Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted

by Alethea Kontis

Series: The Woodcutters (book 1)

A mash-up of multiple fairy-tale retellings (and nursery rhymes) that read and feel like their own special fairy tale.

Enchanted was, well, enchanting; I slipped smoothly into its world, believed its magic and history right away, and I could even tell all the characters apart, which is saying something since there was like 10 different people introduced within the first three pages alone. It did get a bit angsty and melodramatic between chapters 16-18, but by then I was so "all in" I easily overlooked what would usually irk me.

While the overall tone and feel of this fairy tale was more cozy and optimistic than I normally prefer my fairy tales (I like 'em dark and heavy and even a little (or a lot) scary), I was still quite smitten and I would recommend Enchanted without hesitation to anyone who adores fairy-tale retellings centered around "[t]he Frog Prince and the Barefoot Princess (302)."

You can bet I'll be reading Hero in the near future.

4.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 24, 2015 |
There were moments in the book that intrigued me, but it seemed to drag on a bit. I ended up skimming the last quarter of the book just to finish it. I wanted to really like it, but I just couldn't. It does intrigue me enough that I want to read the second book, to read about Saturday's story. We will see if I like that any better. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |

If you are in need of an easy, simple story that has few twists and turns, then this is the book for you. If you hate fairy tales, magic, fun, and basically anything good and sweet in life, then maybe not so much. Enchanted is a sweet story about Sunday Woodcutter, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, which means she has some inherited magic and a whole lot of expectations to live up to.

However, she doesn’t want to be what her name day has doomed her to be, in her own words “Blithe and bonny and good and gay? Who could ever live up to that? It’s not in any way realistic. I don’t want to be happy and good and dull. I want to be interesting.” The simple life is not for Sunday, she craves adventure, romance, and magic; all of which she finds in a frog by the well in the woods who is not entirely who he appears to be.

Kontis did a great job with re-imagining the fairy tales in this book. One of which I was surprised to see redone was The Old Lady in the Shoe and the way she handled it and brought it new life was just brilliant. The other tales, Cinderella, Jack and the beanstalk, and Princess and the Frog, to name a few, were also nicely redone with hints and twists you wouldn’t immediately suspect. Overall, it really felt as if this was the story before all of the other stories, and it was the other tales that were changed over time.

The style flows well with traditional fairy tales, and makes the book seem familiar even if you have never picked it up before. Kontis’ ability to layout a scene is wonderful, and is easy to create a picture from. Each of her characters are fleshed out enough to where you can get a real sense of who they are, and what their motives are without searching for hidden details. I would happily pick up the next book in the Woodcutter Sisters series due to how she writes. After reading this book, it seemed as if there was just a bit more magic in the world.

Final Thoughts:
This really is a nice, sweet book to cozy up with on a lazy afternoon. The story is simple, but not without its twists and turns, none of which are overly distressing or cause the book to lose any charm. I enjoyed it for what it is, a retelling of fairy tales. It does come with a nice moral reminder of not everything being as it seems, and you should listen to others before pushing them off and dismissing everything they say. For that person probably has some story you should hear. ( )
  Rebecca_Hail | Jan 27, 2015 |
Very good audiobook! I loved all the nods to different fairytales, and the unexpected depth and complexity that popped up in unexpected places. I especially love Sunday's sprawling, magical family, and their love for one another.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I have read a lot of books based on fairy tales, and a good handful that tries to combine fairy tales, but none have completely hit the mark as well as Kontis. Enchanted is a fun and adorable read for any fairy tale lover, young or old. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Sep 10, 2014 |

Alethea Kontisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.
For my father, who first read the fairy tales to me, for my mother, who told me to write a new one, and for my little sister, who was--and always will be--ungrateful.  May we all be doomed to a happy life.
My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life.
"There are four things that make a man fight as you just did," the duke explained to Rumbold.  "Love, despair, anger, or insanity."
Erik counted them off on his fingers.  "Everything to lose, nothing to lose, someone's taken it, or you've lost it."

It isn’t easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past—and hers?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

When Sunday Woodcutter, the youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week, kisses an enchanted frog, he transforms back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland--a man Sunday's family despises.

Alethea Kontis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

139 wanted1 pay10 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,941,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible