Where Mortals Dwell: A Christian View of…

Where Mortals Dwell: A Christian View of Place for Today

by Craig G. Bartholomew

551214,390 (3)None

This is the first book I've read on a "theology of place." That is both a good and a bad thing. It is good in that it helped to coalesce many concepts that had been floating around in mind in new and helpful ways. It is a bad thing in that I have no real point of comparison to other "theologies of place," and therefore no real sense of scale other than my own enjoyment.

But I DID enjoy it. Bartholomew's surveys of the biblical text, philosophy, and theology are breath-taking in their sweep and command, though it seemed apparent to me that Bartholomew is most at home in the biblical text. There were also a few points where I felt his introductions of key thinkers were a bit too abbreviated...but, again, I was reading this as my introductory text; someone well-read in the "theology of place" would no doubt recognize many names and ideas that were mysterious to me.

I found this book valuable as an important piece of contextualization for many other current theological discussions. In particular, after reading Bartholomew, I would argue that the key "missing ingredient" in current Christian theology is NOT a "theology of creation-care," but this "theology of place." To say it plainly: if we can achieve a coherent "theology of place," the issues related to Christian responsibility for creation-care, urban life, political economy, globalization, digital culture, and about a half-dozen other "hot topics" would simply fall into place.

This is a tremendous book. But I will warn you that, in places, I found Bartholomew hard to follow. The overall structure of the book was clear, but sometimes he really got "into the weeds" on some theologian or philosophical idea. ( )
  Jared_Runck | Jun 12, 2015 |

Place is fundamental to human existence. However, we have lost the very human sense of place in today's postmodern and globalized world. Craig Bartholomew, a noted Old Testament scholar and the coauthor of two popular texts on the biblical narrative, provides a biblical, theological, and philosophical grounding for place in our rootless culture. He illuminates the importance of place throughout the biblical canon, in the Christian tradition, and in the contours of contemporary thought. Bartholomew encourages readers to recover a sense of place and articulates a hopeful Christian vision of placemaking in today's world. Anyone interested in place and related environmental themes, including readers of Wendell Berry, will enjoy this compelling book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

Craig Bartholomew provides a biblical, theological, and philosophical grounding for place in our rootless culture and articulates a hopeful Christian vision of placemaking for today's world. He illuminates the importance of place throughout the biblical canon, in the Christian tradition, and in the contours of contemporary thought. --from publisher description… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,449,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible