This Brilliant Darkness by Red Tash

This Brilliant Darkness

by Red Tash

There are some pieces of abstract art I like but it is something I shy away from. Thus so is this book.
I am sorry, but I honestly tried to make sense of it and persevere when I just wanted to "toss it in".
I cannot honestly tell you what its purpose was. I couldn't really grasp a plot of any kind. I am not sure
if it was time travel, fantasy or just the musings from a bad drug"trip".
I used to listen to friends discuss some of their weird experiences when using drugs. I never could
understand why someone using drugs would choose that type of a drug. (Of course I never understood
dragging oneself down to use drugs in the first place.)
Her wording skills were good but they were like many short story thoughts into one book that never really
was brought into a solid substance or conclusion.. It was all very depressing and confusing.
I truly am sorry. This book was sent with the request for an honest review. Sadly,this is my honest review. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Jul 1, 2013 |
Unlike Red Tash's other book "Troller Derby" I could not get into "This Brilliant Darkness" I did read it all the way through but I found myself constantly lost between what was happening real-time versus what was happening in the characters minds and I'm not even sure if there was a real-time versus mind-frame aspect to the story. The plot jumps from character to character which is not a bad thing but it did so, so much to the point that I constantly lost my place and was unsure of just where the story was going or what it was about.

At first I thought it was about a demon that was stalking one of the main characters and then when you get the chance to see into the demon's mind or creature's mind, it almost seems as though it's an alien of some kind. The fact that the entire story seems to revolve around this star phenomenon makes you want to lean more toward the alien idea but it's still very hard to understand.

The story has great potential and the writer shows good command of her craft but I just think the book was too diverse and jumped too much all over the place for me to get completely involved, thus my rating of 3 stars. ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Jan 18, 2013 |
This book was a little confusing at first with the author using so many viewpoints one right after the other. There was a warning at the beginning of the book which I’m glad for because I think I would’ve gotten lost if I wasn’t expecting it. Once the story gets going it was much easier to distinguish between the numerous characters.
I generally liked the book and thought the characters were well planned and defined in the writing. The only issue I have is the lack of back story on Greachin and the Star. I’m hoping that there is a follow up book to help explain all that. Otherwise I love the characters in all their wackiness and hope to hear more from the author. ( )
  demonite93 | Sep 17, 2012 |
Description:

Bloomington Indiana. Home to a couple thousand college students - and to the Greachin, a dark creature bent on stalking and destroying university professor, Christine Grace.
Christine isn't herself. Her mind wanders, she suffers from hallucinations and blackouts, strange messages and thoughts plague her, and she has an eerie suspicion that someone - or something - is watching her. Her boyfriend, Tom, and coworker, Richard are stumped, but her strange attitude paired with the appearance of a constantly shining star over the town lead the three to believe there has to be more to the seemingly unconnected events; especially when they all become targets of the Greachin's unholy power. Can they find their connection to the beast before it succeeds in destroying all that they care about? Are there others willing to fight? Or was their fate sealed centuries before they were born?

Review:

I was really excited when I first picked up this book because the author, Red Tash, compared it to Stephen King's The Stand, one of my favorites. I have always been a fan of multi-viewpoint novels, so that aspect didn't scare me away, but the "dark urban fantasy" tag left me uneasy. I have read too many books in the fantasy genre that didn't live up to my expectations, so I wasn't sure what to expect from This Brilliant Darkness. I am glad that I didn't let that deter my attentions, because this book is fantastically well-written, fast-paced, detailed, and full of sinuously dark curves. I was thoroughly drawn to the characters, including the Greachin, unwilling to put down the book for fear that I would destroy the building tension. Each cleverly-titled chapter led me deeper and deeper into Christine's new reality. The character development was top notch, enabling me to sympathize with the characters; and their relationships/personalities were strikingly realistic. I enjoyed reading about Christine's relationship with Tom, Richard, and Tristan from each of their perspectives. Red Tash has a way of making her characters stand out when it's their turn to speak; the viewpoint changes were not choppy, and I did not find the change-overs at all confusing. In the like, the dialogue was smart, modern, and engaging, with a good overall flow. I would not change anything about it, except the ending - I wish there was more to it, but maybe there's more to come? I hope so. Recommended to college-age adults and older who relish a great fantasy/horror novel that will leave them craving more.

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

* I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Apr 29, 2012 |
This is a difficult review for me to write because I think that this was a good book, but I didn't really like it. The story was interesting and something different, and the writing was good, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I liked that the story moved along quickly and that the chapters were short. That kept me reading and made it easy to pick up and read when I had a few minutes here and there. I didn't really care for the changing points of view, but that's common in books and just a personal preference of mine. I think that the changing points of view combined with the short chapters made it hard to really connect with any of the characters, but not enough to cause a major problem. Also, I both liked and disliked how I was never really sure what was happening or where the story was going. I felt as confused and off-balance as Christine did as all the weird things were happening, So basically, I think this book is worth a read and I think that others will enjoy and appreciate it more than I did. ( )
  KatDJZ | Dec 19, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Red Tash's book This Brilliant Darkness was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Red Tash is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible