Stormswept by Helen Dunmore

Stormswept (2012)

by Helen Dunmore

The front cover of "Stormswept" is enough to make anyone want to pick this book up and read it - it is extremely eye-catching. Having read the original "Ingo" series, I was eager to get my hands on this. I love Dunmore's writing, it is lyrical and has an almost dream-like quality to it, and the world of the mer people she creates is incredibly believable. However, I found this book slightly lacking. I felt it was aimed at a slightly younger audience than the "Ingo" series and it took two hundred pages before the real action began and then it only crested for a relatively few pages before waning. I liked the relationship between the twins, Morveren (not keen on the name) and Jenna, but Malin, the mer boy, never really interested me. Despite all this, it was enjoyable being back in the magical world of Ingo, just a bit more excitement would have made it so much better.
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

FANTASY & MAGICAL REALISM. Morveren lives with her parents and twin sister Jenna on an island off the coast of Cornwall - an island that in the long distant past was devastated by a tidal wave, its halls and people lost. Only some of those taken by the sea may not have been lost at all. Now, as Morveren and Jenna's relationship shifts and changes, like driftwood on the tide, Morveren finds a beautiful teenage boy in a rock pool after a storm. Going to his rescue, she is shocked to see that he is not human but a Mer boy. With Jenna refusing to face the truth, Morveren finds herself alone at the worst possible time. Because when the worlds of Air and Mer meet, the consequences can be terrible.Ages 10+.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,166,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible