The Shelter by James Everington

The Shelter

by James Everington

Takes after the Dan Simmons and Stephen King "school of thought", but this is not detrimental to the enjoyment of the book.

I've just finished it. It's very, very good.

The protagonist and antagonist are complex and realistic. The horror is subtle and described with subtlety.

Free up an hour and read it at a sitting. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Oh. My. Goodness. Creepy, very creepy. Everington paints a picture that is so realistic I felt like I was there among a group of boys seeking out an underground shelter to pass the time during their summer holidays. Once there, no-one wants to continue with the quest, but they are equally unwilling to back down in front of each other and one of the boys ends up stuck in the shelter alone. I did not want to put this down until I'd finished the story, but it was late and dark and I was reading alone, and quite frankly, I had to stop because I was just feeling too worked up. I am full of admiration for the author - to be able to make readers feel extremes of emotion with words on a page is nothing short of amazing. If you like your horror clever, literate and imaginative, look no further. ( )
  bibliobeck | Nov 19, 2011 |
James Everington has the rare ability to spark all of my senses as I read, without ever using wordy descriptions. One or two short sentences and I can feel the character's fear and confusion. I see the scene, taste the dust and dirt. And I can almost hear the characters breathing. From the very beginning, I was totally immersed in this story.

The Shelter incorporates a little horror, a lot of psychological suspense, some paranormal aspects and mystery. This could be a tale of madness or redemption. Either way, you won't want to put it down. ( )
1 vote Darcia | Sep 20, 2011 |

James Everington is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible