What Would Satan Do? by Anthony Miller

What Would Satan Do?

by Anthony Miller

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (leahdawn)
    leahdawn: Probably the preeminent humourous work on the apocalypse.

Really funny! A bit jerky in spots but it made me laugh out loud and that is a good thing. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
Loved the idea of this book. The beginning and the end were great but the middle was a little slow and confusing. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
We start with Satan teaching a class at a college about how the apostles were cannibals. He is plagued with frogs and other end of days plagues. But he is determined not to let the apocalypse happen. He knows that no matter what, he is going to loose, that is why he left Hell. Unfortunately, his hot temper and other worldly abilities make him stand out. His flaming orange Lamborghini is not helping either.

At the same time, Pastor William Cadmon has been guided by the angel Ezekial to find an anti-christ. Governor Dick Whitford has control of several states and is in the process of taking over the country. But he needs to find something to give him the fighting edge. After Satan torches the FBI building, he is spoted by Whitford. Unfortunately, Whitford is also on Satan’s radar which leads to him taking a cross country trip to Texas to find Whitford.

And finally, Liam McEwin used to work for the CIA. But now he runs a guitar shop with a couple stoners. He is called in to figure out what is going on with Satan and Whitford and try and stop anything from causing the apocalypse.

This was a humorous book. I loved all the sarcasm. I admit some of the sarcasm was a bit much and did get a touch tedious when it had to be over explained. One of the funniest parts was the whole fight over getting Satan’s gas turned on.

This is a good story. I really enjoyed it and I think most people will like it.

I received this book from the Library Thing Early Reader Program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Oct 1, 2013 |
A madcap, zany, sarcastic, Pratchett-esque romp through an impending apocalypse.

Anthony Miller has produced a witty, more than a little nuts, metaphorically packed tale. With characters ranging from a devil taking anger-management lessons, a would-be yogi with over-attachment issues, a slap happy female CIA agent and a hippy who is a hamper short of a picnic you know you're in for a bizarre read.

Apparently there are spelling mistakes, however, I was so engrossed that I didn't notice any (maybe they've since been fixed). The prose did tend to switch between the past and present tense, but I don't think it took much away from the story.

This book is lots of fun and definitely worth checking out. ( )
  K.Llewellin | Aug 2, 2013 |
I howled through most of this book! It was hilarious and incredibly, fantastically out there! The plot of viewing if from the 'evil' side and paring up the two beings who are suppose to be fighting each other (although the 'Jesus' isn't the real Jesus but plays in with the whole Antichrist thing) was genius! I always like the odd story that doesn't follow the typical plot lines and makes one see the other side of the coin. This tale (with a lovely play on the WWJD craze I might add) is just plain unique and out there.

However if you are devout and cannot look at your religion with an open mind STAY AWAY. There are times in this book (like the cannibal theory) that will make you angry and insulted and you'll be throwing the book and writing angry emails to the author about how he's gonna end up in the fiery pits of hell, etc... So save yourself the trouble and pick up another book. Otherwise anyone who is open and looking for a twisted play on another apocalypse story this is for you!! It's a hoot and I guarantee you'll be rooting for the Devil by the end!! ( )
  cwaldrum | Jul 17, 2012 |

Disgusted with God's plan for Judgment Day, Satan has quit his job and left Hell in favor of a quiet retirement in Washington, D.C. But life on Earth is tricky for an ex-angel with a short fuse and no impulse control. When a parking attendant mysteriously bursts into flames and a fat lady ends up in low-Earth orbit, Satan finds that he suddenly has a lot of friends at the FBI. Worse, there are signs that the governor of Texas has somehow gone ahead and started up the end of the world without him. The Prince of Darkness heads for the Lone Star State, where he tangles with a megalomaniacal televangelist, joins the Militant Arm of the American Geriatrics Association, and wields the Flaming Stick of Divine Justice at a Jesus impersonator called Festus. Through it all, one thing is clear: Someone has to put a stop to Judgment Day. Now, having spent millennia trying to wreck the place, the Devil may be the world's only hope.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Anthony Miller's book What Would Satan Do? was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible