Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

Sacre Bleu (edition 2012)

by Christopher Moore, Euan Morton (Reader)

Member:bookczuk
Title:Sacre Bleu
Authors:Christopher Moore
Other authors:Euan Morton (Reader)
Info:HarperAudio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

English (72)  German (1)  All languages (73)
Rare sono le soddisfazioni superiori a quelle di leggere un romanzo di M. quando e' in forma, giocoso e intelligente. Poi, quando il romanzo migliora una pagina dopo l'altra non ci sono scuse: va preso e bevuto. Una Parigi spettacolare, un Toulouse-Lautrec spassoso e divertente, ipotesi splendide. Un unico suggerimento: le note del traduttore andrebbero secondo me lette per prime e non per ultime. Sempre sia lodata la divertenza (sic) di Moore. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
5 stars if I liked the ending more. I've always enjoyed Moore's stuff, it was light, zany humor with over the top ridiculous characters and situations. This was different. This was brilliant. It was REALLY funny but not constantly silly. There was more of a story here and better plot than the other novels. It showed a maturing author who has aged toward perfection.

I definitely suggest it on audio, the narrator was excellent. All those French names sounded exotic and set a tone that brought me back to the Renaissance (or at least the way I envision the renaissance was since as far as I know I was never actually there).

I'm very interested to see if he keeps up the same standard of excellence in the next book. ( )
  ragwaine | Sep 28, 2014 |
I have been a raving fan of Christopher Moore's for many years. And it all started with Island of the Sequined Love Nun. It is probably good that it all started that way because, had I started with some of his vampire novels (I use the term in spite of the fact that, today, it carries a much more degrading sensibility than I mean it to carry, but it is the best description I can come up with for that particular body of his work), there is a good chance I might not have dug into the remainder of his catalog with such relish.

And so, while I always look forward to a new Moore novel, I look forward to it even more if it is one of his offbeat takes on life beyond the vampire world. To put it in perspective, I think Lamb is one of the finest novels written. None of which is meant to diminish Fool or The Stupidest Angel. Have I driven it home enough that I find Moore highly entertaining?

All of this build up is meant to show how great my let down with the novel Sacre Bleu.

It is not that this isn't an interesting novel. Nor is it a badly written novel. The fault, dear Brutus, lies in the fact that it doesn't quite live up to the best of Moore. (That may be unfair, but such is life, liberty, and the pursuit of a decent novel.)

The premise is as strange as any Moore has tackled. It is 1890 and we are being told the interwoven stories of such great artists as Van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec, Renoir, Manet, Gaugin, etc. (some of whom have a greater role on the stage than others – see Toulouse-Lautrec.) The binding point of the story is a young lady and The Colorman who provide the "sacred blue", a color that makes for some of the greatest art ever seen (or not seen – it makes sense in the context of the plot). The effects of that color, as well as the way it is delivered, are strange and unusual.

Strange and unusual is an understatement because we are talking about Christopher Moore here. As he always does, he brings a bizarre sense to real events with a verisimilitude that makes you think that maybe...just maybe...it might all be true. The characters are as strange and believable as any of Moore's. The sense of place is as perfect as any of Moore's. The tale is revealed as skillfully as any of Moore's. And the story itself is as different as any of Moore's.

So where does it all fall down?

After reading through a few chapters, I told my wife (who is also a big fan and the one who always gets to read the new books first), "It is okay; it just isn't as riotous as I expect."

Not a great description or explanation. And this is not to say that I expect slapstick or its ilk to be present in a Moore novel. But, even in Moore's more subdued pieces, there is still a since of the madcap – the idea that anything can and is happening. And I do not believe there has been a book where I did not find myself laughing out loud numerous times. Not that the content of the books is knee-slappingly funny; rather, I am so entertained by what I am reading that I laugh out loud.

That is not what Sacre Bleu does. It is mildly amusing, and still a good and engrossing tale. But there was something intangible – something Moore-esque – that I found to be missing.

If you are already a fan of Moore's, don't avoid this one. It is good. But it is not the one I would thrust into the hands of someone who has not been to the land already. There are better ones upon which to cut one's teeth. ( )
  figre | Sep 3, 2014 |
Rounding up from 3 1/2 stars to 4 because of the work it must have taken to convince production to print all the text in blue. ( )
  lexmccall | Sep 3, 2014 |
That's it. I'm done. I like some of Moore's earlier stuff, but now it's just mindless unfunny crap. No mas. You're fired. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.… (more)

564 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible