Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

Sacre Bleu (edition 2012)

by Christopher Moore, Euan Morton (Reader)

Member:G_Riv
Title:Sacre Bleu
Authors:Christopher Moore
Other authors:Euan Morton (Reader)
Info:HarperAudio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:book club, speculative

Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

English (67)  German (1)  All languages (68)
Ruth Marie Wolf
  KindredSpirits | Jul 10, 2014 |
Creative, entertaining romp. Vivid and very amusing. ( )
  77nanci | Jun 21, 2014 |
This was not my favorite Moore book. Seemed way too long and slow paced. Finally towards the end things picked up. Took me forever to read, where I normally plow through his books in a day or two. Not making me anxious to start Serpent of Venice. ( )
  cskaryd | May 12, 2014 |
Those that are enthusiasts of art may know how important the color blue was to so many different movements, both in general and for individual artists. Moore takes this idea and adds his usual amazing combination of reverence and hilarity. But the book is not merely a collection of stories about art, but takes on the air of a murder mystery around the death of Van Gogh. There is the suspicious Colorman, known by no other name. The artists that use his blue will frequently forget large stretches of time and end up with paintings they could never remember actually painting. As the story goes on the plot becomes more and more complex as we find more and more artists succumbing to the effect of the Colorman.

While the writing is solid and the research impeccable, the feature that makes this novel simply amazing is Moore’s inclusion of the very art that he discusses. Each chapter is peppered with reproductions of people and scenes mentioned. For example, when Toulouse-Lautrec mentions the redheaded washerwoman he became obsessed with, we see the very painting a page later. This could have seemed gimmicky in other circumstances, but with how rich the descriptions are in Bleu, the images of these masterpieces lend an extra dimension to the story.

Even if you are not a fan of art and just prefer a well told story, this is an excellent read. For those that cringe when writers take liberties with facts, hopefully the humor and excellent writing will sway you. And of course those that enjoy art, humor or any of Moore’s books will find this an enjoyable read. In all, I would definitely recommend this book to most everyone. ( )
  vested_Librarian | Feb 15, 2014 |
Years back, I made the mistake of reading three or four of Christopher Moore's very funny novels, one right after another, and I suffered an overdose. What in a smaller dose (say, one book) had been mainline funny, became old and almost simple minded. I move away from his books. Then, my good friend Keith told me how much he liked Sacre Bleu. With that planted in my mind, I came across a hardcover copy on a local bookstore's sale table. I didn't have the money then, and when I returned, it was gone. He who hesitates is .... A couple of weeks ago, it magically reappeared on another sale table and I grabbed it. Not only is the physical book pretty special, but I loved the story. The book has numerous prints of the fine art mentioned throughout the novel, but (I've got my book nerd hat strapped firmly on here) the text is in a very pleasing dark blue/purple, and the page numbers and chapter titles are in a soothing light blue, oh, and there's an attractive foil-like wrap around the book, and a great illustration that covers the entire front of the book, The plot starts with the murder of Van Gogh (yes, that's murder) and then takes the reader on a wonderful journey through the world of Van Gogh's contemporaries, in a most enjoyable and learned way. Part art education, part inventive fictional romp, and always a very funny trip, I am sold on this book. AND, there's a great guide with more information and many more images of all sorts on his website, at. http://guide.sacrebleu.info/ ( )
  jphamilton | Jan 23, 2014 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.… (more)

564 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible