Forsaking All Others by Allison Pittman

Forsaking All Others

by Allison Pittman

It's January 1858, and Camilla Fox is rescued by the U.S. Army after getting lost in a snowstorm, and she is just barely alive. She had left her home, leaving behind her Mormon husband, and her 2 daughters, after her husband had taken a second wife. She no longer believes in the Mormon faith, and she is determined to reunite with her children, and out from under the influence of the Mormons, but first, she must return to the family farm to reconcile with her father, who is gravely ill. When she finally returns to Salt Lake City, she finds herself unprepared for the changes to the city, the church, and her family.

This is the sequel to "For Time and Eternity"; I highly recommend that you read that book before this one, so that you have an understanding of why Camilla left home 8 years earlier, and how she was deceived into the Mormon beliefs.

I really enjoyed this story, and it was hard to put down once I started reading, getting caught up in Camilla's journey and being anxious to find out if she got her children back. ( )
  mom2acat | Apr 11, 2015 |
Pittman is one of those gifted writers who are story tellers. She gets inside you and the written word transforms you into the world she has created. This is an incredible journey of a young girl who has had to grow up too quick and try to figure out who her real friends were and who she could trust.
Please read this series, you will be happy you did!
I was on a kick to read all books about mormons during the Warren Jeffs trials. I had read another book that I love called 'Escape" and it was an actual account of things happening in our news right now. While I searched for every type of book on the subject (nonfiction and fiction) I found Allison Pittman and would fall-in love with reading again. What had been an occasional hobby has become a way of life. I always have a book by my side and it is because of writers like her.
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
NCLA Review: This book is the sequel to the story of Nathan and Camilla, which was introduced in FOR TIME AND ETERNITY and ended with Camilla fleeing her husband and being caught in a snowstorm. Camilla had left her family and faith when she married Nathan, a Mormon, and moved with him to Utah. She never becomes fully committed to the Mormon religious but longs to return to her Christian faith. She and Nathan have two daughters. Then her husband takes a second sister wife. Knowing that she does not want her girls raised in the Mormon culture, she flees to her parents. She leaves the daughters behind until she can make provisions to provide a home for them. After reuniting with her parents Camilla is able to get a home ready and returns to Utah to fight for their custody. Pittman has researched the history of the early Mormon Church and its theology, which are interwoven into this story of a courageous woman’s faith journey. Rating 4 —AL ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |
FORSAKING ALL OTHERS by Allison Pittman is an exciting inspirational historical fiction set in 1858 Salt Lake City,Utah. It is book 2 of the "Sister WIfe" series,but can be read as a stand alone.See "For Time and Eternity". It is the story of Camilla Fox,a young Mormon mother of two who was said to have "abandoned her children" and her struggles to save herself and her two children from the Mormon faith. It is an amazing story of faith,love,struggles,forgiveness, healing,Mormon faith,Polyamist culture,and sacrifice. Camilla faces near death in a snowstorm after escaping her home from the Mormon faith. As she regains her strength from US Army Colonel Charles Brandon,her thoughts are always on her two children left behind and how to regain them. Camilla will face hardship,and sacrifice to gain her children back from their Mormon father. This is the story of true faith,sacrifice,courage,and struggles of a young mother out to save her children from the Mormon teachings. A must read for any who enjoy reading and gaining insights into the Mormon faith,Polyamist culture,historical fiction "Forsaking All Others" is the one for them. Received for review from the publisher. Details can be found at Tyndale and My Book Addiction Reviews. ( )
  tarenn | Dec 10, 2011 |
When I picked Forsaking All Others, I didn’t realize it was #2 in the Sister Wives series. Thankfully, the way Ms. Pittman started out her book covered what I needed to know. I’d like to go back and read the first book, For Time and Eternity, when I get the time.

I enjoy watching the TLC show “Sister Wives” because it’s such a different lifestyle than what I know so when I saw Forsaking All Others—The Sister Wives Series, I knew I needed to read it. I didn’t know much about the Mormon doctrine back in the mid-1800’s but the introductory “letter” at the beginning explained it quite well. Ms. Pittman evidently did her researched historical Mormonism and did a great job of communicating it to the reader. She was able to explain without sounding like a school lecture.

The first couple chapters seemed a little slow to me and I just couldn’t get into the book. However, after I got a few chapters under my belt and became invested in the characters, I couldn’t put it down! I enjoyed the comparison between being a Mormon and being a Christian and their relationships with God. Ms. Pittman’s perspectives and comparisons were very well written and easily understood.

Overall, I would give Forsaking All Others 3.5 stars. I hope the next book in the Sister Wives series comes soon!

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of Forsaking All Others in exchange for my personal, honest review. ( )
  iluvf14 | Oct 29, 2011 |

"Camilla Fox is alive, having been rescued from a near-fatal snowstorm after leaving her home to escape the Mormon faith she no longer calls her own. Now, as she regains her strength under the personal care of United States Army Colonel Charles Brandon, thoughts of the two children she left behind flood her mind, threatening to break her heart. Camilla is desperate to reunite with her daughters and does not want them to grow up under Mormon teachings, but she cannot provide a home for them on her own, and she will not share her husband with a sister wife. As spring arrives, Camilla returns to Salt Lake City ready to fight . . . and she won't back down until she's brought her children safely to the other side."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,582,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible