Friends Like Us: A Novel by Lauren Fox

Friends Like Us: A Novel

by Lauren Fox

Friends Like Us may be marketed as your typical chick-lit novel, but it is so much more than that. Fox realistically portrays the friendship between two young twenty-something: Willa, a writer struggling to get by writing advertising copy for tea and mascara, and Jane, a poet who finds inspiration while cleaning houses. Willa, the novel’s narrator, believes that their friendship can withstand anything until Ben, Willa’s nerdy best friend from high school and Jane’s new boyfriend, gets in the middle. The story is both bittersweet and funny, and will keep readers guessing until the very end.

Laura H. / Marathon County Public Library

Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Hmmm...I read the entire story. A self-absorbed young woman sees the flaws in everyone else but herself. Enlightening? No. ( )
  sraelling | Jun 30, 2017 |
it just ended...with no resolution. ugh, I kept going...even when I wanted to just stop reading...but no, I wanted to know how it ended for them and was left with nothing. that was frustrating. I would have rated it higher, as there were some clever parts.... but the ending literally and figuratively angered me. ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
I don't know what to say about this book, it was that good. I read it every chance I got, which isn't saying I read fast - the book almost demands you read it slowly, to fully appreciate the language, especially the puns, oh the puns! Absolutely delightful. The plot itself was very interesting, with a touch of mystery, since the prologue is set in present day, and the story goes back to explain how the characters got to that point. Willa and Ben were best friends in high school who lost touch; Willa and Jane are best friends and college roommates. When Willa goes to her high school reunion and reconnects with Ben, she finds out that he had been in love with her for years. As they rekindle their friendship, however, Ben falls for Jane. Fox's style is realistic, hilarious, and phenomenal, and I'm eager to read her previous novel, as well as anything that follows. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I'm really torn on 3 or 4 stars. It would be like 3.75 so I'm rounding up. I found this book very enjoyable and readable, liked the humour, but of course it wouldn't end well. And it didn't. So it was sad but still good. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
"Fox's realistic take on the growing pains of young adulthood grips the reader to the final page. Anyone who has suffered the loss of a friendship will embrace this thoughtful novel."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Anne M. Miskewitch (Nov 1, 2011)

For Andrew
This is what I'm thinking about when I see her: I'm thinking about a Saturday morning, six years ago, when Jane and I decided to make omelets.
An oddball on her own is a pitiable creature, but two weirdos together are a fortress.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030726811X, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Eleanor Brown on Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox

Eleanor Brown is the author of the New York Times and national bestselling debut novel, The Weird Sisters.

I am fascinated by this thing we call adulthood. When I was younger, I assumed that at some point in the hazy, distant future, I would magically transform into an adult, with all the confidence and organization I saw in the grown-ups around me.

Of course we all know now the process of becoming an adult is complex—equally joyous and painful. Years or decades in, we find ourselves still fumbling around in one way or another, doing the best we can, and occasionally stumbling across a miracle.

Lauren Fox’s Friends Like Us powerfully illustrates these painful, joyful moments as we cross the tricky threshold of adulthood. Willa, the novel’s whip-smart and laugh-out-loud funny narrator, is a loyal and devoted daughter, sister, and friend, especially to her roommate, Jane. Willa and Jane’s friendship is giddily intimate—their drive to “establish and reestablish the specific degree of our astounding similarities” is a reminder of teenage friendships lost and a harbinger of the coming end of their protracted adolescence. They are overeducated and underemployed, and nearing the time in their lives when those things will become frustrating rather than charming. Willa’s only broken relationship is with her high-school best friend, Ben, so when she runs into him at a reunion, she is delighted to welcome him back into her life, and thrilled to connect her friendships with Jane and Ben into a circle.

I cringed and laughed sympathetically watching Willa, Jane, and Ben try to navigate their way through this new relationship, opening a door to adulthood that they are not all ready to go through. Someone, inevitably, must be left behind, someone must be left out, and all of them have to change, whether they want to or not.

Friends Like Us is funny most of the time, and devastating when it’s not. It is a novel about loyalty, identity, and lost chances. It is also about what happens to friendships as we grow up, and how we fight even the right changes in all the wrong ways. Lauren Fox is a smart, clever writer, with a heartbreakingly keen insight into human nature. Friends Like Us may possess a light exterior and an effervescent sense of humor, but beneath these easy pleasures lies a beautifully complicated and true heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:59 -0400)

Sharing a relationship that causes many to mistake them for sisters, best friends Willa and Jane work freelance jobs and enjoy each other's company until an old high school buddy from Willa's past unexpectedly falls in love with Jane.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,541,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible