The Veil by Cory Putman Oakes
ARC (1) First Edition (1) GR Import (1) kids (2) maybe (1) maybe-to-read (1) own (2) own-ebook (1) read (2) signed (1) teen (2) to-read (3)

Addy had no idea that turning seventeen meant her life would change and be flipped upside down. All of a sudden she starts seeing things that no one else can see. She can’t really share this information with anyone else because they will just think she is nuts. As she tries to understand what is happening to her, things get even weirder. Her long time crush, Luc, all of a sudden begins to show an interest in her. She’s been waiting for this to happen for a long time, but what she doesn’t know is that Luc has all of her answers. He knows exactly what is happening to her and why. Addy can see through “The Veil’ into a world she never even knew existed. As Addy absorbs what is happening to her, she also finds out a lot about her past, and about her parents.I love it when I pick up a book not really knowing the writing style of the author, or what exactly the story is about. I find that when I do this the story takes me by surprise. Oakes has created a world that you can easily picture in your head. Her characters are very believable and easy to relate too. The only thing I had an issue with and felt it needed just a little bit more, was the relationship between Luc and Addy. Though I love them both, I just felt there was something missing between the two. I wasn’t quite in love with them as a couple and honestly, I think the story would have been fine if they didn’t fall in love. If they had remained friends, that would have been okay with me. I think the main idea of the story and the characters alone made this story worth reading till the end and very entertaining. Addy’s Grandmother and her little posse were hilarious. You definitely have to read to understand what I am talking about LOL.Also, Addy’s best friend Nate was a huge mystery and that added to the story. I liked that I had no idea what was wrong with him or what he was going to do. Once you have him all figured out though, you can’t help but love him. There were also plenty of unexpected moments, so that was another plus.Overall, The Veil is a very enjoyable read and I would like to read the second part. If there is going to be one. Everything ran smoothly and it didn’t feel like there were any gaps in the story. It was a simple story to follow. I recommend this book. :-)3.5 stars out of 5! ( )
  DamarisGCR | Mar 7, 2012 |
The Veil is a debut novel by Cory Putnam Oakes and will be released tomorrow. The Veil is told by the main character Addy, who lives alone with her Grandmother. As she turns seventeen, she realizes not everything about her life is what it seems. I am going to start with the cover. I am not a fan of the cover- though I absolutely understand that it is an almost literal translation of one of the scenes in the book. The Annorasi are so mysterious and magical- and I feel like the cover of this book makes it seem more like a murder mystery or suspense book (that is only my interpretation, however). Like I said, I understand WHY it is the way it is, but I wish it could be a little prettier.Addy's voice is what really shines in the story. The author did a great job of narration throughout the novel. I never felt like there were any gaping holes- in any of the characters. Their relationships moved seamlessly and developed in a natural way. Yes, the relationship between Luc and Addy moves quickly- but I honestly think that is pretty natural for the age. The book does seem a little slow in the middle and stalls out a bit while the author is developing the relationship between Addy and Luc. But I absolutely reccommend holding out and reading the book to the end. I thought the pacing of the book picked up in the last third and the author did a great job with the dramatic ending (sorry no spoilers from me).I also have to say- I am very glad to hear that the author is writing a sequel. I felt like I didn't know enough at the end of the story. I didn't really learn much about the Annorasi- I still couldn't picture them. Are they fey? Do they have any physical characteristics that are different than humans? Do they have wings? I am very interested in finding out more about the world the author has created. On a last note, I really hope that Addy's grandmother and... cats... are in the next book- in my opinion, they are the characters that were the most interesting. I want to find out more about them! All in all, this was a great debut novel, and I look forward to reading more about the characters in this series! ( )
  Coranne | Dec 5, 2011 |
I really loved this book. There was so much action, connections within the story line and characters that I just had to keep reading!!

One thing I enjoyed about this book is the plot line. Ms. Oakes made it easy for the reader the connect with the characters as well as fall into story. I can say that while reading this I did nothing but smile. I loved the pacing of the story. Everything in the plot line lead up to a greater secret in the book. Loved it.

I also enjoyed how well the characters are developed. I loved that the main character, Addison, how she is kept out of the loop. It made for searching the answers much more fun along with Addison. I loved that Ms. Oakes surprises the reader by adding minor characters that not only held secrets but played a much bigger role than expected.

The love interest of this book had my giggling. I loved the whole," lets pretend to be together but hide our true feelings." The tension between the characters made me grin happily as I saw both of them slowly fall in to love with each other.

Ms. Oakes writing is special in that it grabs the reader right away. I loved how well she wrote her story with such passion and fullness. I knew that this is one story that I like right away and was not disappointed! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Oct 3, 2011 |
For Mark:

My husband, my love, and my partner in all things
It’s hard to know exactly where to begin a story like mine.

Seventeen-year-old Addison Russell is in for a shock when she discovers that she can see the invisible world of the Annorasi. Suddenly, nothing is as it appears to be--the house she lives in, the woman who raised her, even the most beautiful boy in town all turn out to be more than what they seem. And when this strange new world forces Addy to answer for a crime that was committed long ago, by parents she has never known, she has no choice but to trust Luc, the mysterious Annorasi who has been sent to protect her. Or so he says . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:13 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible