it one night. Suddenly, three Palace balls pop up. She goes only to meet the prince that her family has hated ever since he turned her brother into a hunting dog. Sunday falls in love with the dashingly familiar prince. When he finally tells her that he is the frog that she did indeed meet in the clearing she gets married.
I liked that book because it is exciting and adventurous. ( )
  kertistan | Nov 21, 2016 |
Not a horrible book, not an amazing book. Decent fairy tale retellings. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I love fairy tales! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

Alethea Kontisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.
For my father, who first read the fairy tales to me, for my mother, who told me to write a new one, and for my little sister, who was--and always will be--ungrateful.  May we all be doomed to a happy life.
My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life.
"There are four things that make a man fight as you just did," the duke explained to Rumbold.  "Love, despair, anger, or insanity."
Erik counted them off on his fingers.  "Everything to lose, nothing to lose, someone's taken it, or you've lost it."

It isn’t easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past—and hers?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

When Sunday Woodcutter, the youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week, kisses an enchanted frog, he transforms back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland--a man Sunday's family despises.

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

100 wanted1 pay11 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible