Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

Sacre Bleu (edition 2012)

by Christopher Moore, Euan Morton (Reader)

Member:revslick
Title:Sacre Bleu
Authors:Christopher Moore
Other authors:Euan Morton (Reader)
Info:HarperAudio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:**
Tags:2012 read

Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

English (91)  German (1)  All languages (92)
I fell in love with this book from the start. Moore's "Prelude in Blue" caught my heart and all but guaranteed I'd be a fan. So far, I was right.

ETA: This book was fabulous. I don't need to give you the whole synopsis, just know this was beautifully written and masterfully crafted.

I may be swayed by my inherent love of blue, my fascination with art, or even my adoration of Christopher's writing, but this book was solidly brilliant. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Immersion into the world of the French Impressionists with Christopher Moore's trademark wackiness and heart. much respect for all the research he did and how he was true to the historical figures he used. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
FINALLY a book to bring me out of my drought!

It was funny, a little twisted at times, and it FLOWED! God, did it flow! The characters, or rather the long dead artists, come to life and everything just... works. I don't really know how else to describe it.

Prior to reading this, I really had no interest in any of the art movements, let alone the Impressionists. I'm not even sure I could name more than a handful. I still don't, but considering they are the main characters in this, that should tell you a lot. They become very real and relatable. Additionally, Moore creates a wonderful villain and an anti-hero that you have an interesting love-hate relationship with.

It really is a beautiful combination of art and literature. There are even pictures! I know I sound like a child with that line, but who doesn't love pictures, especially when they're paintings that have no real context for you, but suddenly make sense within the realm of the story?!

To top it off, and mind you this is just a personal preference, I love that the entire novel was written in blue. It sounds silly, but I feel like that really completed the whole thing.

I would definitely call this a "must read". ( )
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
This was quite possibly the most delightful book I've ever read (or listened to ;) Christopher Moore is a master of irony, weaving historical fact into an adventure I hated to end. Well written, skillfully intertwined with facts and fables and the mystical - all in one really good book! Highly recommend to anyone who is ready to end a book smiling, yet sad to have it end. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Very witty book about the muse that inspired the master painters. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morton, EuanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I always feel like a traveler, going somewhere, toward some destination. If I sense that this destination doesn't in fact exist, that seems to me quite reasonable and very likely true. -Vincent van Gogh, July 22, 1988

Well, I have risked my life for my work, and it has cost me half my reason-- -Vincent van Gogh, July 23, 1890
This is a story about the color blue.

In July 1890, Vincent van Gogh went into a cornfield and shot himself. Or did he? Why would an artist at the height of his creative powers attempt to take his own life . . . and then walk a mile to a doctor's house for help? Who was the crooked little "color man" Vincent had claimed was stalking him across France? And why had the painter recently become deathly afraid of a certain shade of blue?

These are just a few of the questions confronting Vincent's friends—baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec—who vow to discover the truth about van Gogh's untimely death. Their quest will lead them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late nineteenth-century Paris.

Oh lÀ lÀ, quelle surprise, and zut alors! A delectable confection of intrigue, passion, and art history—with cancan girls, baguettes, and fine French cognac thrown in for good measure—SacrÉ Bleu is another masterpiece of wit and wonder from the one, the only, Christopher Moore.

Baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and bon vivant Henri Toulouse-Lautrec vow to discover the truth behind the untimely death of their friend Vincent van Gogh, which leads them on a surreal odyssey and brothel-crawl deep into the art world of late-nineteenth-century Paris.… (more)

342 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible