Raylan: A Novel by Elmore Leonard

Raylan: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elmore Leonard

Member:gregoryahillsr
Title:Raylan: A Novel
Authors:Elmore Leonard
Info:William Morrow (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*

Raylan by Elmore Leonard (2012)

English (50)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
This book seems a bit of a mishmash of several stories, all involving a US Marshall named Raylan Givens. Apparently, there is a TV series about this guy. The stories were mildly interesting. Raylan grew up a sho 'nuff hillbilly coal miner in Eastern Kentucky, but left for a better life, so to speak. The first bit involves his dealing with some hill folks who grow and deal in Marijuana, but who have moved on to harvesting kidneys to sell to people. Then we morph into a story about a college senior who has turned into a pro poker player. It's all a bit on the quirky side, but makes for an ok yarn. A hundred years from now, people will still read Dickens, but Leonard will be long forgotten. Not such a terrible fate, it's the fate that follows most of us. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
I only know Elmore Leonard through the TV series Justified, which is extremely well written (or at least the dialogue is). I was disappointed by this - kind of two short stories put together into a novel. It wasn't particuarly bright or witty, though maybe that's because I heard the audiobook version. But Elmore Leonard's reputation for wit didn't seem to be fulfilled in this one, at least for me. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
Started but did not finish as I grew to dislike the narrator. He tried to match the voices of the TV characters but I found tis confusing and off putting.

I will read the book instead.

Elmore Leonard is a great writer and one of my favourites.
  blnq | Jul 19, 2018 |
Sold Elmore Leonard. Very familiar from the TV show "Justified" which follows these novels to a remarkable degree. Fine read for a summer's evening. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
I read "Raylan" by Elmore Leonard, and I really enjoyed the character of Raylan Givens, a U.S. Marshal who seems to always get his man, or in the case of this book, woman. It started out with a disgruntled transplant nurse taking kidneys from unsuspecting victims and ended with a poker playing college girl named Jackie Nevada. It was fun and a quick read. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |
For Graham and Tim
Raylan Givens was holding a federal warrant to serve on a man in the marijuana trade known and Angel Arenas, forty-seven, born in the U.S. but 100 percent of him Hispanic.
I always felt, you don't have a good time doin crime, you may as well find a job.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006211946X, Hardcover)

The revered New York Times bestselling author, recognized as “America’s greatest crime writer” (Newsweek), brings back U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens, the mesmerizing hero of Pronto, Riding the Rap, and the hit FX series Justified.

With the closing of the Harlan County, Kentucky, coal mines, marijuana has become the biggest cash crop in the state. A hundred pounds of it can gross $300,000, but that’s chump change compared to the quarter million a human body can get you—especially when it’s sold off piece by piece.

So when Dickie and Coover Crowe, dope-dealing brothers known for sampling their own supply, decide to branch out into the body business, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens to stop them. But Raylan isn’t your average marshal; he’s the laconic, Stetson-wearing, fast-drawing lawman who juggles dozens of cases at a time and always shoots to kill. But by the time Raylan finds out who’s making the cuts, he’s lying naked in a bathtub, with Layla, the cool transplant nurse, about to go for his kidneys.

The bad guys are mostly gals this time around: Layla, the nurse who collects kidneys and sells them for ten grand a piece; Carol Conlan, a hard-charging coal-mine executive not above ordering a cohort to shoot point-blank a man who’s standing in her way; and Jackie Nevada, a beautiful sometime college student who can outplay anyone at the poker table and who suddenly finds herself being tracked by a handsome U.S. marshal.

Dark and droll, Raylan is pure Elmore Leonard—a page-turner filled with the sparkling dialogue and sly suspense that are the hallmarks of this modern master.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

When Federal Marshall Raylan Givens squares off against a known offender, he will warn the man, "If I have to pull my gun I'll shoot to kill." Except this time he finds the offender naked in a bathtub, doped up and missing his kidneys. Raylan knows there's big money in body parts, but by the time he finds out who is making the cuts, he is lying naked in a bathtub himself, Layla, the cool transplant nurse, about to go for his kidneys. It turns out all the bad guys Raylan is after are girls this time: the nurse who collects kidneys and sells them for ten grand apiece. Carol Conlan, the mine company executive who comes to Harlan County to sell mountaintop removal, shoots a miner who wastes her time, then meets the miner's widow in a scene you won't forget. The third girl's only offense is missing a court date. Jackie Nevada plays high-stakes poker for a living and is last seen in the shower with Raylan.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible