Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your…

Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your Children Feel Special Every Day

by Susan Newman

422273,462 (5)None

This is the perfect little book for any parents, especially working parents who spend lots of time away from their kids traveling or working. Dr. Newman has put together a treasure trove of idea to help you think of ideas to not only spend more meaningful time with your kids, but to also make sure that they will remember these moments for a lifetime.

Organized into categories from the basics of making memories to ideas that take anywhere from five minutes to an hour, each tip or idea can be taken and immediately put into action. This isn't something you want to read cover to cover, but to browse from time to time when your strapped as to what to do with the kids. It's really the perfect gift for new parents and for baby showers for this reason.

I have two boys, aged four and six months. These tips are things we've already made an effort to do with them or have done several times in the past, in the case of our oldest, but there were hundreds of "little things" that were wide open for us still. You will have to look and assess and determine what will work best for your kids and family, but there truly is something here for everyone and any age child. ( )
  chensel477 | Dec 17, 2014 |
Twenty years ago, Susan Newman wrote the original version of LITTLE THINGS LONG REMEMBERED. She decided to rewrite the book with some updates related to more parents working and the constant influence of technology in our lives. With busier schedules and technology making the personal interactions less relevant, this book is even more important to families. Newman shows how to carve out even five minutes of special time with your child, building memories, creating traditions, and finding ways to have fun without devices. This book is for working parents or stay-at-home parents, grandparents, godparents, aunts and uncles. Anyone who wants to make a child feel important. Newman has come up with hundreds of ideas, some taking only minutes, and many sent to her from other parents, and compiled them all into this little book. The book is divided into chapters with anywhere from five minute activities to weekend activities as well as ways to honor special days and make new traditions. There are activities you can do with your toddler as well as your high-school-age child. Your child is never to old to find a way to make them feel special.

Some of the ideas were new to me such as having each member of the family choose a stock and follow its rise and fall in the market. Choosing companies that mean something to each person, whether it is the company that makes their favorite toy or favorite food, makes the activity more fun while also being educational. Other ideas like having a one-on-one date with your child or sharing their birth story with your child on their birthday are fun memories we have made in our family and and ones our children look forward to.

If you travel a lot for work, there are ideas for making your child feel special even while you are away. I found the Sick Day chapter especially helpful since I had a child sick at home at that time. Making even a sick day fun in the tiniest way can help break up the boredom.

I highly recommend this book as the perfect book for someone having a baby, for Christmas, or for a new grandparent. I have no doubt you will find plenty of current and fun ideas to make your child feel special. ( )
  Staciele | Dec 8, 2014 |

Five hundred realistic, simple, and inexpensive ideas for strengthening family ties and fostering traditions that children will remember for a lifetime. Pick and choose from scores of ideas for Parents Who Travel and for special circumstances such as Sick Days, Holidays, and Birthdays. 25 line drawings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:14 -0400)

Susan Newman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,063,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible