Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

Sacre Bleu (edition 2012)

by Christopher Moore, Euan Morton (Reader)

Member:bookczuk
Title:Sacre Bleu
Authors:Christopher Moore
Other authors:Euan Morton (Reader)
Info:HarperAudio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

English (85)  German (1)  All languages (86)
Well, I enjoyed this a lot. The only other Christopher Moore book I've ever "read" was Fluke and like this one I listened to it on CD. (In fact I chose Fluke because it was read by Bill Irwin.) Apparently this isn't "typical" of Moore's work based on other reviews I see here at Goodreads, but to me it was a lot better than Fluke, which I liked but didn't love. I've had a lot of trouble with novels recently that have required me to suspend disbelief, but I had no problem with this one. I also now want to go out and read everything I can about the artists touched on in this book and go to New York to see some of their paintings again :-) ( )
0 Stars

I'm only 1/4 of the way through and Oh My, is this ever a painful read..... So far, there is Not-a-Single-Thing funny about this book...... It is tragic and liberally laced with melancholia.

I'll rate this if I can finish slogging through it.....

What I do like is the art work & history of the French Impressionists.... I'm able to "google" much of the information and catch up on some of the art history that I have forgotten.

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh! I can not go on, this plodding boredom is killing me........ pp 117!
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Christopher Moore must have a very interesting mind. He comes up with the most amazing ideas for novels. They are always farfetched and involved but great fun to read (except for his vampire novels; even Christopher Moore can't get me to enjoy vampires). This book is true to form.

Set in Paris during the late 1800s, Moore speculates about the inspiration to paint for a stellar group of artists including Vincent Van Gogh, Camille Pissarro, Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Monet, Manet, Seurat, Whistler, Turner and many more. In this book, a young and beautiful woman (but not the same woman) was responsible for inspiring some of the greatest works these artists did. The woman most often was a model and she was associated with a gnarled older man who supplied paints for the artists. This man, called simply The Colorman, was especially known for his ultramarine blue which was the colour the Catholic Church dictated the cloak of the Virgin Mary must be. The colour or perhaps the girl or perhaps the two together seemed to cause rational men to become dissolute and obsessed and men who had a less sure grip on reality became insane. A young baker who aspired to be a painter, Lucien Lessard, was determined to solve the mystery together with Toulouse-Lautrec. They both have had brushes with The Colorman and each has painted stunning works with his ultramarine blue. Their models, different women, were also their lovers and they were besotted to the point of losing time while with them.

As one example of Moore's wit I present this dialogue which took place between Lucien and Henri as they prepare to enter the catacombs following The Colorman:

"Toulouse-Lautrec unfolded the map until he had revealed the seventh level below the city, then looked to Lucien. 'It follows the streets as if on the surface.'
'Yes, but with fewer cafes, more corpses, and it's dark, of course.'
'Oh, wll then, we'll just pretend we're visiting London.' "

I recommend this book which should entertain you and also educate. The hardback I read also had copies of pictures painted by the various artists throughout the book which certainly added to the reading experience. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 11, 2015 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.… (more)

356 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,069,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible