Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox

Friends Like Us

by Lauren Fox

I'm really torn on 3 or 4 stars. It would be like 3.75 so I'm rounding up. I found this book very enjoyable and readable, liked the humour, but of course it wouldn't end well. And it didn't. So it was sad but still good. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
I keep picking up books about friends. This one I found both enjoyable and frustrating. I liked the characters, I liked the characters enough that I wanted to give them the V-8 smack when they did things to screw up their friendships. And the ending, oh the ending, too many loose ends, no closure, too much like real life.
  CarolO | Nov 14, 2012 |
It was about five seconds between reading the sample on my Kindle and hitting "buy this book." I was so drawn in to the characters that all I wanted to do was hang out with them some more, as soon as possible. A fun yet bittersweet book that I'm already wanting to re-read it. ( )
  RachelRJ | Apr 9, 2012 |
Nice literary fiction about three best friends who try to cruise through that weird period after college and before marriage. I'm not a huge fan of literary fiction, but I can see the pull of this one and it was written well and had some good funny moments. ( )
  lovejoy_rat | Mar 9, 2012 |
"Fox's realistic take on the growing pains of young adulthood grips the reader to the final page. Anyone who has suffered the loss of a friendship will embrace this thoughtful novel."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Anne M. Miskewitch (Nov 1, 2011)

For Andrew
This is what I'm thinking about when I see her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 030726811X, Hardcover)

Guest Reviewer: Eleanor Brown on Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox

Eleanor Brown is the author of the New York Times and national bestselling debut novel, The Weird Sisters.

I am fascinated by this thing we call adulthood. When I was younger, I assumed that at some point in the hazy, distant future, I would magically transform into an adult, with all the confidence and organization I saw in the grown-ups around me.

Of course we all know now the process of becoming an adult is complex—equally joyous and painful. Years or decades in, we find ourselves still fumbling around in one way or another, doing the best we can, and occasionally stumbling across a miracle.

Lauren Fox’s Friends Like Us powerfully illustrates these painful, joyful moments as we cross the tricky threshold of adulthood. Willa, the novel’s whip-smart and laugh-out-loud funny narrator, is a loyal and devoted daughter, sister, and friend, especially to her roommate, Jane. Willa and Jane’s friendship is giddily intimate—their drive to “establish and reestablish the specific degree of our astounding similarities” is a reminder of teenage friendships lost and a harbinger of the coming end of their protracted adolescence. They are overeducated and underemployed, and nearing the time in their lives when those things will become frustrating rather than charming. Willa’s only broken relationship is with her high-school best friend, Ben, so when she runs into him at a reunion, she is delighted to welcome him back into her life, and thrilled to connect her friendships with Jane and Ben into a circle.

I cringed and laughed sympathetically watching Willa, Jane, and Ben try to navigate their way through this new relationship, opening a door to adulthood that they are not all ready to go through. Someone, inevitably, must be left behind, someone must be left out, and all of them have to change, whether they want to or not.

Friends Like Us is funny most of the time, and devastating when it’s not. It is a novel about loyalty, identity, and lost chances. It is also about what happens to friendships as we grow up, and how we fight even the right changes in all the wrong ways. Lauren Fox is a smart, clever writer, with a heartbreakingly keen insight into human nature. Friends Like Us may possess a light exterior and an effervescent sense of humor, but beneath these easy pleasures lies a beautifully complicated and true heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:53 -0400)

Sharing a relationship that causes many to mistake them for sisters, best friends Willa and Jane work freelance jobs and enjoy each other's company until an old high school buddy from Willa's past unexpectedly falls in love with Jane.

152 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible